My first ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just tried sun chokes for the first time 2 nights ago.

Looks like I'm going to be planting some in my garden, as they like my northern climate.
Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If you plant some Jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes I hope you read this first:

Sunchokes

They've very easy to grow---- in fact almost TOO easy! :) Dedicate a sorta out of the way spot in your garden. The word 'invasive' might be used for them---- but perhaps you can channel that into a plus.

I liked them best served raw. Sometimes I peeled and cubed them and used them as a substitute for water chestnuts in stir fry, thrown in at the last minute.

The only minus is they're lumpy little buggers so peeling them is harder than peeling a potato.

Gophers will enjoy them too.

The only minus is they're lumpy little buggers so peeling them is harder than peeling a potato.
I don't grow them but when I pick them out to buy I go for the bigger ones, cut off each end so it sits stable on the cutting board, trim off the knobs and then peel the rest of it with a bird's beak paring knife or just cut it down the sides the way one peels a grapefruit for sectioning. Not too much work.
What I hate prepping is fresh turmeric, but only because they are so small and stain terribly. At least I don't use more than one or two of those at a time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom