Newbie question about sugar...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rush

Senior Cook
How well does sugar dilute in water?

For example, I've always just gone the extra mile to make simple syrup for my lemonade (2 parts sugar, 1 part water). That way, the sugar is completely dissolved, and the lemonade mixture remains homogenous from top to bottom.

I know raw sugar takes a bit more to dissolve.

I was wondering if the sugar would just dissolve in the acid of the lemon juice, if I kept the mixture in the fridge overnight? Or would it just settle to the bottom, requiring a good stir everytime I pour it for a glass of lemonade?

Also, I was reading recipe for making paletas. It tells me to make simple syrup just about every time for the recipes. But since I'm gonna blend it with the fruits and water anyway, do I really need to make simple syrup? Wouldn't the vigorous vortex of water and fruits dissolve the sugar?

Thanks!

Good Morning, I make a simple stock syrup by heating sugar water and a squeeze of lemon in a pan.

How well does sugar dilute in water?

For example, I've always just gone the extra mile to make simple syrup for my lemonade (2 parts sugar, 1 part water). That way, the sugar is completely dissolved, and the lemonade mixture remains homogenous from top to bottom.

I know raw sugar takes a bit more to dissolve.

I was wondering if the sugar would just dissolve in the acid of the lemon juice, if I kept the mixture in the fridge overnight? Or would it just settle to the bottom, requiring a good stir everytime I pour it for a glass of lemonade?

Also, I was reading recipe for making paletas. It tells me to make simple syrup just about every time for the recipes. But since I'm gonna blend it with the fruits and water anyway, do I really need to make simple syrup? Wouldn't the vigorous vortex of water and fruits dissolve the sugar?

Thanks!
no you don't HAVE to make a syrup to sweeten a drink. but it does take a lot less time to dissolve the sugar. When you make simple syrup you use hot water, which dissolves the sugar very quickly and holds it there without crystallizing afterwards. and then when you want to make the drink, simply dilute the syrup with your juice and water, making it much faster. On the other hand, since your drink will use cold water, it'll take forever to dissolve sugar in cold water.

no you don't HAVE to make a syrup to sweeten a drink. but it does take a lot less time to dissolve the sugar. When you make simple syrup you use hot water, which dissolves the sugar very quickly and holds it there without crystallizing afterwards. and then when you want to make the drink, simply dilute the syrup with your juice and water, making it much faster. On the other hand, since your drink will use cold water, it'll take forever to dissolve sugar in cold water.

Thanks for the advice.

I tried making lemonade without simple syrup for once, yesterday.

I added about 10 oz of cane sugar to the pitcher, and then 12 oz of fresh lemon juice. I had to stir for about 5-10 minutes for the sugar to dissolve to my liking. I could still see sugar grains though, when I spooned the lemonade, but it was sparse and drinkable.

I threw the pitcher in the fridge, overnight. I'm pretty sure much of the sugar melted and dissolved by now. The acid from the lemon definitely helps break down the sugar. I'll give it a good stir later tonight, and I think I'll be good to go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom