Need help planning a meal. Postpartum women

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
This Friday I have to cook for a group of women that are either VERY pregnant or have recently given birth. I'm having a hard time coming up with a menu that will be comfortable for these women. I really have no idea what to do. This is as stumped as I have ever been.

To the best of my knowledge there are no allergy restrictions or foods to simply stay away from. I know to stay away from spicey or gassy foods only from the experiences I have had with my wife.

Please... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could do something that will make them feel as though they are getting something special, like, grilled chicken with alfredo sauce and noodles or something to that effect. Maybe some chocolate dessert. Do you have a bakery that has the little bite sized eclairs or a Sam's warehouse? They have them. I craved chocolate after my kid's were born, as I had to watch it since I already had hypertension and had to stay away from a lot of things.
Maybe someone will have the perfect thing for you. Good luck!!

Well, as a mother let me tell you anything that is homemade from someone elses kitchen is a treat. a green salad with lots of stuff in it comes to mind. marinated flank steak or ? something on the grill does sound good. and well prepared hot crispy french bread.

I should mention that it sould be relatively easy and quick. So far the suggestions are really good. Keep them coming. I rally haven't heard teh 'magic' meal yet.

this came from BangBang on another thread. Doesn't sound too hard.

BRAISED BEEF TIPS

2 tbsp. butter
2 lbs. beef sirloin tips, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can beef consomme
1/3 c. cranberry cocktail
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. onion salt
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. water
4 c. hot cooked rice
Melt butter in large skillet and brown meat on all sides. Stir in consomme, cranberry cocktail, soy sauce, garlic, and onion salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for one hour or until meat is tender. Blend cornstarch and water; stir gradually into the stew. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and boils. Cook 1 minute more. Serve over rice. Serves

mmmmm Something light, yet filling, that tastes wonderful and still gives them the pleasure of knowing that they are eating healthy at the same time.

Quiche and a salad. Or a salad with a touch of meat or shrimp as the centerpiece and a nice veggie for a side. Or a nice, warm soup with panini.

:heart:
Z

I like the quiche and salad idea, the chicken idea, but Im a seafood lover so I would venture to say that most that love seafood would love a baked stuffed shrimp, also lasagna with a salad and crusty bread. I was wondering if you know what any of the preggies are craving? You also have to keep in mind the women that have had their babies probably want to lose weight. So I think chicken or fish would satisfy both, as well as the quiche and salads.

Ditto on the salad, especially if there are lots of goodies in it! Perhaps a "build your own salad bar" with various veggies, meats, hard boiled egg, cold pastas, etc...? You can pre-cut everything first, and this way if there are any vegetarians, they're catered to, and those craving extra protein can be taken care of as well.

Also, while some enjoy a good seafood dinner, there are others that may not. I do remember going to a couple of large banquets when I was pregnant where I was served seafood and ended up going hungry, as I don't eat it. Also, it does tend to make some pregnant moms queasy.

PS - keep in mind chocolate has caffeine (even though it's not a large amount, it is caffeinated), and when I was pregnant and nursing it was a huge no-no for me. Even decaf has 3%, so you may want to make sure there's lots of water, milk, or juice for the ladies. Sparkling cider may be a nice option.

How about two casseroles: One of Chicken, Ziti and Broccoli*, and the other of Baked Ziti and Meat Sauce (or Lasagna). Comfort food!

Serve with tossed salad and great bread.

And for dessert, build your own SUNDAES!!!

Lee

*Ziti with Chicken, Broccoli and Cheese

I order this dish in restaurants, and so far, this is recipe is the closest I've found to duplicating at home.

1 stick of butter
1 c. white wine
1/3 c. olive oil
1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken
1 Bunch of broccoli
1 lb. box of ziti's with lines
5 cloves of garlic, minced
Grated Romano cheese

Melt butter in deep skillet. Add oil and garlic. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Add wine and bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low for 20 minutes. Cut broccoli into small bite size pieces and steam in microwave for 8 minutes. Cut chicken into thin bite size pieces and cook in the butter, garlic and oil. Remove chicken when done and saute broccoli in butter, garlic and oil for 5 minutes. Sprinkle broccoli with Romano cheese. Add cooked ziti with broccoli and chicken, and add more Romano cheese.

Never having had a baby, I can't be sure, but isn't broccoli a food that generates gas? If any of the new moms are nursing, the babies are going to pay the price.

I think you would be very happy if you went for a nice selection of "nibbly" type items. That way, those who don't want much can pick at it and those who do can load up. I was one of those pregnant women who could decimate a buffet without any ill effects.

I would try:

Spring Rolls
Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Teriyaki chicken skewers
Shrimp ring
Cheese/Cracker/Pickle/garlic sausage plate
Veggie/dip plate

Fruit Plate
Rich rich dessert! Chocolate eclairs maybe?

None of those will take a long time to do. (You can pick up the scallops at Costco or Sams club.) But the ladies will appreciate the large choice. I think you can then make them feel special with really nice wine glasses, plates, pretty napkins that sort of thing.

Good luck Home Chef.

I would put a soup somewhere on the menu. Something perhaps like pureed pumpkin and parmesan or potato and leek. Neither take too long and are very elegant.

They can be a little time consuming, but homemade cinnamon buns with cream cheese or butter cream frosting would probably be my dessert or choice this time of year.

I had gawdawful heartburn when I was pregnant, so I would recommend that you consider that in your menu planning. A glass of apple cidar would have eaten me alive. Ice cream was my friend, though.
I nursed my kids, and followed the doctors rules, which were pretty strict back then...no chocolate, no onions, etc. Now they let nursing mothers eat just about anything, or at least my daughter's doctor did, and little Jesse did fine.

The first thing I craved when I got home from the hospital was vegetable soup. Jello with fruit in it was something that also tasted really good to me.

If you want to go with seafood, how about a nice seafood pasta? I posted a recipe under the recent "Alfredo Sauce" thread that is not too terribly rich. I'd offer a second entree also...perhaps a chicken and rice with vegies or shepherd's pie. Complete the meal with a 7-layer salad and toasted French bread, and finish off with ice cream and cookies for dessert.

Zereh said:
mmmmm Something light, yet filling, that tastes wonderful and still gives them the pleasure of knowing that they are eating healthy at the same time.

Quiche and a salad. Or a salad with a touch of meat or shrimp as the centerpiece and a nice veggie for a side. Or a nice, warm soup with panini.

:heart:
Z
Great idea.

OP- the very pregnant women are likely going to be very prone to heartburn, and there isn't much room for food.

On the other hand, the new mothers are HOPEFULLY breastfeeding (I say that because I'm a volunteer breastfeeding support mommy) and are going to be RAVENOUS. They need to eat several hundred more calories a day than a non-breastfeeding woman, but they are likely trying to shed some baby weight, so something healthy.

Also remember that you have to be careful with the following foods for pregnant women: some seafoods, shellfish, soft cheeses, processed meats (deli, sausages, etc.), and of course, other than fruits and veggies, nothing raw.

So, you might want to have something light like soup and salad for the preggo mommies and then a hearty main dish, too. Things like broccoli and onions can make breastfed babies gassy, btw, so I'd avoid that.

Last edited:
Maybe something light like, strawberry spinach salad, seafood quiche, croissants, a killer chocolate dessert... perhaps a sangria-like libation made with cidar (guessing alcohol is a no-no). Appys - stuffed shrooms or fruit, cheese, cracker plates or kebobs... fondue anyone?

Edited to add: Little frozen fruit salads - think I posted the recipe in his forum. If you're interested, I could post it again.

Strawberry Hearts
1 roll (17 to 18 oz.) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
2 pkgs. (8 oz. ea.) cream cheese, softened
2/3 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. sliced fresh strawberries

Roll out dough, cut out hearts & bake as directed on pkg. Combine cream cheese, sugar & vanilla, mix well. Spread evenly on cooled hearts, top evenly with strawberries.

Makes about 2 dozen hearts.

Last edited:
Very pregnant,?nothing really spicy(heartburn...I remember that feeiling, not nice) new breastfeeding mom's? no onions, cabbage, broccoli or anything that causes flatulence, bad for baby, the parents will be up all night!. Cook simple and everyone will be happy. Avoid lots of spices for the whole group and they will thank you.

When I was about 8 months pregnant with my first, I called the doctor one night about 10:00, and told him I was in labor. He asked how far apart the contractions were, and I told him it hurt all the time.
He asked what I'd had for supper. We had just gotten some wonderful sweet potatoes from grandpa's farm in Louisiana, and my husband had told me how to just bake them at eat with butter, like a regular potato. They tasted so good that I ate 4 of them. Grandpa had also sent us some cabbage, and I ate some of that too.
Let me just say I don't recommend either of the above for your dinner.

Last edited:
This strikes me as funny, because I just promised a daughter of a friend a sushi party as soon as her baby is born. Another friend wanted nothing more than a bourbon and ginger ale the entire time she was PG, and was so happy when she could have one (no, she isn't an alcoholic, she just had a taste for it). A sister wanted nothing but pasta and red sauce. Having never been PG myself, I just go with the flow, and I suspect no one could predict what would be perfect for more than a few women, what they want is as individual as the women themselves. In fact, all three of my little sisses and multiple friends ate lots of whatever food I put on the table, and lots of what I brought to their homes after the babies were born. I did (and do) pay attention to what they're absolutely dying for during the pregnancy, and when it is safe for them, I fix that. For a group, I'd make a pasta with a cheese sauce (in the winter; in summer maybe a cold pasta dish), a salad, and a nice desert with a little chocolate in it (probably something like vanilla ice cream or plain cheesecake with a very little shaved chocolate as a trim). One time a little sis of mine and I were going through a grocery store, and I was eyeing chocolates, she was eyeing the wine rack. We cracked up. "You can tell I'm pregnant and you're PMS!" She almost never drinks, and I don't like sweets. It's just impossible to predict. Do what you like and you'll do fine.

Back
Top Bottom