Need suggestions for making shrimp pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a TNT one:

Grilled Shrimp and Cilantro Pesto Pizza
1 (.25 ounce) pkg active dry yeast [2 1/4 t]
3/4 c warm (105 to 115 degrees F) water
1 3/4 to 2 c unbleached AP flour + additional for kneading and dredging
1 1/2 t salt
3 t olive oil, divided + more for brushing dough
2 c grated Monterey Jack
Cilanto Pesto, see below
Grilled shrimp, see below
Cilantro leaves for garnish

In a small bowl whisk together the yeast and 1/4 c of the warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes to proof (i.e. get bubbly). Place 1 3/4 c of flour in a large bowl with the salt. Add the yeast mixture, the remaining water and 2 t of olive oil and stir until combined. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth. Grease a large bowl with the remaining 1 t oil, add the dough and turn to coat. Cover and put in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 to 1.5 hours.

Preheat the grill to medium-high. Once the dough has risen, divide it in half and set aside one of the halves for another use. Divide the remaining half into 4 balls. Roll each ball into an 8-inch circle. Brush each circle with olive oil on both sides until golden brown. Add 1/2 c grated cheese to each pizza and grill until the cheese is just melted. Remove from the grill and spread a few tablespoons of the cilantro pesto over each pizza. Top each pizza with 4 shrimp and sprinkle with cilanto leaves.

Cilantro Pesto
3/4 c fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 c parsley leaves
2 cloves garlic, coursely chopped
2 T pine nuts
1/4 grated fresh Parmesan
1/2 c evoo
salt & freshly ground black pepper

Put all ingredients into the work bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Season with S&P to taste.

Grilled Shrimp
16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
evoo
salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat the grill to high. In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with enough evoo to lightly coat and season with S&P. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Remove from grill and keep warm until ready to use.

I didn't use the grill for this ... I just put the pizzas under the broiler instead and flipped them over to brown the other side when the first was done. They turned out terrific. I quickly cooked the shrimp on the stove-top as well.

:heart:
Z

Shrimp, sundried tomato, artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, pesto instead of tomato sauce & goat cheese or feta.

Shrimp, broccoli, onions, alfredo sauce & moz or Mexican manchego.

Shrimp, onions, cilantro, white cabbage, black bean puree as the sauce & Mexican Manchego with a side of jalapenos.

Shrimp, bacon, tomato, spinach, tomato sauce & moz.

Shrimp & arugula tossed in a vinaigrette with some grated parm set atop a cheese (moz & fontina) pizza ...my favorite!

Grilling the shrimp & throwing them on the pizza at the end is my favorite because I love the flavor of grilled shrimp. But you can always saute it.

James McNair has a wonderful shrimp pizza!!!

* Exported from MasterCook *
KUNG PAO SHRIMP PIZZA

Basic Pizza Dough
2 lbs medium-sized shrimp
2 tbsps cornstarch
1/2 c rice wine vinegar
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c granulated sugar
1/4 c peanut oil
1 lg green sweet pepper, seeded, deveined, &
cut into small chunks
2 med carrots, quartered lengthwise & thinly
sliced
1/2 c Thinly sliced canned miniature corn on the
cob (opt)
6 ea green onions, thinly sliced
3 tbsps chopped fresh ginger root
2 tbsps minced or pressed garlic
7-10 small dried red chili peppers
3/4 c roasted peanuts
~1/2 cup Asian-style hot sesame or hot
chili oil
Cornmeal, if using a pizza peel
Miniature corn on the cob for garnish
Whole fresh cilantro leaves for garnish

Prepare the dough & preheat the oven.

Peel, devein, rinse, & dry the shrimp. Reserve.
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, vinegar, soy sauce & sugar. Reserve.

Heat 2 T. of the peanut oil in wok or deep-sided skillet over high heat till hot.
Add the shrimp & stir-fry till they turn bright pink, ~2 min. Remove shrimp to a bowl.

Heat the remaining 2 T. peanut oil in the wok, add the gr. pepper, carrots, corn, gr. onions, ginger, garlic, chili peppers, & peanuts.
Stir-fry till the veggies are coated w/the oil, ~1 min.

Add the reserved cornstarch mix. & bring to a boil. Add the reserved shrimp & stir till they are well coated w/the sauce.

Remove from heat, season to taste w/hot sesame or chili oil, & reserve.
Shape the pizza dough, brush dough all over w/hot oil & prick all over w/a fork.

Transfer the pie to the preheated baking surface & bake ~5 min.
Remove from the oven & top w/reserved shrimp mixture, leaving a 1/2" border around the edges.
Return to the oven & cook till the crust is golden brown & puffy, ~5 min.
Remove from the oven to a cutting tray or board & lightly brush the crust w/hot oil.
Garnish w/miniature corn & cilantro.

Serving Ideas : This cheeseless pizza can have a layer of cheese if you wish. The amount of hot oil you brush on the dough probably seems like a lot, but it takes that much to flavor the crust.
The topping is delicious over pasta.
NOTES : Served 4-6 as a main course, 8-10 as a starter

Use prefab Jamaican jerk sauce for the sauce
Smoked Gouda, and cheddar for the cheese
Cooked Bacon
onion
red and yellow peppers
Cilantro
...and of course, shrimp.

Shrimp on pizza is yet another reason why I always try to have a bag of cooked, shelled, frozen shrimp in the freezer. In a pinch we'll often just buy a large cheese pizza & then customize/top it at home with fresh sauteed mushrooms, the frozen shrimp (thawed for a minute or 2 under cold running water), turkey pepperoni &/or what have you.

I like shrimp with chopped, roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, crushed red pepper and fresh basil slices on the crust.

Mostly we have an everything pizza, sausage (homemade) and pepperoni, every pizza veggie known to man and a combination of cheeses. Then I really like adding shrimp with chunks of pineapple, extra tomato sauce with chunks of tomato and there is something about the pepperoni that makes the flavor with the shrimp perfect in the next bite. Each bite is different.
More recently we tried our pepperoni pizza with shrimp, no pineapple and topped it with alfredo sauce and extra oregano and basil. It was fabulous. Veggies can be carmelized onions, raw onions, green/red/yellow pepper raw or charred, green, black and kalamata olives, pepperocini, mushrooms, tomatoes. We're weird. ~Bliss

I've never had shrimp on a pizza, but I think I'd like to combine it with Canadian bacon, a little crab meat, artichoke hearts and sliced black olives.

We have the California Pizza Kitchen that makes every combo imaginable.

shrimp_scampi.gif

Shrimp, mild onions, roasted garlic, Mozzarella cheese, fresh oregano and Italian parsley with a white wine lemon-garlic butter sauce.

You could use shrimp in place of chicken.

thai_chicken.gif

This is the original! Pieces of chicken breast marinated in a spicy peanut-ginger and sesame sauce, Mozzarella cheese, green onions, bean sprouts, julienne carrots, cilantro and roasted peanuts.

Here's a look-see.
California Pizza Kitchen | Menu | Pizzas

IMHO, this thread should be moved to either "Don't Make This Recipe" or Weird Food Combinations."

Why, you may ask? Because pizza has to have cheese or it ain't pizza, and I can not think of one single cheese that would not overwhelm the delicate taste of shrimp.

My advice? Have shrimp cocktail as an appitizer while you're waiting for the pizza to bake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom