Natural food coloring for marshmallows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julia Ride

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone. Hope to get some of your advices that will answer my question.
Few days ago I was making marshmallows.

tumblr_o6th9kqzpb1v7whewo1_1280.jpg

They turned out pretty good, but I would like to make them colorful next time. Are there any natural food colorings that can be used for marshmallows or the only option is to buy bottles with food coloring?

what are the proportions?
Sorry - I just know that it is a natural food colouring.

Trial and error might be the way to go unless you can find a link where marshmallows are coloured in this way. Maybe do a small batch and try it out?

Try googling "natural food dye." There are dyes labeled as totally plant based, non-GMO, vegan. They are supposedly flavorless according to reviews on Amazon.

You apparently can make them with fresh mint. I'd think you could use orange zest for orange flavored and colored ones, same for lime, lemon. I saw a recipe using saffron too. Even a mojito flavored MM.

I made a batch once with the oldest GD. It was fun but we've never done it again. Maybe I'll ask her if she wants to do that next time she spends the week with us and we'll try some flavored ones.

Amoretti sells natural food colors that do not fade or change color after a few days. They ain't cheap, but a little goes a long way so they will last a long time, a lot longer than supermarket food colors.

Back
Top Bottom