Oyster sauce is years old--still good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
the problem is I rarely use oyster sauce so when I buy a whole bottle for one recipe the rest sits in the frig for ages. I hate to buy a whole new bottle for every recipe. I am sure many of you experience the same thing.

A lot of prepared sauces ( oyster, soy, fish sauce, teryaki, etc) will last for years. I´ve just used up the last drops of a bottle of fish sauce I bought in 2015. No problem, as long as you TASTE it before you use it. You´re not going to poison yourself with a lick, but you WILL be able to determine whether it tastes funny or rotten or metallic - in which case, get rid of it.

I agree, it's probably fine. It's fermented and salty, both of which are preservatives.

Do you make Chinese or Japanese food much? I have a simple recipe for a sauce made with oyster sauce that makes a great side dish for dumplings, etc. Let me know if you would me to post it.

I read that it does last a very long time in the fridge. I used some the other day. It has been in my fridge for a few years. It seemed fine and we felt and feel fine afterwards.

I have kept my oyster sauce and kecap manis in the fridge for years, with no problems. I used to use it more, when Chinese was the only Asian cuisine I cooked, so I didn't even refrigerate it, and it lasted until I finished it, but I started refrigerating it, when I wasn't using it as often. Last time I got it, I got a smaller bottle, which I never used to do!

I agree, it's probably fine. It's fermented and salty, both of which are preservatives.

Do you make Chinese or Japanese food much? I have a simple recipe for a sauce made with oyster sauce that makes a great side dish for dumplings, etc. Let me know if you would me to post it.
I would love the recipe GG. TIA

That is why I only buy small bottles of those items, which I buy at the 99¢ Only store or at Cost Plus World Market.

Back
Top Bottom