Olive oil question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

retiredguy

Assistant Cook
5401128183_5a5e61fbc1.jpg

Can you see this mold like nodules in the oil? I tried shaking it with no effect.

I bought it in DEC from Walmart and stored it in our 68* cellar. I love olive oil, it's so clear you can read a newspaper threw it.

There's no 800# to call and my wife doesn't know what to make of it either. We didn't open it because I'm thinking I may have to take it back based on what the experts here say. Thanks.

Last edited:
At 68* I don't think it should do that. And if it did get cold, when you warm it up to room temp is should be fine, from what I've learned. Head back to wally world and pick up some steaks and mushrooms while your there, .....you know .....for tonight when I come by.;):LOL:

Any expiration date?

YUCK YUCK YUCK, take it back, i've never seen anything like that... Maybe the company has a website you could check... :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I would just bring it upstairs and put it by a heating vent or in the sun where it is warmer and see if goes clear. If it doesn't, take it back.

I'm more likely to think it is the oil solidifying (sp?) or it has a water/liquid component that is separating out coated by olive oil.

What happens when it is warmed to 75 degrees F?

Different oils solidify at different temperatures. I have coconut oil in the basement, some of it solidfies as 72 degrees F, some solidifies at 90 degrees F. When an oil solidfies depends on how it is processed. A hydrogenated oil (think shortening) is liquid processed into a solid at regular room temperatures.

Let us know what you decide.

I wouldn't mess with it. It might be rancid...I hate rancid fats. Take it back and get refund or exchange.

Even if it clears when moved to a warmer location it looks contaminated. Take it back. To me, it would not be worth the risk of getting the family sick.

I have always heard that two years is the longest you can keep olive oil. Maybe the store kept it too long before it got to you. I would take it back. It just doesn't look right!:huh:

Thank you everyone for the input.

Well it cleared up a lot maybe 80% but there are still some deposits on the bottom. If it doesn't totally clear up by tomorrow I'll return it. Thanks again.

oil.jpg

Freezing Olive Oil | The Olive Oil Source

"Oil that has not been winterized will clump and form needle-like crystals at refrigerator temperatures as the longer chain fats and waxes in the oil congeal, but the oil will not usually harden completely unless chilled further. Some olive varieties form waxes that produce long thin crystals, others form waxes that congeal into rosettes, slimy clumps, clouds, a swirl of egg white like material, or white sediment that the consumer may fear represents spoilage. These visual imperfections also may form outside the refrigerator during the winter when oil is exposed to cold temperatures during transport. The white color in the hardened oil does not indicate spoilage."

I thought this was interesting information--above.

I'm not aware of any visual clues to an oil being rancid. I thought the only way to tell if oil was rancid was by taste and smell. HTH

I would just bring it upstairs and put it by a heating vent or in the sun where it is warmer and see if goes clear. If it doesn't, take it back.

I'm more likely to think it is the oil solidifying (sp?) or it has a water/liquid component that is separating out coated by olive oil.

What happens when it is warmed to 75 degrees F?

Different oils solidify at different temperatures. I have coconut oil in the basement, some of it solidfies as 72 degrees F, some solidifies at 90 degrees F. When an oil solidfies depends on how it is processed. A hydrogenated oil (think shortening) is liquid processed into a solid at regular room temperatures.

Let us know what you decide.
That's exactly what my coconut oil looks like when it solidifies....but put the bottle in some lukewarm water and 10 min later it looks totally normal again. I would try that with this bottle and if nothing changes then I'd take it back. If you're worried about damaging the label by putting it in water (in case you have to take it back) then put it in a plastic bag and then put the bag in the pot of water. Water doesn't need to be especially hot.

I got it as a t-shirt...funny, my sister doesn't like it.:ROFLMAO:
LOL
I have a sister too. Mine's more like the girl in the Trop50 commericial.
'Ladies, you don't say GOODER, There's no such word as GOODER'
'But, Jane, you look GOODER'
'Do I?'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0NIgWipLjs

This is not thread drift.:LOL: :LOL::LOL: It's all related to olive oil in some way, I just haven't figured out how it is related.

LOL
I have a sister too. Mine's more like the girl in the Trop50 commericial.
'Ladies, you don't say GOODER, There's no such word as GOODER'
'But, Jane, you look GOODER'
'Do I?'

This is not thread drift.:LOL: :LOL::LOL: It's all related to olive oil in some way, I just haven't figured out how it is related.

My sister is like that, too...especially after she makes a meal with olive oil.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom