Never Have I Ever...Made This.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
With the new year being here, I sometimes think of things that I've wanted to do and didn't in the past year. Some of these things are foods that I want to try or dishes that I want to make.

Something I have always wanted to prepare, make, or use in a recipe is geoduck. I love have yet to encounter seafood that I have not liked in "something" even if the particular dish isn't for me.

Geoduck looks odd and does seem a bit intimidating to me. Plus, it is found on the "other" coast (Pacific.) Still....I want to try making it. If given the opportunity, I want to try it prepared simply like as sashimi. I would also like to use whatever is left over in a dish like the Sesame noodle dish that Kayelle got me hook on! I think it would be good if all reports are true!

What is something you have found intriguing that you would like to try to make if given the opportunity?

First thing that comes to mind is ... Stuffed Squid
It is available to me but have yet to find a recipe or video that gives me the confidence to try it. Too intimidated by the thought of wasted of good money if it ends up overcooked and rubbery on a delicate dish.

Speaking of squid... there once was a little italian restaurant up here that did a calamari steak in a white wine, lemon butter sauce with garlic and shallots. It was strikingly similar to one of my all time (and greatly missed) favs... Abalone!

I would love to make this but have not found a source for the steaks. )c:

As for first time proteins without a trusted recipe, like the first time I caught and cooked abalone, I tried first with just one slice in a mini-recipe. It turned out overcooked, but I had it just right the second time.

Last edited:
I watched Jacques Pepin prepare a cassoulet on TV once. It looked super delicious with duck and sausage and beans, etc. I have his recipe. It's a long preparation with many ingredients. Maybe one day...

I am intrigued by Paul Prudhomme's Turducken. It's another dish I've wanted to make for a long time. I have the recipe and a step-by-step photo tutorial. I'm deterred by the fact that no one but me is interested in eating it. That would be a lot of food and effort for a photo shoot. Maybe one day...

I have been wanting to make rugbrød. That's a heavy, Danish, 100% rye bread. But, I have been deterred by the amount of kneading with a very heavy dough. I recently watched a Bake with Jack video where he says that rye flour doesn't need kneading. It doesn't have any gluten to speak of, so it won't develop structure by kneading. Leave the dough in the fridge to properly hydrate and develop any gluten there is. I'm eager to give this a try. I have organic rye flour on my shopping list. The store I usually order groceries from carries it.

I've often looked at danish and other breads but I've never seen one with 100% rye. They say although rye flour does have gluten in it not enough to bind bread, so there is always a small amount of regular flour in there.

taxy here is where a dough hook on a hefty mixer would come in handy and even that danish dough hook! LOL now you have a good excuse to get one!

Pâte a choux - I want to make ALL the cream puffs and fill them with ALL the delicious fillings like créme pâtisserie, lemon curd and chocolate mousse [emoji39]

And sausage! DH gave me a sausage grinder/stuffer for Christmas a couple of years ago. I've made it a few times, but I would really like to make more.

I received a Mayan cookbook for Christmas, so I intend to get to know that cuisine.

Happy Culinary New Year! [emoji1635]

I watched Jacques Pepin prepare a cassoulet on TV once. It looked super delicious with duck and sausage and beans, etc. I have his recipe. It's a long preparation with many ingredients. Maybe one day...

I am intrigued by Paul Prudhomme's Turducken. It's another dish I've wanted to make for a long time. I have the recipe and a step-by-step photo tutorial. I'm deterred by the fact that no one but me is interested in eating it. That would be a lot of food and effort for a photo shoot. Maybe one day...

Chef John has a recipe for that, too. I would like to make it next year when hopefully we can invite some neighbors to share it with us.

Duck confit and sausage and beans? Who isn't enticed by that? ;)

Lobstah! With drawn buttah! I've never cooked it. And geoduck fascinates me too, I've never had it.

Would love to try my hand at making puff pastry from scratch.. Don't have either the refrigerator space, or the counter top space to fold and roll it. It has always intrigued me though.

My most time consuming dish to make was Peking Duck, with all of the fixins.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've often looked at danish and other breads but I've never seen one with 100% rye. They say although rye flour does have gluten in it not enough to bind bread, so there is always a small amount of regular flour in there.

taxy here is where a dough hook on a hefty mixer would come in handy and even that danish dough hook! LOL now you have a good excuse to get one!

I was thinking the Danes might have invented that dough hook for their rye bread. But, really, the stuff at the Danish grocery stores and bakeries is 100% rye flour. Often there are whole grains of rye in it. More modern, sometimes there are sunflower and / or pumpkin seeds in it. Some of the recipes for making it at home include a bit of wheat flour. Check out this video. "Bake with Jack" is giving tips for bread making during the pandemic, when the usual flours might be in short supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwdVQKpGgp4

I have been wanting to make rugbrød. That's a heavy, Danish, 100% rye bread. But, I have been deterred by the amount of kneading with a very heavy dough. I recently watched a Bake with Jack video where he says that rye flour doesn't need kneading. It doesn't have any gluten to speak of, so it won't develop structure by kneading. Leave the dough in the fridge to properly hydrate and develop any gluten there is. I'm eager to give this a try. I have organic rye flour on my shopping list. The store I usually order groceries from carries it.

100% rye bread isn't difficult to make, but it will be dense and heavy, but then, it looks like you expect that. And, while they used to tell us that rye breads required much more kneading, I remember Peter Reinhart, in one of his books, began recommending a relatively short knead - 5 or 6 minutes - when making rye, and said that when it was kneaded much longer it gets very sticky, due to the pentosan gums in rye flour. I have made a few 100% ryes, which rose very little; one I remember had rye in 4 forms - whole rye flour, rye meal, cracked rye, and whole rye berries! Those Germans love their rye! Most bread that I make is rye, but with some wheat, to get the rise.

Not often, but I've made Julia's cassoulet 3 or 4 times. It is a lot of work. Confiting the duck and cooking all the meats before you can begin the cassoulet makes it very time consuming. And, it is also very very rich. A small portion is more then plenty. I would imagine that Jacques Pepin's would be similar.

I want to learn to make tamales. When I lived I Tucson we always could get great tamales, but in Florida I never find them. I understand that they are very time consuming. If Nyone has a great recipe, I'd love to hear it.

Not often, but I've made Julia's cassoulet 3 or 4 times. It is a lot of work. Confiting the duck and cooking all the meats before you can begin the cassoulet makes it very time consuming. And, it is also very very rich. A small portion is more then plenty. I would imagine that Jacques Pepin's would be similar.

I want to learn to make tamales. When I lived I Tucson we always could get great tamales, but in Florida I never find them. I understand that they are very time consuming. If Nyone has a great recipe, I'd love to hear it.

I really like ATK's video on making tamales, though I use pork rather than chicken. Hrere's the link - https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+America%27s+Test+Kitchen+making+tamaoles&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS893US893&oq=youtube+America%27s+Test+Kitchen+making+tamaoles&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.55894j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_Q4TyX9DOB9u1tAbrpZZ411

Tip: If you can't find corn husks, you can save and dry them from freshcorn. You can also make them in parchment paper many times. There is no difference in flavor, or texture. Enjoy making them. Shredded beef seasoned with cumin, chillies, and cumin, along with S&P, and sauce is also very good.

With just a bit of searching on Google, you will find variations on the filling as each SA country has its own signature variation. I even had a lady who I used to visit with another church member, who was of Spanish origin. To encourage us to come and help her with chores she could no longer do, she always prepared some little snack for us. Hers were the first desert tamales I'd ever eaten, filled with raisins, currants, cinnamon, brown sugar, and chopped walnuts, wrapped in tamale dough, and sprinkled with powdered sugar. As long as the dough is right, you can fill them with whatever suits your fancy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've been using this recipe for years. A restaurant near me adds fresh corn kernels to the masa. I love the pop of flavor they add, so I do that, too. This recipe also includes a couple of ideas for fillings.

The most time-consuming part is rolling and tying the tamales. You can prep them one day and steam them the next, or freeze them for later.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/tamales-2459357

Speaking of squid... there once was a little italian restaurant up here that did a calamari steak in a white wine, lemon butter sauce with garlic and shallots. It was strikingly similar to one of my all time (and greatly missed) favs... Abalone!

I would love to make this but have not found a source for the steaks. )c:

As for first time proteins without a trusted recipe, like the first time I caught and cooked abalone, I tried first with just one slice in a mini-recipe. It turned out overcooked, but I had it just right the second time.
You can get cleaned squid (at a seafood store or food market seafood dept.) that hasn't been cut into rings. Just cut the bodies longways into steaks. My family would buy cleaned or whole (clean themselves) and cook in tomato sauce.

Last edited:
You can get cleaned squid (at a seafood store or food market seafood dept.) that hasn't been cut into rings. Just cut the bodies longways into steaks. My family would buy cleaned or whole (clean themselves) and cook in tomato sauce.

Unfortunately, one of the compromises of living in a small mountain town is that neither of those are available to me. If it ain't available in flash frozen bags from the supermarket, seafood (my favorite) is not an option. I've simply had to adjust since moving up here from So. Cal.

Luckily, there are a number of good frozen seafoods I can get, but crab, lobster, and calamari steaks are not among them.

Last edited:
22 years ago when SO and I were first dating, she took me to visit her aunt and uncle. He was Italian and loved to cook. He had been keeping a spiral bond notebook of recipes. He had been ill and had not been cooking for a while. They said they missed his stuffed squid in tomato sauce. I offered to make it for them. He loaned me his notebook and off I went. I had never worked with squid before but had watched the cleaning process on TV. after carefully cleaning and stuffing them with Uncle Joe's shrimp stuffing, I cooked them in his tomato sauce and delivered it to them. They loved the squid and I haven't made it since.

After that, I discovered you could buy cleaned squid.

Never Have I Ever ... Made This

IMG_0162.jpg

Chili-Cheese Tots! (nor have we had them before either ;))

I have no idea where that came from ... but I was taking stock of my "deep freeze" out in the finished garage, and I found one last serving of my homemade Paniolo Chili and a half bag of TJ's Potato Tots.
With the craziness of the World, I have been hard pressed to come up with innovative dishes, two or three times EACH DAY!

:idea:

I had just purchased some Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
:chef:

MEH...
Not bad, but I don't know if I would go to that length for lunch again.
DH said, "I would have rather had this our regular way, with a scoop of Rice".
:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom