"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Naan Bread Advice

Hi All!

I did this recipe last night and tonight...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...asy-naan-bread

I used yeast in it and strong white bread flour instead of plain flour. I found more flour was needed too (it was half the recipe I did too as it was for just myself) but more flour was needed. Last night I did it under the grill for about 7 and a half minutes and tonight in the oven for 15 minutes. I kept putting it back in as it didn't look cooked enough. It still wasn't completely fully cooked all the way through after 15 mins at 180c. About 97% cooked lol!

Anyway, neither times did the naan bread come out proper fluffy like you'd get from a shop bought one.

How can I remedy this? is more kneading needed? or maybe I should left the dough more doughy rather than adding more flour? or maybe try plain flour?

Thanks!

ChocFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:36 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocFingers View Post
Hi All!

I did this recipe last night and tonight...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...asy-naan-bread

I used yeast in it and strong white bread flour instead of plain flour. I found more flour was needed too (it was half the recipe I did too as it was for just myself) but more flour was needed. Last night I did it under the grill for about 7 and a half minutes and tonight in the oven for 15 minutes. I kept putting it back in as it didn't look cooked enough. It still wasn't completely fully cooked all the way through after 15 mins at 180c. About 97% cooked lol!

Anyway, neither times did the naan bread come out proper fluffy like you'd get from a shop bought one.

How can I remedy this? is more kneading needed? or maybe I should left the dough more doughy rather than adding more flour? or maybe try plain flour?

Thanks!
I’ve only made naan once. I made them in a screaming hot 12” cast iron skillet. Sprinkle or spritz the naan with a bit of water, throw them onto the skillet one at a time. When the bubbles start to form (it happens very quickly) flip the naan and cook for another minute or so.

The reason I’ve only made these once is because of the enormous amount of smoke this method produces.

180C doesn’t sound near hot enough to cook naan. It’s only about 350F. Tandoor ovens are wicked hot. If I were baking the naan, I’d crank my oven up to full temp, like for pizza!

Old 04-18-2018, 05:22 AM   #3
Head Chef

Change recipe and go for Madhur Jaffreys nan recipe, I have no problems with that at all. Yes I have tried this one and my god that was failure.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Change recipe and go for Madhur Jaffreys nan recipe, I have no problems with that at all. Yes I have tried this one and my god that was failure.
Thanks for your post. I have been looking for a good recipe to use in my pizza kettle.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I just buy it at Costco, freeze and use as needed.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I just buy it at Costco, freeze and use as needed.
The OP is in the UK, so that's not an option.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Buy what at Costco? yes I'm in the UK.

So I've just made the dough for the Madhur Jeffrys Naan Bread. The dough was extremely sticky so I added quite a bit more flour. The other recipe I did too. Is this wrong? for Madhur Jeffry's, I did half the ingredients but ended up adding about another 4 or 5 tablespoons of strong white bread flour, is that flour wrong too? I added more flour as it was just a sticky glupey mess and I couldn't get it off my fingers.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Head Chef

What brand of flour did you use? I shall ask my father in law, he also uses Madhurs with no problem and he still in Scotland.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Stick with Madhur Jaffrey's recipe - it's easy to make and it does the job, i.e. you can fill the pocket very well. Madhur Jaffrey's recipe is reliable, and you can't go wrong with it. I still use it now, even though here in Italy it's difficult to get the spices are difficult to find here, so I use the recipe for middle European dishes and particulaly Lebanese dishes.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
What brand of flour did you use? I shall ask my father in law, he also uses Madhurs with no problem and he still in Scotland.
Just a supermarket own brand (Strong white bread flour) and it turned out ok but as I say, I had to use about 3 or 4 tablespoons more flour or is it s'posed to be really sticky, and I mean really gooey / sticky before proving?
Old 04-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
Head Chef

It shouldnt, but flour is a bit tricky when it comes to breads, it all about how much it absorb. I didnt like Tescos strong breadflour, it was worse then my plain Swedish one, hardly absorbed any liquid.

Tags
bread