New To Pretzel Making

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RittenRV

Assistant Cook
I am looking to learn how to make pretzels. My wife has made pretzels before but now I want to make pretzels myself.

I have read the recipes. Watched hours of youtube video on making everything from Bavarian Pretzels to Pretzel bits.

I am looking to discuss hints or anything to do with Prezetel making.

Any comment on the Lye and Backing Soda issue. Then I saw heating the baking soda in an oven before dipping the pretzel. Any comment on that.

Any particular trick on kneading the dough or preparing that.

I am looking forward to any comment on pretzel making.

Russell V. Rittenhouse

I believe I used this one when I did mine. Salt and buttered they were awesome!
Not sure what the baking soda issue is but it’s a must imo.

https://youtu.be/BAT3R7dXQZ8

Mine
IMG_3561.jpg

Last edited:
An acquaintance of mine was a gluten-free baker. She was well known for her pretzels. She baked them on a double half pan--she put one upside down and put the other one on top--right side up. She sprayed the pretzels with a soda water baking soda "spritz" she also used pretzel salt--something we could buy at the local Bulk Barn and a shop that specialized in baking supplies. She turned the pretzels over 1/2 through the bake, spritzed, salted, and also rotated the pan. That's the best I can remember re: her technique. I haven't made pretzels for eons. I would be tempted to make a yukone if I were to make them today. Clueless on the lye. My acquaintance was a professionally trained pastry chef, so I am guessing she had a reason for doing what she did.

Last edited:
Not sure the purpose of preheating the baking soda.

Not sure which recipe I use ( I think its Alton Browns), but basically:
- Make the dough as instructed
- Shape the pretzels ( My kids at the time never were able to shape them correctly ( neither could I) so we made ' Snake Pretzels' .
- Boil in water/ baking soda mix ( I know I reduced the amount of baking soda, cause it was a little tooo intense for me. The baking soda gives it that pretzel taste and a darker color
- Place on baking sheet / salt
- Bake
- What I like to do after it comes out of the oven is brush al the pretzels with a slightly sweetened melted butter, to give it kinda that Auntie Ann's Mall pretzel hint to it.

Having lived in Philly for a bunch of years, I dip it in nothing other than Mustard.
Philly has the best pretzels.

Picture is of a Philly Pretzel

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 8.01.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 8.01.18 PM.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 61
pretzels are pretzels because of the alkali surface treatment - thin crispy crust + a "taste"

heating baking soda changes it chemically from bicarbonate of soda to carbonate of soda - which is "closer" to lye. takes about an hour at 300'F

My understanding of the Lye is that it goes into the boiling water and the pretzel
goes into that for a boil before being baked. This is what gives the nut brown color to the baked pretzel. It's a similar process to bagels.

For true pretzels you must use lye instead of sodium bicarbonate. There's a world of a difference. With sodium bicarbonate you basically have a breadstick. With lye you have a pretzel.

I know some of you are leery of using lye due to safety concerns but if you take proper precautions, it can be done safely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom