Once a year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
There are a lot of threads here about favorites so I thought I would start another. What is your favorite thing that you look forward to all year? Usually it will be something that just doesn't taste the same at other times of the year and when you are expecting to have it the occasion just doesn't seem right without it.
For me it is a tomatoe sandwich. When the tomatoes first ripen and are fat and juicy I must have a tomatoe sandwich on white bread (Yes, the soft gummy kind) absolutely slathered with mayo and liberally sprinkled with salt and pepper, very liberally. Now this is not a gastonomes delight for most people but for me it harkens to a time when I was very young and the days were warm and life was a joy. That second tomatoe sandwich of the year is never the same as the first.
So what is that thing which for you is a must at some time of the year? Christmas turkey? Chocolate birthday cake? Summer strawberries?

That is easy for me. It is Thanksgiving dinner. Sure I could make all these things any other day, but I never do. I love everything about Thansgiving dinner from the turkey to the gravy to the pecan pie. And the leaves outside make the perfect backdrop while feasting.

Once a year, usually at Christmas, we decide what Ethnic dinner we would like to have for our dinner. Money is no object as it is just the one time. I build it all from scratch. There is no one favorite, I'm kinda spoiled, I make Thanksgiving meals anytime I like. So it has to be the one time a year I do something wild, extravagant and fun.

I am going with the Thanksgiving spread too.
I held the feast at my house for many years.
My BIL and SIL took it over about ten years ago.
I have never been happier.He actually makes a better bird than me.He buys an expensive free range bird and cooks it over charcoal on a weber kettle.

I will still cook several birds throughout the year but it sure is nice not having to deal with that big production,cost and cleanup anymore.

Mine is one we don't have anymore, but is still ingrained in my mind.

It was simply known as "Christmas Salad" and there was no recipe ever written as far as I know. It was handed down on my mother's side of the family with the unspoken "rule" that it was not to be shared outside the family.

It consisted of fruit, dates, marshmallows and nuts, with a tangy but sweet dressing. It was very rich and you couldn't eat very much of it but it was that first bite that mattered the most...you'd been waiting all year for.

My Mom passed away 15 years ago, and I had helped her make it many times so could carry it on; however, Dad got diabetes, my sister and I were always trying to watch our weight, and DH couldn't have the dairy in it. So, we stopped it awhile back. I don't even know if I could get the dressing right anymore but the memory of those flavours will never leave!

Thanks for reminding me of this!

I love to cook Thanksgiving Dinner. It's the most important holiday event for me.

It's so important that I've cooked a complete thanksgiving dinner for just myself when I was living alone.

The ideal for me is to have SO and my daughters and family around the table for the day. I make what I like as well as what others like.

I love to cook Thanksgiving Dinner. It's the most important holiday event for me.

It's so important that I've cooked a complete thanksgiving dinner for just myself when I was living alone.

The ideal for me is to have SO and my daughters and family around the table for the day. I make what I like as well as what others like.
That's how I am. If we don't go somewhere, I cook the full meal for just James and me. Thanksgiving dinner isn't just about eating. It is about the many memories the smells bring back of past family Thanksgivings. Just writing that brought back some memories!

Once a year, usually at Christmas, we decide what Ethnic dinner we would like to have for our dinner. Money is no object as it is just the one time. I build it all from scratch. There is no one favorite, I'm kinda spoiled, I make Thanksgiving meals anytime I like. So it has to be the one time a year I do something wild, extravagant and fun.
I love that!

:)Barbara

Amazingly enough, I look forward to our monthly faculty workshops. The kids come to school for a half day and then the teachers break into small discussion groups to discuss elements of Marzano's Essential Nine.

The reason I like these workshops is because I've managed to talk my principal into allowing me to host meetings with my group in my department. I essentially bribed the principal and the group leader with an offer of a buffet lunch ... so much to the envy of the other faculty, teachers in my group have a working lunch in the Culinary Arts department.

In September we had an Italian lunch ... Lasagna Florentine Roulades, Shrimp Pasta Alfredo, Penne Pasta with Marinara Sauce, and Strawberry Cheesecake Pie.

During our next meeting we'll have Hungarian Goulash with Egg Noodles with Rigo Jancsi Cake.

In November we'll go Asian with Indonesian Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce, Chinese Vegetable Egg Rolls, Japanese Makizushi, Indian Curried Rice, and Egg Custard Tarts.

I wish I could invite the other teachers but since this is a district workshop, I can't very well afford to invite all of the teachers in the district. Part of the reason I can't do this is because I tend to be somewhat conservative and don't believe in spending Culinary Arts money on teachers. The money I spend on teacher meals comes out of my own pocket and I reserve Culinary Arts funds to buy food for Culinary Arts students to produce and eat.

For me it depends on the time of the year because I like fruit and veg according to their normal growing season. Unfortunately in England we don't have Thanksgiving, so have to rely on Christmas which is a fave time for me.

Of food, I am still trying different ethnics. But I love Indian food, also Thai. But like it fairly hot. During summertime I like Italian cuisine and depending on the dish, a nice Bararello or a crisp chilled Frascati to partner it.

i look forward to easter dinner as much as thanksgiving every year.

dw makes a traditional eastern european easter dinner of baked ham, a casserole of kielbasi/kraut/onions/potatoes, steamed asparagus, steamed stringbeans, coleslaw, potato salad, shredded beets and horseradish, farmer's cheese, and rye bread.

and there's only 3 of us. :pig: :pig: :pig:

I really like your idea. I think I will start something like it. Even though I live alone, it would be a way to celebrate.

When I was a kid, I remember negotiating with my parents that since they had Mother's Day and Father's day, we should also have a Sally's Day. They agreed and once a year we would do something special. Of course at that age, I was horse crazy, so one of the Sally's Days Mom took me to a horse show. It was wonderful seeing all those beautiful animals strutting their stuff with all those fancy gaits, and is something I will always remember.

When I read your post I thought about how I really want some lobster, and homemade oyster stew.

Your spare no expense comment made me realize that I could just pick a day to do just that without feeling guilty about the money and just treat myself once a year to an anything goes dinner. Thanks for the idea.

This is a fun thread to read! So many good feelings come up when you think about holidays, family and wonderful memories!​

Peppermint tea on Christmas morning. I have to have a cup of peppermint tea on Christmas and it's the best cup of tea all year long!

Pumpkin Spiced Coffee!!!!!

Definitely Thanksgiving dinner and my husband's family has done a fantastic job of making Thanksgiving even better (who would have thought it could get better??)

I realized my salad was nothing compared to Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. If I were to pick a meal that I do once a year and cherish, it would have to be our youth Christmas Banquet. The menu is always different, I have lots of parent helpers, but it is just such a labour of love from planning to the actual meal.

We start planning about now to figure out the menu, theme, decorations, party favours, etc. and assigning of tasks. Then we get together about two weeks before to pull it all together. Now we aren't talking pizzas, or other teen fare - last year was baron of beef with au jus, cranberry chicken and all the trimmings, plus a dessert buffet.

Now the youth themselves absolutely love this day. They bring their friends and they dress up.....yes, all of them guys and girls alike discard their jeans and t-shirts for some pretty fancy duds!

Yes, I think this is the once a year that I love the most!

I really like your idea. I think I will start something like it. Even though I live alone, it would be a way to celebrate.

When I was a kid, I remember negotiating with my parents that since they had Mother's Day and Father's day, we should also have a Sally's Day. They agreed and once a year we would do something special. Of course at that age, I was horse crazy, so one of the Sally's Days Mom took me to a horse show. It was wonderful seeing all those beautiful animals strutting their stuff with all those fancy gaits, and is something I will always remember.

When I read your post I thought about how I really want some lobster, and homemade oyster stew.

Your spare no expense comment made me realize that I could just pick a day to do just that without feeling guilty about the money and just treat myself once a year to an anything goes dinner. Thanks for the idea.

It just makes sense to treat ourselves once a year. With no family nearby and being unable to make the trip each holiday, Shrek and I have made our own traditions.

Most Christmas's have been celebrated on our Anniversary, 2 days after Christmas. I like to spend the holidays with my patient's at work. They deserve having someone there who WANTS to be there. Not just someone who couldn't get the day off.

For me it depends on the time of the year because I like fruit and veg according to their normal growing season. Unfortunately in England we don't have Thanksgiving, so have to rely on Christmas which is a fave time for me.

Of food, I am still trying different ethnics. But I love Indian food, also Thai. But like it fairly hot. During summertime I like Italian cuisine and depending on the dish, a nice Bararello or a crisp chilled Frascati to partner it.

I like the new avatar.What was the last one Moon Flower?

I was under the impression you were the 13yr old daughter of Linix.Am I wrong? You seem very mature for your age and have made a couple references to wine and bringing back some cases of it.Are you a wine drinker/lover?

I am not judging but I crack up a little everytime you write about it.My best freind's mom in grade school would give 1/2 wine 1/2 grape juice to the 3 yr old before nap time.I'll let my 9yr old taste my wine anytime she wants and give her about 2 oz. on special occasions.

BTW,You also seem quite well educated for a 13yr old.

Kudos

Thanksgiving is ours also. The food is a big part of it, but we have so many family members present then. We have it at the farm - my grandmothers old place which we have redone from stem to stern. We usually go up early in the week to get all the provisions and make as many things ahead as possible. My mother is approaching 93 and still comes every year. We usually end up with a birthday cake for her (which isn't eaten because everyone is so full of the traditional food) but it makes her happy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom