Opinions on Potluck Parties.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am curious to find out how you all like the food at potlucks? Do you generally enjoy it or not? Sometimes I skip lots of it. I'm not picky, just hard to please:LOL:
I'm the same way, but I also find that to be the beauty of potlucks. Some of it isn't that good, but every so often you find a hidden gem. Our wine club has a potluck every year, and there's one guy in particular who always brings something incredible. Last year it was a wild mushroom soup. The year before it was venison stew. I've picked up a few good recipes here and there.

I also have a hard time finding all of those flavors appetizing when eaten all together. Lots of them would probably be good on their own, but when you have a big plate of saucy meats, vegetables and/or salads from cuisines from all over the place, it can be a bit overwhelming on the taste buds and digestive system. It has to come out, too, after all......:LOL:

Attachments

• DC - Kayelle.png
    DC - Kayelle.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 107
If we're hosting a potluck, I'll often ask what their specialties are and work around that. It helps to have one person organizing though so not everyone brings an entree or all salads etc.

When I host a dinner, there are some folks who just FEEL better if they bring something. My MIL is one of those. She wants to feel she has contributed, so I always ask her to bring lefse. Its something I don't make and that everyone loves. We all win.

Meals and parties are about enjoying one another. I firmly maintain that celebrations are about the people not the food. I've had as much fun at a weiner roast as I've had at a 7 course elegant dining experience.

Well, you're kind of asking the wrong group if they're offended by being asked to bring food. The only thing about any party is that you, as host, are obliged to select guests to whom the particular kind of party appeals. It might well be negligence to invite someone just because they were in your list, when you know they do not enjoy that kind of informal party.

I am reminded of the story from the 1930's. A wealthy but playful couple delighted in creating awkward parties. And they were influential enough that no one would dream of refusing their invitation. For instance, two versions of the invitation were printed. One specified that the party was strictly formal dress. The other made it clear that dress was strictly casual. They sent the casual version to their friends who delighted in dressing to the hilt. They sent the formal version to their friends who abhored anything more formal than Hawaiian shirts and sandals. They would apologize profusely at the door for the supposed printer's error but got a kick out of watching the discomfort.

Nope not offended at all.

Lately we have been having pot lucks at work every-other Wednesday now as we have meetings from 10 - 3:30 with an hour lunch break. Some people cook, some buy, it all seems to work out in the end.

The best potluck parties ive had are with members of my neighbourhood watch that is, the FBI, the French Bay Interceptors.
We go to one house for pre meal drinks and snacks, next house for next house for soups( my famous French CDN ham and pea soup,next house for mains, next house for deserts, next house for cigars and scotch and chocolate.
This way nobody get stuck with all the dishes and everybody gets to see everone elses mansion!
Great night out!

Love potlucks & dinner parties. Most all of them are coordinated and communally contributed. There aren't many people or couples I know who have the kitchen chops to pull one off solo.

I don't know how to do this anymore.

I'm sure I've asked before, but I am curious.

How many people are actually offended by getting a "potluck" invitation.

My friends love to cook, but actually love to come to my house for some reason. So I scrub up and host, make the main dish, put out requests, and they do the rest.

One friend actually thought it was tacky for me to ask people to bring things to a party (she didn't think it was too tacky, she always brings food).

Is anyone out there actually offended by an invitation that says "bring something .... " I often do theme dinners... as in, I'm making halupke, bring something eastern European.

I'm just curious as to how many people entertain this way.

I actually had to look up "Potluck" as I've never been to, or been invited to same. By definition "Potluck" means everyone brings a dish. If a "friend" called me tacky, he or she is not a friend - or like myself, doesen't know the definition

I would not be offended if invited to a potluck. I have brought dishes to gatherings. I hope you wont be offended, but I'm not a big fan of casserole dishes. They are okay at Thanksgiving. My main concerns are - transporting cooked dishes, leaving them out for periods of time, and not being held or transported at the proper temperature. People can get sick.

Last edited:
We do potlucks for our rehab department about once every two months. On the plus side since I am in a rehab setting we have a stove, oven, refrig/ freezer and microwave. There are 13 of us and easy to coordinate. :)

Is anyone out there actually offended by an invitation that says "bring something .... " I often do theme dinners... as in, I'm making halupke, bring something eastern European.

I'm just curious as to how many people entertain this way.

No, I just tell my friends to bring what they want to drink. I can afford to feed them but not their drinking consumption. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For years when I was married, there was a large dinner group in the neighborhood that did recipe specific pot luck. The menu was themed and predetermined. Recipes were passed out, and exchanged if one was not confident with their item.

The parties went over very well, and the host did not have to cook for the 30 or so. We had fold up tables and a sit down dinner.

Back
Top Bottom