Onion Rings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
OK guys. I am tring to find a perfect onion ring recipe. Prefrably one that does not use any dairy in the batter.

This is going to be the first recipe I am working on for my cook book that I am working on via by blog/homepage that you can find in my profile feel free to leave comments here and there. I love getting into the nitty gritty details. Feel free to talk about specific ingredients and cooking methods.

bowlingshirt said:
Beer + flour + seasoning = easy batter with no dairy
What type of beer and how much? What type of flour and how much? What type of seasoning and how much

danpeikes said:
What type of beer and how much? What type of flour and how much? What type of seasoning and how much

you forgot to ask what type of onion, type of oil, size of mixing bowl, temperature of oil, how long to cook, how many it will feed, how to keep warm, nutritional information, what type of catsup to dip it in, and what type of ketchup to dip it in.

I am looking for the best ingredients and methods. Based on that I will come up with the best hybrid recipe.

Last edited:
Batter

bowlingshirt said:
you forgot to ask what type of onion, type of oil, size of mixing bowl, temperature of oil, how long to cook, how many it will feed, how to keep warm, nutritional information, what type of catsup to dip it in, and what type of ketchup to dip it in.
I have tried lighter and darker thicker beers my self. I find a thicker darker beer like guiness works well. Any one have any opinion or that? For now I use AP flour. I am tempted to try a high guten bread four to see if it crisps up better. Of course the testing will probably have to wait a few weeks till I move into my new cond into my new kitchen and use my new deep fryer. Feel free to take a look at my blog also address is listed as my homepage in my profile

I've tried both regular onions and sweet onions and far prefer sweet onions. My recipe won't work for you as I soak em in buttermilk first and then dip 'em in seasoned flour. They are super yummy, the best darn Oring I've ever had!

PytnPlace said:
I've tried both regular onions and sweet onions and far prefer sweet onions. My recipe won't work for you as I soak em in buttermilk first and then dip 'em in seasoned flour. They are super yummy, the best darn Oring I've ever had!
can the buttermilk be replaced. I know nothing can replace the flavor but possibly something that would function as well. Also you dip wet rings into a dry mix. Does that work better than dipping a dusted ring into a wet batter?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom