Not your regular Chicken Wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Important Elements

Assistant Cook
So I wanted to make some wings the other day, and as much as I love buffalo style deep fried, I craved something different. I love the crispy skin and hot sauce, but with this recipe I decided to use charcoal.*

Its always hard to marinate wings because of the thick skin, its almost impossible to penetrate it with anything. *One thing that works very well on wings is a paste made of different dry peppers.*

I re hydrated some tasty varieties of peppers, and blended them with garlic and oil.*

5SDv7pK.jpg

24 hours later the color of wings get so nice*

5MRWeAe.jpg

I got some really cool thick skewers that work very well for wings and other tricky meats. Some hickory wood, and BAM*

tB7iKhp.jpg

MbVajF2.jpg

ngOMPhY.jpg

For the Sauce -*

Very simple and tasty*

2 parts ketchup

2 parts tomato sauce

salt

pepper

1 teaspoon sunflower seed oil

1 teaspoon white wine vinegar

2 tablespoons of finely chopped onion*

little bit of cilantro

and a little bit of lime juice

h72dxg6.jpg

i9ALb4c.jpg

enjoy*

Looks excellent! What chilis did you use? Looks like guajillo, ancho and arbol or cayanne. I'll give that a whirl in the rotisserie basket over charcoal.

Very nice! Love the skewering.

I've tried doing wings on a gas grill, but the flareups were to much to deal with.

I can't wait to get a Weber kettle this year and cook over charcoal again.

Looks excellent! What chilis did you use? Looks like guajillo, ancho and arbol or cayanne. I'll give that a whirl in the rotisserie basket over charcoal.
+1

Yes, what chilies did you use?

I can't wait to get a Weber kettle this year and cook over charcoal again.

I have a home made version of this gadget but a lot of people who do wings on the kettle love using the Vortex. That inverted cone shaped charcoal gizmo directs intense heat up the center of the kettle for very efficient convection grilling.
Here's a photo I grabbed off the net:

Attachments

• VORTEX_.jpg
    VORTEX_.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 140
I have a home made version of this gadget but a lot of people who do wings on the kettle love using the Vortex. That inverted cone shaped charcoal gizmo directs intense heat up the center of the kettle for very efficient convection grilling.

It looks like one of the cones for pets only metal. What are the dark chunks in the middle on top over the cone? Smoker wood?

It looks like one of the cones for pets only metal. What are the dark chunks in the middle on top over the cone? Smoker wood?
You can cut the bottom out of a stainless steel bowl and use that. Some have done exactly that.

I'm sure that's smoke wood smoldering on top there, but most people mix a chunk or two of smoke wood in with the charcoal.

Last edited:

Thanks for kind words guys .

You are absolutely right on the peppers my friend !!!

guajillo, ancho and cayenne

Very cool, thanks. I'll have to remember that. Looks like you could cut the bottom off of a galvanized coal bucket. Or I like Rock's idea of a clay pot.

Thanks for kind words guys .

You are absolutely right on the peppers my friend !!!

guajillo, ancho and cayenne

I use fresh and dried chilis quite a bit. I use dried to make anything from pure powders to Thai curry pastes. I make many Mexican, Tex-Mex, Thai and BBQ (low and slow) dishes that use chilis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom