Pan usage issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PansandProblems

Assistant Cook
Hello.

We're currently working on a school project and it requires us to document that the issue we're working with is real. Therefore we've created a small survey and we'd be grateful if you'd take a few minutes of your time to answer it.

Thank you.

-------------------

• Do you regularly use a pan?
  • When using the pan, have you been hit by splashes of boiling fat?
  • When moving food from the pan to another storage media (e.g. a plate), have you experienced that the food sometimes tends to go over the edge of the pan and onto the table?
  • Would you like to somehow see these problems solved?
  • Would you like a possible solution to be dynamic, static or something else?

Ok - I'll respond -

1. yes, I regularly use a pan to cook (cast-iron)
2. yes, I get hit with hot oil (fat) when cooking.
3. I haven't really had issues with moving food from the pan to other container. I usually use a spatula to lift it out rather than pour from the pan.
4. these issues don't really bother me so I'm not currently looking for a solution.
5. n/a

good luck with your project :)

-------------------

• Do you regularly use a pan? YES
  • When using the pan, have you been hit by splashes of boiling fat? Its very unsafe to actually boil fat on your home stove as it can catch fire. I think anyone who has cooked more than a few times in their life has been hit with hot liquid. But it's really not a concern and is easily avoided.
  • When moving food from the pan to another storage media (e.g. a plate), have you experienced that the food sometimes tends to go over the edge of the pan and onto the table? No. That's what serving utensils are for. I am also adept at pouring from a pan without problems. Also, many pans already come with a pouring lip.
  • Would you like to somehow see these problems solved? No. Sorry
  • Would you like a possible solution to be dynamic, static or something else? I don't see it as a problem for even a semi-experienced cook.

• Do you regularly use a pan? YES
  • When using the pan, have you been hit by splashes of boiling fat? Its very unsafe to actually boil fat on your home stove as it can catch fire. I think anyone who has cooked more than a few times in their life has been hit with hot liquid. But it's really not a concern and is easily avoided.
  • When moving food from the pan to another storage media (e.g. a plate), have you experienced that the food sometimes tends to go over the edge of the pan and onto the table? No. That's what serving utensils are for. I am also adept at pouring from a pan without problems.
  • Would you like to somehow see these problems solved? No. Sorry
  • Would you like a possible solution to be dynamic, static or something else? I don't see it as a problem for even a semi-experienced cook.

Do you regularly use a pan?
Yes.

When using the pan, have you been hit by splashes of boiling fat?
Only if I make the mistake of putting something too wet into hot oil. It's never the pan's fault--just the chef's.

When moving food from the pan to another storage media (e.g. a plate), have you experienced that the food sometimes tends to go over the edge of the pan and onto the table?
Not one time, ever, has this happened. Food coming out of a pan is removed with a spatula, tongs, spoon, or something similar and placed on a plate. Pouring food from a pan directly onto a plate sounds like bad policy. You'd end up with cooking oil all over your plate and sloppy presentation.

Would you like to somehow see these problems solved?
They really aren't problems.

Would you like a possible solution to be dynamic, static or something else?
See previous answer.

:chef:

Hello.

We're currently working on a school project and it requires us to document that the issue we're working with is real. Therefore we've created a small survey and we'd be grateful if you'd take a few minutes of your time to answer it.

Thank you.

-------------------

• Do you regularly use a pan?
  • Yes
  • When using the pan, have you been hit by splashes of boiling fat?
  • I wouldn't exacly call it boiling or a "splash", but yes, I have been splattered on
  • When moving food from the pan to another storage media (e.g. a plate), have you experienced that the food sometimes tends to go over the edge of the pan and onto the table?
  • Yes, the food goes over the edge of the pan every time it is lifted out, usually onto the plate though... which is on the table
  • Would you like to somehow see these problems solved?
  • Problems?
  • Would you like a possible solution to be dynamic, static or something else?
  • Solution to?

BTW, what issue are you working on for your school project?

• Do you regularly use a pan? Yes
  • When using the pan, have you been hit by splashes of boiling fat? Only when cooking certain foods, such as bacon and fried chicken
  • When moving food from the pan to another storage media (e.g. a plate), have you experienced that the food sometimes tends to go over the edge of the pan and onto the table? Yes, it happens all the time and I have to be slow and careful when transferring.
  • Would you like to somehow see these problems solved? Not in a way that requires additional kitchen gadgets, such as the advertised "meatloaf holder" that's clearly a rip-off invention with no other culinary use, thus becoming a single tasker
  • Would you like a possible solution to be dynamic, static or something else? For oil splashes there's already a solution which is a splash screen, it may reduce the amount of splashes, but I still get splashed even when behind it. I doubt there's an easy way to completely remove the splashes. For transferring, I don't need a solution since all I need to do is to be more careful.

Last edited:
By the way, for the oil splash problem, a chef I knew used to give us this solution: join the club! lol

the solution to the problem (which isn't one btw) already exists. Use the correct pan for the cooking job at hand. Learn to handle the food correctly.

I am inclined to agree with all of the answers above. They all are pretty much the same answers. A pan is a tool, and just like any tool, one needs to learn its proper use. While I tend to use cast iron for most cooking, there are times when stainless pans in various configurations are better suited.

Back
Top Bottom