Pancake batter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
Hi all!

Tomorrow we have a nice day trip to a waterpark. I want to make pancakes for breakfast. Can I make the batter tonight and then cook them in the morning?

Also, anyone have any really good recipes for pancakes? I just use the one out of my Better Homes and Garden's cook book!

I suspect that it will get thick overnight and yuo'll have to thin it with milk to get the right consistency and your pancakes might not rise as high as usual. You could mix all the dry ingredients and in a separate bowl mix the wet ones and combine in the morning, or just make them tonight and reheat in the morning.

Most pancake batter is a "quick" mix. You mix it and the leavening is activated with the liquid and then activated again with the heat of the griddle. There is no "good" to mixing it the night before unless it is a sourdough or such.
I think commercial pancake mixes are quite good. if you want to use yuour recipe, mix the dry ingredients and add liquids in the morning.

Hey Angie, why don't you mix all the dry ingredients together and then set it aside til you are ready? Thats what I do. Just have it all premeasured and then dump the wet into the dry and away we go.

Good ideas everyone. Thanks. I'll get the ingredients ready to go and mix the wet/dry in the morning!!!

Gretchen said:
I think I hear an echo.

Sorry Gretchen, didn't read your post before I started typing. Hope your comment was an ironic/humorous one and not snarky as I certainly didn't intend to upset you. Dang its hard to know without seeing someone's face isn't it?

Well, either way around it, the buttermilk/egg/oil mixture is in the fridge and the rest is on the counter waiting for the morning!

Thanks again!

Best Buttermilk Pancakes

This is the best I've found. It's easily doubled or tripled. I would not make it the night before as the reaction between the buttermilk and the baking soda, which is what makes the batter light and fluffy, might be lost. In any case, this takes about 5 minutes to put together. You could measure out and mix the dry ingredients in advance -- the rest is a snap.

[FONT=Arial,BoldItalic]BUTTERMILK PANCAKES[/FONT]

1 egg
¾ cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted butter (cooled)
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup flour
½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries (optional)

1. Beat egg in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended.

2. Add buttermilk and mix well

3. Add melted butter and mix well.

4. Add sugar and salt and mix well.

5. Add baking soda and mix until just blended in.

6. Add flour and mix until just blended in; batter will be lumpy.

7. If batter seems rather thick, add a little buttermilk to thin it.

8. Add blueberries, if using.

9. Heat griddle or large frying pan over moderate heat, and grease lightly.

10. Use about ¼ cup of batter for each pancake, turning once only.

Serve with warm maple syrup.

Makes about 8 pancakes.

Oatmeal Apple Pancakes

Servings: 4-5 medium size pancakes

2 egg
1 c milk
1 T oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 T apple sauce
3/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 T brown sugar
2 T dry oatmeal
2 T chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
butter

Topping: sliced Granny Smith fried apples or your favorite syrup

Preheat skillet on medium-low heat. Mix first 5 ingredients until well blended. Sift all the dry ingredients except brown sugar and oatmeal and gently whisk into egg/milk mixture. Add brown sugar, oatmeal and nuts and mix (DO NOT OVERMIX). Add 1 teaspoon butter to skillet and spread evenly. Drop half of the pancake batter into skillet, wait about a minute till batter bubbles, turn pancake and cook another minute or so. Repeat till all batter is used. Top with fried apples or your favorite syrup. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom