Non-dairy melty foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In what way or on what do you want to incorporate this 'melty food'? It would help to figure out what you could possibly replace with.

Many gravies could be thick when cold and melt when warmed.

Marshmallows, manteca, duck fat, sugar (making caramel), etc.

So far I have not found a commercial non dairy cheese that melts or stretches. Most will also taste like coconut or something that does not taste like cheese.

But you can try making your own. https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/melty-stretchy-gooey-vegan-mozarella/

I agree. My wife, being vegan, we have been on a quest to find vegan cheese with good taste and textures. They are getting close with the taste ( on some of them), but the texture ( once melted) is not good. Some do melt, but they lack the stretchy chewy texture of melted cheese. Its more of a, for lack of better words, mucousy texture that Kinda coats your mouth.

With the progress they've made on burgers sausages and chopped meat ( Beyond and impossible burgers). Im hoping cheese is their next product to master.

The closest I've gotten to vegan cheese with OK texture when cooked, is a grilled cheese sandwich with the Field Roast brand "Chao Cheese" using the 'Creamy Original Chao Slices". If you place one piece each on 2 slices of white bread ( face up). Bake them for a few minutes just to soften the cheese ( but not completely melt), then put the two bread and cheese slices together ( cheese side against cheese side) and finish it up on a pan with Butter ( vegan) to brown and crisp up the bread on each side, the consistency and taste is not bad. Similar to the consistency as if you melted regular American cheese. Still not stringy, but not that snotty coating consistency either.

I was wondering how to make a vegan pizza. So no cheese, ideally little fats, something to make toppings stick.

Last edited:
Just use tomato sauce. Without cheese, it's already vegan. You'll need a little oil to sauté the onion and garlic but only a couple teaspoons (you can reduce the amount in this recipe). Gravity will make the toppings stick ;)
https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/15794_Five_Minute_Spicy_Marinara

Lots of people don't like plain sauce pizzas.

GG didn't imply no toppings, actually the opposite - gravity

I didn't realize you were asking about toppings too, thought the question was just about cheese - my bad. :ermm:

So -'crunch' - any kind of nuts - probably pine nuts flavour would go well.
Then go to unusual, slivered or thinly sliced water chestnuts, bamboo shoots
Drained artichoke hearts, hearts of palm - contrast to the red sauce.
Black or green olives. More contrast, salty tang.
Hawaiian - pineapple. Lots of other fruit out there.
more vegies, thinly sliced or even spiraled soft vegies such as green or yellow summer squash, nestled in the sauce, yum.
Old stand by - mushrooms! mix it up a bit! enoki, oyster, chanterelle - lots out there!

I'm not vegan but can think of a lot. If your choice is vegan you will have to learn to use your imagination in ways that I could not even imagine!
Go for it!!!:chef:

I just tried this Vegan Focaccia , and it was easy and a winner.
I didnt put olives on it or the smoked paprika. Also, there is no mention about lining the pan with parchment paper although the pictures show otherwise ( maybe they did mention it and it was an oversight). but I used it.

***Great way to use up extra grape or cherry tomatoes from the garden ***

https://biancazapatka.com/en/vegan-focaccia-bread/

Also, another vegan no cheese pizza I make. I used Trader joes cauliflower crust, top it with sautéed spinach , garlic , olive oil and a squirt of lemon, then top that with slices of the beyond meat sausage.

Just found a few others in my archives, Looks like pizza topped with spinach/ garlic/ oil, then sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts on top

Another one, that actually works well with the vegan Chao Cheese, cooked the pizza dough as directed. Poke holes in it with a knife so it doesn't bubble up too much, last minuted or two put a layer of the Chao slices. Let it melt little, but not so it burns. Take it out and cool to room temp. Make your favorite salad and top with that. Its a nice salad pizza, where the cheese works. not stretchy, but adds some flavor, texture, and keeps the bread from getting soggy from the salad dressing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 8.39.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 8.39.37 PM.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 8.43.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 8.43.50 PM.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 8.43.09 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 8.43.09 PM.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 66
I do want it to resemble standard pizza if possible. Just no dairy. Meat is fine. What keeps toppings from falling off? Even cheese slides off of a saucy pizza.

I do want it to resemble standard pizza if possible. Just no dairy. Meat is fine. What keeps toppings from falling off? Even cheese slides off of a saucy pizza.

Your fingers. Fold the triangularly cut piece in half from the round outer edge and point the pointy part to your mouth.

Gravity works in wonderful ways. Keeps the add-ons on the pizza when it is flat, and also aims the add-ons towards the floor. Best to aim to your mouth when you pick it up.

although doesn't resemble a pizza in looks, a Stromboli is the best of both worlds. Roll up whatever you want in it and provide sauce on the side for dipping.

If the no dairy is because of lactose intolerance, I want to make sure you realize that there are lactose-free dairy cheeses.

If the no dairy is because of lactose intolerance, I want to make sure you realize that there are lactose-free dairy cheeses.

Interesting. Not for lactose reasons but what is in this cheese? I have a friend who is lactose intolerant and allergic to lactate.

Interesting. Not for lactose reasons but what is in this cheese? I have a friend who is lactose intolerant and allergic to lactate.

As I understand it, some cheese is simply old enough that all the lactose has been broken down. Other cheeses are made with milk that has had lactase added to convert the lactose to glucose and galactose. If your friend is allergic to milk, as opposed to lactose intolerant, then this wouldn't work for them.

Back
Top Bottom