Nutella chat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nutty Over Nutella

When I bumped into this recipe, I remembered all the Nutella fans here... so here's another one:

Nutella Ice Cream Cups
Servings: 8

1 pint chocolate ice cream, softened until spreadable but not melted
1 cup nutella
2 pints coffee ice cream, softened until spreadable but not melted
8 whole toasted peeled hazelnuts

Have ready 8 ramekins with a 5 to 6 oz capacity. Spread 1/4 cup chocolate ice cream in the bottom of each ramekin. Drizzle 2 tsp nutella evenly over the chocolate ice cream. Spread 1/2 cup coffee ice cream in each ramekin. Smooth the top. Freeze the ramekins until the coffee ice cream is firm, about 30 minutes. Removing only 4 ramekins from the freezer at a time, spread a smooth layer of nutella over the coffee ice cream. Place a hazelnut in the center of each filled ramekin. Freeze the ramekins just until the topping is firm, about 15 minutes. Serve.

TO FREEZE AHEAD: Wrap each ramekin tightly with plastic wrap. Gently press heavy aluminum foil around each ramekin. Label with date and contents. Freeze up to 2 weeks.

TO SERVE: Unwrap the ramekins and let sit at room temperature 5 to 10 minutes to soften the ice cream slightly.

kadesma said:
Lyn,
just saw your post.
Yes, please post your recipe, I'd love to have it..

kadesma:)

kadesma,

Here is the Hazelnut Truffle recipe:

1 cup heavy cream
1 1/4 lb. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup Nutella
2 1/2 c of hazelnuts

Line an 8x8 pan with a piece of parchment paper; let paper extend over the edge.
Pour cream in a heavy saucepan and bring to a full boil over medium heat.
Remove from heat and slowly whisk in chopped chocolate and butter until melted.
Stir in Nutella.
Pour into prepared pan. Chill mixture.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, toast until lightly browned and skins crack, about 5-7 minutes. While still warm, rub hazelnuts with a kitchen towel to remove as much skin as possible. Let cool, and chop very finely.
Remove truffle mixture from pan by carefully pulling up by the edges of the paper. Put on a large work surface. Using a long, sharp, knife dipped in hot water and dried, cut into one inch squares. Roll into traditional ball shape and press into hazelnuts. Place in candy papers and referigerate. Serve at room temperature. Truffles may be stored in tight containers up to a week at a cool temperature.

Obtained from NorthStar Market, Bakerstown, PA

Enjoy!! :mrgreen:

Thank you Lyn,
the recipe look lucious and I'll be making thm possibly this week end.. Thank you again for sharing with us,

kadesma:)

I like to make grilled nutella and fresh strawberry sandwiches for breakfast. Butter the outsides of a nice brioche bread. Spread nutella on one slice, and top with fresh strawberry slices. Top with the other slice of bread, and then grill. When you flip it, sprinkle the hot top slice with sugar, the heat will make it adhere and become crunchy. When you flip it again to the plate, sprinkle that side with sugar, as well. By all means, serve this with champagne...

Anyone ever try Nutella instead of peanut butter for cookies? (Having a deja vu moment, I think I posted this before...OOPS!) I have been intending to try it for some time now and STILL haven't done it. Maybe today if I have time.

Oh mannnn I haven't tasted nutella for years. I think we're going shopping in a little while and I think I saw nutella in stop and shop so I will have to buy a jar. I used to love nutella on toast. I saw someone had an idea of adding a little nutella to hot chocolate. Sounds a wonderful idea!!
I hate peanut butter. I used to like crunchy peanut butter when I was a kid but now I can't stand the stuff. Even the smell of it puts me off lol. And now I am living in the land of peanut butter! LOL

I haven't had Nutella since I was 10. I forgot all about it! I used to eat it all the time, usually on toast or a croissant. Maybe it's good that I haven't been around it all that much. . . I'd overindulge like no other. Lol.

I love Nutella, it goes on thicker than peanut butter on my bread thats for sure mmmmmmm :):):)

ohhh when i get home i am having some..i used to collect the magnets and things they used to put in the jar lid when i was a kid...made it even better hehehe

Nutella is quite popular in South America, specially in big cities (I'd imagine due to European influence), as someone stated in the first page.
In Sao Paulo, Brazil is pretty common to have all you can eat pizza where you pay a fix price and you get any slice of pizza that you can imagine and as dessert, I've tried Nutella pizza with banana slices. It was pretty good.

My kids got hooked on this just this week. My daughter tried it at her friend's house on waffles and we're hooked. I topped my ice cream with it with sliced bananas. Delicious!

Rom said:

ohhh when i get home i am having some..i used to collect the magnets and things they used to put in the jar lid when i was a kid...made it even better hehehe

I still collect it :D they are so cute! Used to put them inside my pencil box in school...

My restaurant supply/warehouse store had Nutella on sale once, so I picked up a jar, thinking it might be a good alternative to peanut butter once in a while on toast. Then I read the ingredients, and put it back on the shelf!

INGREDIENTS (in order of quantity): Sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, milk, skimmed-milk powder, milk proteins, lecitine (emulsifying agent), natural flavour

Sorry, but the only thing I'll buy that has sugar listed as the first ingredient, is sugar!

We spread it on graham crackers. It is also good as a spread for banana chunks.

Last edited:
My restaurant supply/warehouse store had Nutella on sale once, so I picked up a jar, thinking it might be a good alternative to peanut butter once in a while on toast. Then I read the ingredients, and put it back on the shelf!

INGREDIENTS (in order of quantity): Sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, milk, skimmed-milk powder, milk proteins, lecitine (emulsifying agent), natural flavour

Sorry, but the only thing I'll buy that has sugar listed as the first ingredient, is sugar!

Like you, I read labels on everything I purchase. Perhaps, if more people did that, some of this country's health problems would begin to diminish. But, having said that, please don't disregard the wonderful taste that is Nutella! Consider it a treat, not a 'healthy alternative' to anything! If you spread just a spoonful on toasted whole grain bread, and then top it with fresh sliced strawberries, it's not the worse snack you could eat! Just a helpful hint from one label reader to another!

VB and others; Being diabetic, I too stay away from sugary and starchy things as a rule. But there is wisdom in VeraBlue's words. I was counciled to every once in a while, indulge in something really good, but in small amounts, like a favorite piece of chocolate. The idea is to eat something very good, not the cheap, or waxy stuff. With chocolate, I'd by some Dove dark, and put just a single square in my cheek and suck on it until it was completely dissolved. My favorite is to do the same with a Cadbury Caramello. Nutella works in the same way. Spread a tsp. or so on a piece of whole wheat bread and savor the flavor. This helps stop the cravings that sometimes lead diabetics to occasionally binge on doughnuts, or mashed potatoes, or sugary treats. The amount of sugar taken in is small, but satisfying neough to help control the carbohydrate cravings.

It's also important when using this technique to use something intensely flavorful as that will help satisfy the brain better than weaker flavored foods.

Good call VB! Don't deprive, moderate.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom