Need a little help for my cupcake :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littleaoa

Assistant Cook
I am new to this forum. This is the first thread I post. :)
(and please let me know if I post it the wrong place)

Does anybody know what's wrong with my cupcake? (It is an apple crumble cupcake)

It worked fine for the first time. But this time using the same recipe...terrible

Why?;(

Sent from my D6503 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Attachments

• 1429266902341.jpg
    1429266902341.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 179
I know what might be the culprit :'(
I just remember I used cake flour (expire soon) instead of AP flour . Protein around 8.5. Does it matter?

Attachments

• 1429268542172.jpg
    1429268542172.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 1429268554451.jpg
    1429268554451.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 164
I know what might be the culprit :'(
I just remember I used cake flour (expire soon) instead of AP flour . Protein around 8.5. Does it matter?

Actually it can matter, not as much the age of the flour, but that cake flour will contain less gluten (protein) which will result in a weaker structure. Since this recipe has heavy ingredients like chopped apples, that structure is needed to keep it from collapsing.

Actually it can matter, not as much the age of the flour, but that cake flour will contain less gluten (protein) which will result in a weaker structure. Since this recipe has heavy ingredients like chopped apples, that structure is needed to keep it from collapsing.

Good Call Bakechef. For any quickbreads using heavier ingredient, i.e. carrot cake, zuchini bread, banana bread, ,many coffee cakes, etc. the recipes call for AP flour. If you don't happen to have AP flour in the house, you can add vital Wheat gluten to the cake flour. If you don't have vital wheat gluten, extra egg can provide the structure.

There are may paths to the top of the mountain, Grasshoppah. But stay away from Cheif Longwind. He'll use you as bait to catch good fish.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I see~
Thank you guys for helping me out :D

FYI - Yu mentioned expiration date, I store my odd flour that I don't use all the time in the freezer, cake flour, whole wheat, bread, self rising, Also my cornmeal. I just measure out what I need and then let it come to room temp. Never ever had a problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom