Not tonight Josephine!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frozen pizza!
Pasta topped with anything at hand
The freezer is often stocked with stuff I can nuke (soups and sauces made months ago)

I was going to ask what people do when/if they get cooking burn out. This does it. I can usually get the enthusiasm level going for the nice dinners where you get kudos from friends and family. But the day-to-day meals are starting to get old.

Frozen pizza!
Pasta topped with anything at hand
The freezer is often stocked with stuff I can nuke (soups and sauces made months ago)

I was going to ask what people do when/if they get cooking burn out. This does it. I can usually get the enthusiasm level going for the nice dinners where you get kudos from friends and family. But the day-to-day meals are starting to get old.
Frozen pizza is great, when you can find a good one.

Cooking burnout, oh yeah. But, I can always get enthusiasm for the meal for a guest(s). ;)

The absolute worst food emergency is a cup of ramen noodle soup here. The closest shop is at least 4 miles and no wine there anyways.

;)I could bore for England about gravy. I have step by step photos on how to make gravy (the traditional kind you have on a roast).

If you have trouble sleeping one day give me a nudge and I'll post them.

Frozen pizza is great, when you can find a good one.

Cooking burnout, oh yeah. But, I can always get enthusiasm for the meal for a guest(s). ;)
20 minute frozen pizza:i like my pizza thin & crispy so i always have a pack of flat breads,chopped tomatoes,chopped onions & grated parmigiano reggiano in the freezer & a bottle of olive oil that i infuse with garlic & basil on the counter & a jar of black olives in the cupboard.i also have a counter top oven for everyday cooking that gets to 500f in about 10 mins.in from work after another 10 hours savage entertainment at the hands of an uncaring public,oven on,suit off,flat bread out,brush with the infused olive oil,onion, tomatoes & olives on,sprinkle with parmesan,in the oven for 10 mins(no need to defrost anything).....pizza from scratch in 20 mins:yum:!
harry

;)I could bore for England about gravy. I have step by step photos on how to make gravy (the traditional kind you have on a roast).

If you have trouble sleeping one day give me a nudge and I'll post them.
if i have trouble sleeping one day i'll send a taxi to get you,you're only 30 mins away;)!
harry

I sometimes use eggs for a hurry up supper, but DH is noticeably getting older and his digestion is getting more delicate. He often has eggs for breakfast and his stomach rebels at more than three eggs in a day.

I find frozen veggies are a great time saver. Cut up some meat, toss in the frozen veggies, some seasonings, stirfry in 15-20 minutes. I also keep chicken broth handy. I can make a decent soup with chicken broth, frozen veggies, and egg noodles. We always have dried pasta, rice, and canned beans. Brown sausage, toss in some beans and spices, frozen chopped peppers and celery, serve over rice. If I'm fealing super lazy a green salad with a boiled egg works. If I'm feeling too lazy for even that, peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a bowl of cereal works fine. Don't really have any canned pasta sauces but a can of tomatoes, a can of tomato paste and some dried herbs and spices makes a quick pasta sauce.

We don't do processed foods because of a whole pile of intolerances and dietary needs/preferences.

Bacon and eggs, french toast, omelets used to be staples, along with waffles, pancakes, etc. But DH is off eggs for the full calendar year and it seems to be helping him. I can't serve him anything with a hint of egg in it.

However, every time I make a meal I always make it family sized (now it is just the two of us) and freeze single and double portions. These become handy if DH is going to his on-call job and for those times I just can't cook. I also can, preserve and buy meats in bulk.

I make a huge batch of marinara sauce and freeze it in several different sizes. This can be used so many different ways - add vegetables and/or meat to use with pasta, lasagna, etc.

I make my own broths (freezing them anywhere from ice cubes to one liter containers), meat pies, desserts, casseroles and just freeze them. I will cook a large roast (beef or pork), for a dinner then slice the rest up thinly for individual sandwiches.

So I guess you would say that the brand I keep on hand is my own. :chef:

Last edited:
We don't do processed foods because of a whole pile of intolerances and dietary needs/preferences.

However, every time I make a meal I always make it family sized (now it is just the two of us) and freeze single and double portions. These become handy if DH is going to his on-call job and for those times I just can't cook. I also can, preserve and buy meats in bulk.

I make a huge batch of marinara sauce and freeze it in several different sizes. This can be used so many different ways - add vegetables and/or meat to use with pasta, lasagna, etc.

I make my own broths (freezing them anywhere from ice cubes to one liter containers), meat pies, desserts, casseroles and just freeze them. I will cook a large roast (beef or pork), for a dinner then slice the rest up thinly for individual sandwiches.

So I guess you would say that the brand I keep on hand is my own. :chef:
Good for you. :chef:

I keep meaning to that. I do some of it.

Good for you. :chef:

I keep meaning to that. I do some of it.
Well I have to say it is not easy, but in our household it is of necessity. That is why I make huge meals when I am able to cook and make freezer meals. That way we have something and don't have to try risky prepared foods.

When we were kids pancakes for dinner seemed like a fantastic treat, when we got older we realized we only had them when mom was flat broke! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Ours were waffles and pancakes, I ate so many waffles/pancakes for dinner as a kid that I couldn't stand them until just recently in the past couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom