Need Help With Rice Cooker Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjm1027

Assistant Cook
I am new to this site and would like some help with Rice Cookers.
I am interested in purchasing either a 5 or 10 cup rice cooker. I am not sure what to get because I don't understand what 5 or 10 cups means. Is it dry rice or cooked rice?

the next question is can you cook meals in a rice cooker. Some say yes and others say no. I have seen cookbooks with some very good recipes. if this is true maybe it would be best to purchase the 10 cup for that reason?

Anything else you can tell me about rice cookers would be great.

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome to the site Steve. Generally, the cup measurement on rice cookers is not a US cup. It is smaller. I think, but could be wrong, that it is about 5 or 6 ounces as opposed to 8n for a US cup. So a 5 or 10 cup pot will make less than 5 or 10 cups respectfully. How many people are you cooking for? Just you or one other person? The 5 should be fine. Family of 4? The 5 could work, but the 10 would probably be more comfortable.

Depending on the unit, most you can cook entire meals in, using it as a steamer.

There are basically 2 ranges of rice cookers. On one end you have the inexpensive models (around $20). Most of these work great. You put in the water and rice and turn it on. It shuts off on its own when it's done.

The second type is the expensive (over $100) type. These do the same as the inexpensive, but you will have other options. Mine for instance can be set up to be done cooking at the time I pick. They also have settings for different types of rice or other foods. I have settings for white rice, sushi rice, brown rice, porrage. etc.

Both types will get the job done. If you have the money to spend then the expensive kinds are great, but if you don't then don't worry. The less expensive kinds usually work great too.

Steve,

I recently bought an Aroma rice cooker at Target for under $30 dollars. It cooks both brown and white rice and has a steamer basket so that I can steam veggies or meat while it cooks. I've not had much opportunity to explore it, but I also bought a cookbook that had meals made with one rice cooker.

From what I can tell, my cooker can make soup, pasta, and of course rice. I can place the rice and seasonings with veggies in the cooker part and steam fish or whatever in the top. There seem to be a lot I can do with the cooker, but I have not had it long enough to tell you how yummy it is.

I bought a rice cooker because my boss always brings one to our pot luck lunches and, 30-40 minutes before lunch, he tosses items together and it always comes out delicious.

~Kathleen

Thanks for the replies. I have 4 in the family but will go for the 10 cup based on the cups being smaller than US.
Looks like it will be fun to learn.
Thanks

We bought our rice cooker at Target for about 24 dollars and we love it. Granted, I've never cooked anything but rice in it, but the fact that I could if I wanted to is pretty awesome. :)

I ended up getting the 5.5 cup Zojirushi because I heard you can't cook less than 2 cups at once. So we decided to get the 5.5 cup. I am sure we will love it. Thanks to everyone that helped.
Thanks,
Steve

We bought our rice cooker at Target for about 24 dollars and we love it. Granted, I've never cooked anything but rice in it, but the fact that I could if I wanted to is pretty awesome. :)

While we're talking rice cookers, I have a question. Are they limited to using water for the liquid? I cook rice in stock as often as I do water.

Thanks, I'm heading into town tomorrow...may be coming home with a new toy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom