Overdue frozen duck - is it dangerous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dpmusic

Assistant Cook
We just bought a frozen duck at the store a few days ago to roast. Now I've defrosted it and see that the sell-by date was last April! Is it dangerous to go ahead and roast and eat anyway? It's been frozen all this time...

Thanks!

If it was frozen by the Sell-By Date and kept frozen, it should be fine. Duck usually comes in a sealed heavy plastic wrapper like a turkey. That protects it from freezer burn.

If you froze it a day before the SB Date then you should cook it right away. Don't leave it in the fridge for days.

I would return it. If it was sold so many months AFTER the sell-by date, then the store should either give you a refund, or the opportunity to get another duck. I don't really care that it was frozen. Do you know when it was frozen??? probably not.

We just bought a frozen duck at the store a few days ago to roast. Now I've defrosted it and see that the sell-by date was last April! Is it dangerous to go ahead and roast and eat anyway? It's been frozen all this time...

Thanks!

Sorry! I misread your post. I agree with Wyogal.

You have no idea under what conditions the duck was kept.

Over here they could get prosecuted for even offering it up for sale. Take it back and if they don't accept it, complain to the appropriate regulating body in your city.

Return it definitely! You never know if it was kept frozen the whole time it was at the store. They do occasionally have problems with their freezers and coolers not regulation their temps properly. I went to a grand opening for a local grocery store just 3 weeks ago because they were advertising frozen whole turkey breast at a ridiculously low price. The open top freezer was stacked above the line and everyone of those turkey breast were way too soft to the touch.

I would return it. Besides the safety issues it may have started to deteriorate from being frozen for so long.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom