Olive oil for frying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you mean deep frying? I wouldn't, although I don't deep fry. It's too expensive for that. I use butter and/or less expensive evoo or canola oil for sautéing.

Darcy, with your question everything depends on what you are calling frying, what you are cooking and for how long. I like the flavor combo of olive oil and butter for a shallow fry saute' of fish or boneless chicken for example, but something that takes longer to cook needs an oil with a higher smoke point than olive oil such as peanut or vegetable oil.

Last edited:
So long you dont use extra virgin olive oil, then normal pan frying is oki.

I ALWAYS use olive oil for frying - and sunflower oil and butter. but nothing else. I live in Italy, and I was in Milan one day and went past a delicatessen shop to die for. I bought lots of stuff, included some deep fried items (prawns, calamari, zucchini flowers, and the like. The owner told me that he always used olive oil and sunflower oil (50% + 50%), and it's excellent. I've fried a lot of what I do fry that way. For shallow frying I use either 100% olive oil or 50% olive oil + 50% butter, or 25% EVOO and 75% butter. If I use 100% butter, it has to be at a moderate heat or it burns. All my friends love my deep fried zucchini flowers and the curry deep fried cauliflower that I do. As the expense, I find it's worth it every time because I get very good results, thanks to that man in Milan!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I sauté with light tasting olive oil, which has a higher smoking point than extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil I use for drizzling, dipping, and making vinaigrettes. If I am creating something extra special, I use Amoretti organic extra virgin finishing olive oil infused with the natural flavor & aroma of kalamata olives.

7160-pet-olive-oil-500ml-front-1400x1400_grande.jpg

Last edited:
I use plain, filtered olive oil (not EVOO) for most frying. It's not that expensive, it's easy to find, and has good cooking qualities.

That said, I still prefer Crisco shortening for fried chicken. I did 4 panko breaded thighs in Crisco for dinner last night... soooooo good!

For deep frying, I go with a veg. oil. For light frying, pasta, meat I would use olive oil.

If we are deep frying vege oil and on occasion peanut oil. Pan frying, usually vege oil with butter. For something like carnitas, leaf lard or Manteca.

I found this great list of fats for various uses in a "eating and cooking healthy" cookbook at the library -

Fats - a Primer

Good fats for hot preparation
Butter
Chicken fat (moderate use)
Coconut oil
Duck fat
Ghee (clarified butter with foam removed)
Goose fat
Lard
Palm oil
Tallow (rendered beef or lamb fat)

Good fats for cold preparation
Avocado oil
Nut oils
Olive oil
Seed oils (flax, sesame, hemp, pumpkin, etc)

Bad fats for any use
Canola oil
Corn oil
Cottonseed oil
Margarine or other fake butters
Rice bran oil
Safflower oil
Shortening
Soybean oil
Sunflower oil
Vegetable oil

Last edited:
I found this great list of fats for various uses in a "eating and cooking healthy" cookbook at the library -

Fats - a Primer

Good fats for hot preparation
Butter
Chicken fat (moderate use)
Coconut oil
Duck fat
Ghee (clarified butter with foam removed)
Goose fat
Lard
Palm oil
Tallow (rendered beef or lamb fat)

Good fats for cold preparation
Avocado oil
Nut oils
Olive oil
Seed oils (flax, sesame, hemp, pumpkin, etc)

Bad fats for any use
Canola oil
Corn oil
Cottonseed oil
Margarine or other fake butters
Rice bran oil
Safflower oil
Shortening
Soybean oil
Sunflower oil
Vegetable oil

I think that's someone's idea of how it works, but it doesn't make much sense to me. It doesn't even include many people's favorite peanut oil, unless that is in the group they call "nut oil, which the peanut isn't actually. And peanut oil for cold use? They lump olive oil into a single entity as if olive oil filtered and processed for cooking is the same as EVOO for finishing.

Looks like a very slanted list - one author's idea of "healthy", and no clue who the author is or what credentials he may own. Canola oil is considered a useful oil on most such lists. All oils should be used in moderation, and if so used, none are really that bad.

When I see a list like this without a verifiable source I pretty much blow it off.

Last edited:
somewhere a wacko posts every minute.

"The American Heart Association recommends cooking oils lowest in saturated fats, trans fats and cholesterol – such as canola oil, corn oil, olive oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, soybean oil and sunflower oil. Use them sparingly, though, because they contain 120 calories per tablespoon. Use liquid vegetable oils or nonfat cooking sprays whenever possible. Stay away from coconut oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil. Even though they are vegetable oils and have no cholesterol, they are high in saturated fats."

source:
Heart-and-Stroke-Encyclopedia

somewhere a wacko posts every minute.

"The American Heart Association recommends cooking oils lowest in saturated fats, trans fats and cholesterol – such as canola oil, corn oil, olive oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, soybean oil and sunflower oil. Use them sparingly, though, because they contain 120 calories per tablespoon. Use liquid vegetable oils or nonfat cooking sprays whenever possible. Stay away from coconut oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil. Even though they are vegetable oils and have no cholesterol, they are high in saturated fats."

source:
Heart-and-Stroke-Encyclopedia

I use sesame oil to brown the spicy meatballs for Bahn Mi sandwiches. I doubt that all the calories from the oil make it into the meatballs. Your caution is well taken, providing you are consuming the oil(s) directly, such as in Sesame Noodles.

Back
Top Bottom