Not fond of tomatoes-what's your common food dislike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kimchee - I once saw a cooking show and with al the rage , I figured, let me give it a go ( haven't ever tried it before). I followed the directions and tasted it, and it plain old just tasted like crap. I figured, maybe I did something wrong, so I went to my local Asian store and bought some so I could do a comparison of my end product an what it was supposed to taste like. Found out that they both tasted the same ( like crap). A few years later , I have a Korean co-worker who also makes her own and when I told her the story, she insisted that hers was the best and she would bring me in some to sample. She did, and you guessed it, tasted like crap to me.

Seaweed or anything with that hint of ocean smell or flavor ( not talking about smelly fish, but just that 'coming from the ocean' scent/ flavor. I just dont get it. It sickens me. Some people blame it on the fact that im vegetarian, but thats not the case. When I drive by a house and smell someones grill going, Sure I know its meat, but that smokey grilling scent is great. ocean, not so good :)

Raisins- I dont absolutely hate them, but will always pick them out should they be present in what im eating ( granola, certain rice dishes ...). I love just about all other dried fruit.

Fake Maple syrup - Makes me gag. I love real maple syrup. The fake stuff tastes so different to me, I dont even know how they got that flavor and think it resembles the real thing.

Canned asparagus - food for the devil. its mushy and plain old gross.

Alcoholic beverages - Not that I despise it, just any ones that I've had I know I would like it better without the alcohol element in it.

Okay, I have to 2nd both of these. Kimchee is just plain gross and I'm the same way with raisins. I don't know what my aversion to them is about, but I get so aggravated with things like trail mixes. Raisins! In just about all of them. Why do they all have to have raisins?! :wacko:

However, I will eat Raisin Bran, for some reason. As long as the raisins are sugar-coated, I don't mind them. But in anything else or plain on their own, nope.

Why do people still buy these things in cans, when they are available fresh, in most places?
I became a certified master food volunteer about five years ago, then I took a training class on how to help low-income women receiving WIC benefits (Women, Infants and Children) shop for healthy food and make simple meals.

A lot of poor people don't have good storage facilities for a week's worth of food, or their schedules are unpredictable and fresh food can go bad before they're able to use it. Canned and frozen foods are often less expensive and definitely last longer than fresh produce.

Goat
Star fruit
Beans, especially lima, but can tolerate black and garbanzo
Rutabaga, kale, collards, water chestnuts
Cilantro tastes like soap
Rosemary tastes like pine trees
Squish/squash, except zucchini and skinless eggplant
Brazil nuts
Hot peppers, except jalapenos when portion is small
Dried currents they put in fruit cakes
Dried citrus peels and orange marmalade
Canned spinach and corn, but love fresh or frozen
Anchovies
Cooked cabbage, except for sauerkraut and red cabbage I love
White chocolate
Popcorn with fake butter on it. Plain for me, please
Tofu that's firm to very firm
Star anise, cloves and allspice give me a headache

SO and I are among those that taste soap when eating raw cilantro.

Ivory or Irish Spring? :ROFLMAO:

Next yer gonna tell me soap tastes bad.

I like cilantro but I understand that not all food is for everyone. Is this where I mutter about how awful I find brussel sprouts?

Some of this dislike may come down to simple preference, but for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves. This genetic quirk is usually only found in a small percent of the population, though it varies geographically. Interestingly, places where cilantro is especially popular, such as Central America and India, have fewer people with these genes, which might explain how the herb was able to become such a mainstay in those regions. East Asians have the highest incidence of this variation, with some studies showing that nearly 20% of the population experiences soapy-tasting cilantro.

When I was cooking and making videos at Amoretti, some people would complain that the cilantro tasted like soap. For them I would substitute epazote. It looks a lot like cilantro, but it never tastes like soap to anyone. It tastes like kerosine!

Some of this dislike may come down to simple preference, but for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves. This genetic quirk is usually only found in a small percent of the population, though it varies geographically. Interestingly, places where cilantro is especially popular, such as Central America and India, have fewer people with these genes, which might explain how the herb was able to become such a mainstay in those regions. East Asians have the highest incidence of this variation, with some studies showing that nearly 20% of the population experiences soapy-tasting cilantro.

When I was cooking and making videos at Amoretti, some people would complain that the cilantro tasted like soap. For them I would substitute epazote. It looks a lot like cilantro, but it never tastes like soap to anyone. It tastes like kerosine!

I've read the same thing about genetics and cilantro tasting like soap. Luckily I don't have that "genetic quirk" because I love cilantro. The more the better. Super cilantro'y salsa, especially. But anyone I've ever known that doesn't like cilantro says the same exact thing - "It tastes like soap."

I find this both odd and fascinating at the same time.

This genetic thing with cilantro reminded me of something I can't stand, which I think might be a genetic thing, because a (very) few others I've found out there get the same taste - it's beets, that, simply put, taste like dirt to me! I even tried growing them, and several varieties, at that, and all were the same, though the redder, the more dirt I taste! Yet, no other root crop has this flavor, and none of Swiss chard - same species, different subspecies - tastes like this to me. As nutritious as they are, and easy to grow, I wish that I could like them!

This genetic thing with cilantro reminded me of something I can't stand, which I think might be a genetic thing, because a (very) few others I've found out there get the same taste - it's beets, that, simply put, taste like dirt to me! I even tried growing them, and several varieties, at that, and all were the same, though the redder, the more dirt I taste! Yet, no other root crop has this flavor, and none of Swiss chard - same species, different subspecies - tastes like this to me. As nutritious as they are, and easy to grow, I wish that I could like them!

I love beets. But here's the thing... I too sometimes taste dirt when I eat them. I'm not sure why. But my favorite beets are Golden Beets, which I like to buy fresh and cook myself. They are so amazing and so delicious. Problem is I can't always find them. But when I see them, I snatch them up. And once they're cooked, I don't add seasoning at all to them. I simply slice them and eat them as-is.

Linda, The white (Avalanche, I think?), gold, and bicolor varieties I grew were better, but still tasted like dirt, even diluted considerably in a soup, or something like that.

Linda, The white (Avalanche, I think?), gold, and bicolor varieties I grew were better, but still tasted like dirt, even diluted considerably in a soup, or something like that.

I actually like canned beets as well and the brand that I really like that have never tasted like dirt is Del Monte.

Wish I could grow my own beets, but I just don't have the space. The only things I have growing is scallions and garlic. I used to grow tomatoes, but I just don't have the energy anymore for the upkeep.

I feel bad for all you picky eaters. I like just about anything.

Except soups. Ick. Onion dip for French Dip is good, soup made like a stew is good, but wet drippy or creamy soups are nasty.

Oh, I also don't like many breakfast foods. Eggs, sausage in small servings, but not a choice I'd make.

Much prefer a nice jalapeno burger for breakfast, or a ham breakfast burrito. What's with sausage everywhere. Fatty and greasy, most have no actual taste.

Well I guess I am picky, but only about things that taste bad, or feel slimey.

Can't stand popcorn either. Smell is too sickly, though I do like plain with salt. It's the butter slapped all over that is gross.

Last edited:
I feel bad for all you picky eaters. I like just about anything.

Except soups. Ick. Onion dip for French Dip is good, soup made like a stew is good, but wet drippy or creamy soups are nasty.

Oh, I also don't like many breakfast foods. Eggs, sausage in small servings, but not a choice I'd make.

Much prefer a nice jalapeno burger for breakfast, or a ham breakfast burrito. What's with sausage everywhere. Fatty and greasy, most have no actual taste.

Well I guess I am picky, but only about things that taste bad, or feel slimey.

Can't stand popcorn either. Smell is too sickly, though I do like plain with salt. It's the butter slapped all over that is gross.

You should edit your post to delete the first line. :LOL::LOL:

Turnips no. Rutabagas and parsnips are are fine.

Kale does not seem to pluralize, so how does it reproduce. I hope to never know.

Turnips no. Rutabagas and parsnips are are fine.

Kale does not seem to pluralize, so how does it reproduce. I hope to never know.

I do like turnips and parsnips, as long as they're baked and super soft, like baked in with a roast. That's the only way I'll eat them.

As far as I'm concerned, kale can stop reproducing anytime :LOL:

It does. I tried, numerous times, to enjoy falafel but, it just never worked out for me. Hummus is a definite no.

Ross

I'm with you on chick peas and stuff made with them, like falafel and hummus. But, what I hate most is carrots.

CD

Kale is good as a cooked green. I grow a bunch of it, not a huge fan of a fresh kale salad. Especially the common thin stiff leafy types.

The giant kales are better.

Back
Top Bottom