Now that I have a 14-cup food processor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I asked this in another thread, but never got answered. I am hoping you will be able to help me. I made dough in my FP with the dough blade, and it kneaded like you said in about 90 seconds, LOL.
But, it stuck like crazy to the bowl. Any trick to that so it doesn't stick?

Maybe you need to mix it drier for a FP? A TBS less water? Just a guess. Dry dough isn't as sticky.

Ok, I'll try. This is going from memory as the cookbook is at home and I'm at work (BTW it's nearly 1pm on a Saturday, I'm in Australia :))

Aaaanyway....you put the flour (my recipe calls for 300g from memory) in the food processor, using the sharp blade, with the pinch of salt (this is for savoury of course, I suppose you might be putting sugar in for a sweet shortcrust pasty)...then you add the cold diced butter (I *think* it said 125g, not 100% sure, will have to check at home) and process it until it is blended and resembles fine bread crumbs (takes less than 30 seconds).

Then whilst it is still running, slowly trickle in the 3 - 4 tablespoons of cold water (in Australia 1Tbsp = 20mls). It will come together and form a ball within about 20 seconds, then you tip it out and roll it out on a lightly floured bench/board, and press it into the flan tin as normal.

I then prick the base all over with a fork, blind bake it with rice/baking paper for 15 minutes (moderate oven), then take the rice out and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes to crisp it. The crust is now ready to use.

I need more education here. It sounds like you made a special dough/cup crust.

I awaus ate flan incuban resturants but it was a custard.
In chicago the little place served it in small 4 ounce used tin cans

I need more education here. It sounds like you made a special dough/cup crust.

I awaus ate flan incuban resturants but it was a custard.
In chicago the little place served it in small 4 ounce used tin cans

Sparkly didn't say she made flan - she said she used her FP to make a savory shortcrust pastry (pâte brisée) shell to make quiche - she simply used a flan pan to bake it in.

I use my FP for that and pie crusts - so easy.

Last edited:
Hummus and baba ganoush can also be made in a food processor. I can't remember the proper spelling, but it will also do a good job on gespatcho (cold tomato soup). The longer you have a food processor, the more you will need it.
Thanks for suggesting these, vmax. I've never made any of them, but I'm going to now. If you have any recipes or tips you'd be willing to share, I'd be really grateful. And BTW, welcome to DC.

Hmmm that's right, the wife has a request in for hummus now that I have a new FP. Better get a good recipe for it....

Hmmm that's right, the wife has a request in for hummus now that I have a new FP. Better get a good recipe for it....
I've been hearing a lot about hummus lately, too, Mav. (Didn't Dina say she's making it regularly now?) Anyway, I need a recipe. If you find a good one first, will you share with me?

I've been hearing a lot about hummus lately, too, Mav. (Didn't Dina say she's making it regularly now?) Anyway, I need a recipe. If you find a good one first, will you share with me?

The wife loves it, and buys it every chance she gets. If I find a good recipe I will be more than happy to share it with you.
I know someone on here must have one, LOL. I want to try making a garlic flavored one, and a roasted red pepper one, two of her favorites.

I have an older 14 cup kweez with ALL the blades, and I use it for all kinds of stuff. Pie crust, veggies for cooking and salads, fresh salsas, grinding meat for burgers and such. Oh, yeah, and yam French fries. I've been drying tomatoes lately, and this baby slices them perfectly...has an 8mm thick slicing disc. This was, BTW, a thrift store find. And it would definitely rock for 'kraut...I have a 5 gallon crock, and should be putting some up for winter. I haven't tried it for yeast bread, 'cause I have an N-50 sitting on the counter next to it (thrift store as well).

This site should get you started:

Everything You Wanted to Know About Hummus but Were Afraid to Ask

The recipe I've been using for years (learned it from a neighbor who was from Iraq) is basically the Hummus with Tahini recipe on that page except I use about twice as much tahini and EVOO as they call for. I also make a little bigger well in the center of the dip and add about 1/4 cup EVOO - and add more as you run out.

And if you like eggplant - Baba Ghanoush

I can make an entire meal out of either one of these and some pita bread ... and have!

Last edited:
Shred the carrots for the carrot cake.
Grind the walnuts for the carrot cake.
Shred carrots for the carrot/apple/walnut/raisin salad.
Grind up 1 lb cream cheese, shred 1 lb cheddar cheese, grind it together with a little sourcream and add garlic and spices to taste for the best spread around. Melt that for tortilla chips.
Slice lbs of onions for the french onion soup.
Grind for pesto (basil and garlic) with oil, parmesan, season.
Grind (mix) the cheesecake batter to get it perfectly smooth.
Hummus (as was mentioned), tahini (grind the seeds).
Shred up the cabbage for kimchi or saurkraut, and shred up some carrots and onions and celery to add to it, makes fast work of it.
Grind walnuts and black olives for a sandwich spread. (mom's recipe)
Another was green olives chopped with cream cheese.
Grind ham or baloney and pickles then mayo for a sandwich spread. (any cooked leftover meat make a great spread with a little mayo and pickle)
Shred fresh made soap to melt down into laundry detergent. (makes it easy to wash too :LOL:)

I've used my food processor to replace my hand shredder, my mandolin in some cases, my hand mixer--though I still keep them all.
~bliss

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom