Oil question for Sun Dried Tomato - Pesto Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Came across this recipe the other day, and made it tonight ( haven't eaten it yet, although a few finger dips (when no one was looking) and it tastes really good.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...YC3X67EvHcxZCc8jvQjKzFRAt5mIDh6YcXaOOXxnr9O-Q

Anyway, the recipe calls for Oil packed sun dried tomatoes ( Drained)
Later on in the recipe, it calls for Olive oil.

My question is, why not just use the oil that the tomatoes were packed in? IF need more, can add additional olive oil to equal desired consistency. My thinking is that the oil from the tomatoes is probably packed with tomato flavor, so why not take advantage of it.

Just curious if Im overlooking some undesirable reason to use the tomato packed oil.

Larry

Taste it...it may have strong or bitter elements that don't lend well to the finished product..not saying it will, but you can be sure by giving it a lick..

Thats what I would, and normally do.
Id dip a finger it, give it a good taste, and if everything was ok, not over spiced or whatever, Id find some use for it.

larry, I just saw a recipe calling for oil-packed sundried tomatoes; it did call for using some of the tomato oil for cooking. If the oil tastes good, why not?

I can't bear to pour out that nice sundried tomato oil. :)

Living alone, I try to have a few recipes in mind when I buy a bottle, so it doesn't go to waste. In the summer months I use it in orzo salads. Come to think of it, I've also mixed it with a little extra olive oil and lemon juice in green salads. Good stuff.

Provided the oil has no bitter or other unpleasant tastes, i think it would be great mixed into a compound butter!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom