Ode to the humble chicken...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I stumbled onto this video, and was instantly enamored of the chef. He's passionate about... chicken. I think of chicken as a tasty, cheap staple food. It's not steak, after all.

But, I learned something new today. Chicken as fine dining.

I'm not sure if this will become a "thing," but I do know I'd like to taste those birds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LThURmNk3Os

CD

Some of the best chicken I have had was roasted in a similar machine. The put boiled potatoes at the bottom to soak up the juices. That was sooooo tasty. I would like a source for chicken like that. I get free range, organic chicken, which is noticeably tastier than regular store bought chicken.

Interesting. I really like the idea of poaching before putting on the rotisserie. Thanks for posting this.

Weird coincidence to see this post. I actually had a dinner reservation all lined up in March at Chef Westermann's restaurant, Le Coq Rico. No, not the one in New York, but at his original location in the Montmartre region of Paris (close to the Moulin Rouge). A friend of mine travels to Paris several times a year on business, and when I asked him for a dining recommendation, this place was at the top of his list. "The best chicken you've ever had," were his exact words.

Sadly, the Paris leg of my trip was cancelled due to bad weather flying out of Minneapolis, and so my dinner reservation was cancelled as well. :(

I was really looking forward to trying that Guinea Fowl!

That was a really interesting video. I love chicken cooked all kinds of ways but if the skin is going to be on it I want it brown and crisp, or not there at all.

I actually have always enjoyed chicken. Sunday dinners were usually centered around a roast chicken. When we buy chicken now, it's usually thighs or wings with occasional breasts for guests or cutlets.

When our granddaughter was living with us, breasts were the only art she would eat.

Some of the best chicken I have had was roasted in a similar machine. The put boiled potatoes at the bottom to soak up the juices. That was sooooo tasty.

I often put par-cooked diced red potatoes in a foil pan under my rotisserie when I use it to cook a chicken. The drippings really are great on potatoes.

CD

My mom used to poach or par-boil her chickens before splitting and either grilling over charcoal in the backyard, or broiling them in our old Chambers oven, and they were always so good.

I've often poached chicken parts before bringing in a cooler on a canoeing or car camping trip. After a really bad experience eating semi-raw chicken in the Scouts, I would never try to cook chicken in the wild unless I had a lot of time to make a proper fire with coals, and good weather.

It's funny how ideas change in that I've so often heard that poaching or par-boiling meats is a no-no. It takes away fat, or "the flavor". Maybe not with all meats.

Last edited:
My mom used to poach or par-boil her chickens before splitting and either grilling over charcoal in the backyard, or broiling them in our old Chambers oven, and they were always so good.

I've often poached chicken parts before bringing in a cooler on a canoeing or car camping trip. After a really bad experience eating semi-raw chicken in the Scouts, I would never try to cook chicken in the wild unless I had a lot of time to make a proper fire with coals, and good weather.

It's funny how ideas change in that I've so often heard that poaching or par-boiling meats is a no-no. It takes away fat, or "the flavor". Maybe not with all meats.
Didn't the chef in the video parboil in chicken stock? That could account for no loss of flavour. Also, you can use that stock or parboiling water to loosen the stuff that drips from the chicken when you make your jus.

Interesting video, cd, or at least the first 2 minutes of it was. I couldn't listen any longer because I hate when a video or TV cooking show or anything tutorial or informational plays background music All Of The Time. People are talking here! Why do I have to be distracted with music, sometimes louder than the people speaking?

Rant over. :) Yup, I'd like to taste those little birdies myself, too.

Interesting video, cd, or at least the first 2 minutes of it was. I couldn't listen any longer because I hate when a video or TV cooking show or anything tutorial or informational plays background music All Of The Time. People are talking here! Why do I have to be distracted with music, sometimes louder than the people speaking?

Rant over. :) Yup, I'd like to taste those little birdies myself, too.

I don't even remember hearing background music. I'm not doubting that it was there, but I didn't notice it.

But, I understand what you are saying. Some things distract me in the same way. Just not in this case.

CD

I don't even remember hearing background music. I'm not doubting that it was there, but I didn't notice it.

But, I understand what you are saying. Some things distract me in the same way. Just not in this case.

CD

I went back to listen to the end starting at the middle. Sure 'nuf, very softly there is music in the background.

Back
Top Bottom