Need ideas for liver.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i just fry up some chicken livers in evoo with some shallots,garlic,dried chilli flakes,salt,black pepper,a splash of balsamico & dry white wine.chicken livers need to be cooked pink inside imo........oh boy:yum:!

Lamb Sweetbreads As Alternative

:yum: Buon Giorno, Good Morning, Tom,

Animelle in Italian, Moleja in Portuguese, Ris in French, Bries in German and Mollejas in Spanish, are Sweetbreads in English and quite a classic delicacy in Spain ... and especially in Madrid & Andalusian Tapas Bars.

They are a delicacy very similiar to lamb liver or calves liver in profile and texture ...

Calves Liver Ventian Style has always been on our at home bill of fare ... Surprised to see that others also appreciate the benefits and the taste of calves liver ...

Thanks for posting,
Margi.

:yum: Buon Giorno, Good Morning, Tom,

Animelle in Italian, Moleja in Portuguese, Ris in French, Bries in German and Mollejas in Spanish, are Sweetbreads in English and quite a classic delicacy in Spain ... and especially in Madrid & Andalusian Tapas Bars.

They are a delicacy very similiar to lamb liver or calves liver in profile and texture ...

Calves Liver Ventian Style has always been on our at home bill of fare ... Surprised to see that others also appreciate the benefits and the taste of calves liver ...

Thanks for posting,
Margi.
sweetbreads refer to a variety of glands/offal from the thyroid glands in the neck to the testicles at the other end of a variety of animals and everything in between.they are cooked in different ways from poaching in milk to coating & frying.it is too much of a generalisation/blanket statement imo to say that they have a similar profile/texture to liver as most,when cooked correctly tend to have a texture far softer than liver again imo/experience.
i am curious that you say that you are surprised that others appreciate calves liver.perhaps enjoy would be a better way to put it,"appreciate" sounds a bit condescending imo.why are you surprised?i don't know about other parts of the world but,certainly over here liver is a popular dish as in liver & bacon,often features in the "full british breakfast" fry up & calves liver is readily available in most of our supermarkets.i have been eating calves liver since i was a child

Buon Giorno, Good Morning Bolas,

I am uncertain, exactly, what you are asking me.

I had posted a terrine and combined loin of pork 400 grams diced in tiny cubes and chicken liver 150 grams. See photo.
OK I will spell it out, if you clic on the link in my post it will take you to you "family terrine recipe" which is a rather clumsy version of a meat loaf, it uses 400grms of pork loin and 150grms of calves liver.Then in this thread you claim you have never tried calves liver in a terrine.

LOL! That's because mama told us it was good for us--iron! (Personally, I think it was because it was cheap, meat, and could be the meat item between pay checks--but that is the cynic in me.)

I think both are true. There is a lots of iron in liver, and people with iron deficioncy should eat it. But to rip the benefit od that iron,liver should be eaten nearly row.

Mollejas ( Lamb Sweetbreads ) & Calves Liver

In Spain, the only country, where " I have ever had Lamb Sweetbreads", as I stated in my prior post, and are considered a delicacy and are quite popular in the Pintxo Bars of Bilbao or San Sebastián, and The Tapas Bars of Andalusia and Madrid Capital.

They are dredged in flour and sautéed in Evoo with a lamb stock and wine reduction if I recall ---

We are in Italia having our apartment reformed we had them at two distinct bars, and I recall " the creamy smooth interior texture to be best described as stating they are similiar to very tender calves liver Venice Style, dredged and prepared with caramelized onions; verses the textures of a roast or lobster " ...

Liver: My Italian Grandmom used to prepare calves liver Ventian Style, where it is highly appreciated. We have it when we go up to Veneto to see our Venetian native friends or my younger daughter when she travels over for business.

Your question: rarity on menus outside of Italian restaurants or Diners on interstate highways.

Bolas: My Mom´s Swiss French recipe has 150 grams of calves liver, and so it is such a tiny amount in comparison to the Pork Lion and the chicken livers ... Calves liver is quite subtle ...

Our electrical system was just rehauled along with our wooden flooring and the whole kitch was reformed ... So when we get the tv and dvd hooked up, we shall catch up on all our dvd watching including your Terrine ...

Thank you.

M.C.

Off for a walk to Port.
Have nice August.

Young Pig Liver 150 grams: the week of July 2nd, my older daughter and only grand daughter were visiting me for 2 wks. in Puglia, and I could not get calves liver that day, thus, he suggested young Pig Liver ... and so, that is why my Terrine is so pink and light in color.

I can only say it is ever so subtle and lovely ... with Dijon green peppercorn mustard from Maille.

Thank you and I highly recommend this as a substitute For the Calf Liver.

M.C.

Last edited:
i needed some space in the freezer for some lamb that i'm saving to make into stew for my parents, so i defrosted a package of 3 nice calves' (or is it calf's) liver steaks, about 3/8th of an inch thick each.

besides the usual pan fried with onions and bacon, what can i make with them?

i can google recipes well enough, so i'm looking for tnt recipes that i can ask questions about if needed.

tia. :chef:

One of the best things I ever ate, was my Grandmother's liver knishes - mashed potatoes encased with cooked (ground) liver and onions, & fried in chicken fat. (First you start with a chicken for the schmaltz lol.) She never used a recipe, & my memory is dim. As I recall, she added some flour to cooked cooled mashed potatoes, ground cooked liver in a meat grinder - fuzzy on this), made an indentation in the mashed taters & filled w/ liver/onions, & fried in a skillet. It looked pretty simple. Maybe someone here has a tnt, or you could wing it from some liver knishes recipes on the web - as it's not a "measured" recipe.

Them Poems, written by Mason Williams

Them Hog Liver likers
How about them hog liver likers, ain't they funny guys?
Eatin' hog liver soup, eatin hog liver pies.
Eatin' them cooked, eatin them raw
Eatin' them hog livers suits they craw.
Look at them hog liver likers, ain't they a disgrace?
Hog liver juice, all over they face.
Them pig lickin, high falutin', big hunk o' French-fried hog liver likers, aint they a sight?
Servin' up a hog liver, gonna get liked.
How to be a hog liver liker, Don't try to Psych-it,
Eat yourself a hog liver and see if you like it.

For more, see the following site: Them Poems

BT, your young'en will get a kick out fo these, especially the moose goosers poem. I know my youngen's did back in the day.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

I kinda like this one from there.

Them Banjo Pickers
Them Banjo Pickers, mighty funny ways,
Same damn song, three or four days
Them Banjo Pickers, all they know,
Cumberland Gap, and Do-Si-Do,
Them Banjo Pickers, talkin' 'bout strings,
Banjo pegs, other such things!
Them Banjo Pickers, poker-faced mugs,
Never do smile, just play scruggs!
Them Banjo Pickers sure are nice,
Play each song, At least twice,
Them Banjo Pickers never git sick
Pickin' them banjo's Pick, pick, pick!

thanks for all of the liver ideas everyone! :chef:

cerise, the liver knishes sound really good! that might just do the trick to get my family to eat liver. thanks.

and thank you, chief. i will read them to my boy tonight.

that just reminded me of many of the rhymes that i'd read him from "thomas the tank engine railway rhymes" when he was really small.

This is adapted from my Swedish wife's recipe. I is much simpler than her recipe, but it's still great. I left in the Swedish for your enjoyment.

150 gram kycklinglever chicken livers
2 äggulor egg yolks
2 schalottenlökar, finhackade finely chopped shallots
1 vitlöksklyfta, finhackad 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
4 TBS smör butter
.25 cup Brandy
.5 cup vispgrädde whipping cream
.5 tsp salt

Combine with food processor and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

PianoAl said:
This is adapted from my Swedish wife's recipe. I is much simpler than her recipe, but it's still great. I left in the Swedish for your enjoyment.

2 äggulor egg yolks
4 TBS smör butter
.25 cup Brandy
.5 tsp salt

I love the Swedish/English language combo! Interesting that brandy is the same in both languages.

Thanks!

2 äggulor egg yolks
4 TBS smör butter
.25 cup Brandy
.5 tsp salt

Pretty convincing that it's a Swedish recipe, including the Swedish. I bet that is supposed to be in a water bath in the oven. ;)

Back
Top Bottom