Not An Intended Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I was puttering around the kitchen doing some general clean up and came across a can of Crisco. I was checking the label to see what it said about refrigeration and came across this sentence.

Not intended for use as a spread.

Apparently the Crisco people felt the need to add that statement to their label.

Was this a problem of which I was not aware? Are teens secretly spreading Crisco on their toast for a 'fat high'?

Are you a closet Crisco spreader?

I don't even have any in my house. Hydrogenated oils are the devil. :chef:

But even if I did... ewww. Can you imagine the slimy feel of that in your mouth?? I don't think you could put it on anything that could even disguise it enough to make it edible as a spread.

Maybe since butter and shortening are interchangeable in a lot of recipes they thought they better clarify (pun intended) that it was only to be used after melted or cooked. Maybe somebody gagged on a spoonful... :ermm:

Many years ago, when I was working in construction, I had a co-worker who use to eat a Crisco sandwich everyday for lunch. I have never had the gumption nor the nerve to try that one yet.

Many years ago, when I was working in construction, I had a co-worker who use to eat a Crisco sandwich everyday for lunch. I have never had the gumption nor the nerve to try that one yet.

I've suddenly lost my appetite.. :dizzy:

Alert the Crisco Police! Violation!

my aunt, who was severely anemic and underweight, needed to gain some twenty-five pounds in order to gain a medical release allowing her to emigrate to america. my dad (her brother) shipped her a number of cans of crisco to help her put on the needed pounds. about six months later, we were able to reunite at ellis island with my dear, sweet, newly pudgy auntie!!:) (apparently, they did not heed the warning....)

I don't even have any in my house. Hydrogenated oils are the devil. :chef:

But even if I did... ewww. Can you imagine the slimy feel of that in your mouth??

Just like cheap grocery store bakery cake icings? You know the kind... an inch thick, no flavor and that tell-tale 'coat yer mouth like motor oil' feeling?

Recipe:

5 1/2 cups Hi Ratio shortening ( sweetex)
5 pounds sifted powdered sugar
Flavorings

sweetex.jpg

SWEETEX = Partially hydrogenated Soybean and Palm Oils with Mono- And Di-Glycerides added

YUM!

Last edited:
say what you will about crisco, but the homemade doughnuts and french fries that i deep fried in crisco many years ago, are still the standard i use for excellence when doing comparisons today....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom