Oil - what kind for general use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clarafied butter, peanut, or ev.olive for me. Can't beat butter for eggs.

I like peanut oil as it does not appreciatbly alter the taste of the finished product. I tried to eat a fried egg I prepared using an olive oil based margrine.

After that day I naver again used olive oil for anything except salads. That was 8 years ago. I still don't.

We use mustard oil as all purpose oil due to its high smoke point.

Mustard oil is also good for health but you may not like its typical pungent odour.

My every day oil is canola, and I use olive oil for salads, etc. Jennyemma gave me some sesame oil awhile back, and I liked that for fried rice.

:)Barbara

We use mustard oil as all purpose oil due to its high smoke point.

Mustard oil is also good for health but you may not like its typical pungent odour.

I had never heard of mustard oil before this. That's why I love this place.

Does it have a very strong mustard flavor? Is that what makes it pungent? I'm not a fan of mustard, but then again, I don't really like olives, either, soooo....

For the OP - my all-purpose oil is olive oil. Not extra-virgin. I buy it by the gallon at Costco. We don't deep-fat fry anything, so very high temps are not a huge issue here.

The other all-purpose is ghee (clarified butter), that I buy from my favorite Indian grocery in quart jars. Now, though, I might have to look for mustard oil! :chef:

Olive oil versus all other oils.

I find interesting how some information on food is known only in the region where that information is positive and when is negative, it's not known.
Here, probably because of pride (or sciovinism!) everyone considers the health of Olive coming, beside other things, from the natural way it is extrated.
It's an olive paste juice that is pressed, and basically at low temperature. No chemicals.
As far as I'm aware, all other oils are extracted using chemical extraction plus several high temperature passages and steam to ease extraction and clean the paste.
The widely used extractor is hexane. Again it's known here for typical shoe maker disease but it's worldwide known as the "drug of the poor people" sniffing glue.
Yes, hexange is taken out from oil and recicled, but who knows that it's well done.
There are now on the market seed oils that are pressed. Usually organic oil seed.

I believe several brands of Grape seed oil are cold pressed just as is olive oil.

coldpressed grapeseed oil

Yes there are, not the cheap ones. Here is something that could be found in organic shop or specialty shop and costs about the same if not more than olive oil, it might be different in the US.

Could it be that Canola oil and Mustard oil are the same oil, just a different name?

I don't think so, (not in Canada anyway) although mustard seed and canola seed belong to the same basic family. Any mustard oil I have seen has a very strong odor and flavor; canola oil has neither a strong odor nor flavor. Same family, not the same stuff though.

I had never heard of mustard oil before this. That's why I love this place.

Does it have a very strong mustard flavor? Is that what makes it pungent? I'm not a fan of mustard, but then again, I don't really like olives, either, soooo....

For the OP - my all-purpose oil is olive oil. Not extra-virgin. I buy it by the gallon at Costco. We don't deep-fat fry anything, so very high temps are not a huge issue here.

The other all-purpose is ghee (clarified butter), that I buy from my favorite Indian grocery in quart jars. Now, though, I might have to look for mustard oil! :chef:

No, it don't have strong mustard flavor, but another kind of pungent odor (we love that typical odor ).

It has much higher smoke point than all purpose ghee, and also better for health.

I am about equal distance from Italian, Asian, and Indian markets. Plus local supermarkets. Found you MUST always read the labels. You can buy straight sesame seed oil or they slip you sesame flavored soy oil. The same is true of mustard oil and chili oil. The latest issue of COOKS ILLUSTRATED has an article on oils. We usually get EVOO first cold press from the Italian market in a 3 liter can. Have our salads with it and balsamic vinigar. Have vegetable oil (soy), peanut, sunflower, safflower, grapeseed, canola, real sesame, real mustard, and real chili oil. I think there maybe some corn oil on the lower shelf by the distilled white vinegar. Butter, ghee Crisco and bacon fat are in the kitchen. For a chili the mustard oil and chili oil kick flavor. Butter and a drizzle of olive oil for eggs is fine but then sometimes eggs are in the pan after bacon. What do you rub on a turkey before cooking butter or oil?

My every day oil for frying is canola or corn oil. I also have peanut oil for high temp, EV olive oil for finishing and flavor. I've wanted to try grapeseed oil, but can't justify the cost.

Back
Top Bottom