Need recipe for Omelet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhoj

Assistant Cook
I would like to know what I am doing wrong in making a Omelet. How hot should you have your burner?
How do you make your omelets?
I like to put peppers, onions, carrots, cheese and sometimes tomatoes in them.

My wife likes these and she can eat them ok.

I am not sure if I have the heat right, I make them on medium heat.

Any good recipes on Omelets?

There are different kinds of omelets. Do you make yours with the beaten eggs in a thin layer in the pan then add ingredients such as cheese, veggies or meats, and fold the egg over?

If so, use a fairly low heat. You don't want the eggs to brown. When the eggs are mostly set, add the filling, heat briefly then fold the omelet into the pan.

Like Andy says, the key to a nice, fluffy, tender omelet is gentle heat. And you'll want to use your Teflon non stick skillet.

When I made them for my mother who had trouble chewing in her later years, I put the chopped veggies in the skillet in a little butter and cooked them a bit, then added the beaten eggs. As the eggs cook, use your rubber spatula and gently push the cooked part to the middle and swirl the pan so the non cooked eggs move around.

When the eggs are nearly cooked but still loose and shiny, add your cheese to half of the mixture, fold it in half, and plate it. The residual heat will cook the omelet the rest of the way.

I would like to know what I am doing wrong in making a Omelet. How hot should you have your burner?
How do you make your omelets?
I like to put peppers, onions, carrots, cheese and sometimes tomatoes in them.

My wife likes these and she can eat them ok.

I am not sure if I have the heat right, I make them on medium heat.

Any good recipes on Omelets?
I once read an account of how a chef was taught t make an omelette (the French type), The omelette was cooked on a back burner with the burner in front on full (on a gas hob) the omelette had to be cooked before the front burner had chance to burn the chef's wrist - :ermm: ouch!

I seem to remember that your wife is not well (can't remember what her illness is). It is unwise to serve softly cooked eggs (eg French omelettes, scrambled eggs or soft boiled eggs) to anyone whose immune system is in any way compromised by age or illness, due to the possibility of the eggs being contaminated with food poisoning organisms.

Last edited:
I chop the peppers, onions, carrots, cheese and sometimes tomatoes in a food prosecutor and than I will ether put 2 or 3 beaten eggs in a bowl with the ingredients with salt and pepper to taste and pour it into my cast iron skillet which is a 12 inch skillet.

For one thing I know I keep moving it around once the bottom is set. I try to flip it without any luck. But it comes every tasty.

Cast iron is not best pan for an omelette. Especially 12 inch one. It is a monstrosity. Carrots in omelette are also not the best ingredient. The will take too long to cook. Then your veggies, you chop them in what? Just chop them by hand. Preheat pan to medium high. Put a tea spoon of oil or butter. Drop your veggie , let them cook. Have your eggs ready and add as soon as veggies are to your liking. Let it seat for a minute, add cheese, depending on time if cheese and how cold or warm it is you need to add it either latter or earlier. Then push edges of egg in, all around. Let uncooked egg drain and let it set. Use spatula to fold one third over. Pick up the pan from the fire and Then slowly let it slide onto the plate folding the inlet on itself, creating twofold. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

You chop them in what? Food prosecutor
I will try this and look forward in seeing the out come.

I chop the peppers, onions, carrots, cheese and sometimes tomatoes in a food prosecutor and than I will ether put 2 or 3 beaten eggs in a bowl with the ingredients with salt and pepper to taste and pour it into my cast iron skillet which is a 12 inch skillet.

For one thing I know I keep moving it around once the bottom is set. I try to flip it without any luck. But it comes every tasty.

It's tasty! But what don't you like about it?

What is it that you don't like about your omelets?

I would use a Teflon non stick. It would be a lot easier to flip than in a cast iron skillet. :ohmy: But as long as it turns out tasty, that's the main thing. :yum: Best wishes to you and your love.

Last edited:
Once I saw the technique used by both Jacques Pepin and Alton Brown, I stopped trying to flip omelets. They use a method that allows the omelet to be "rolled" out of the pan.

Cast iron is not best pan for an omelette. Especially 12 inch one. It is a monstrosity. Carrots in omelette are also not the best ingredient. The will take too long to cook. Then your veggies, you chop them in what? Just chop them by hand. Preheat pan to medium high. Put a tea spoon of oil or butter. Drop your veggie , let them cook. Have your eggs ready and add as soon as veggies are to your liking. Let it seat for a minute, add cheese, depending on time if cheese and how cold or warm it is you need to add it either latter or earlier. Then push edges of egg in, all around. Let uncooked egg drain and let it set. Use spatula to fold one third over. Pick up the pan from the fire and Then slowly let it slide onto the plate folding the inlet on itself, creating twofold. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
I thought that too. The surface of cat iron is rarely smooth enough unless it's enamelled. I make mine in an 8" aluminium omelette pan. It rarely sticks. On the other hand I have a le Creuset non-stick omelette pan and omelettes stick to it like glue

In the basic essentials cooking class I took we learned in the first session to make the omelet by the second method in Pepin's video above. Rather than a fork we used a wooden spatula, and here at home I use a silicon spatula/spoon, but the process is the same. Shake the pan while stirring the egg - sort of like patting your head while rubbing your tummy, but it makes a great omelet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom