Pancake recipe in progress.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
2 Cups Flour
2 Tbsp Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1-2 Cup Milk
2 Eggs
1 Tbsp Butter

I tried this recipe with 1 Cup milk but it had consistency of oatmeal so I added more without measuring (my bad). Probably was a little thin afterwards but did create pancakes. However they were light and didn't brown easy or rise well and were a little too dense. Need more butter or what would help?

Add 1/4 tsp of baking soda to aid in browning and rising. After combining all the ingredients, let the batter sit for 20 to 30 minutes for the ingredients to get acquainted.

Here is my easy, light and fluffy recipe:

1 cup flour
1.5 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
.5 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1oz vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl.

In a second bowl whisk together first egg and oil, then add milk and vanilla.

Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just until lumpy (do not overmix). Let sit ten minutes before cooking.

Yes, I did let it rest 30 minutes. Do you really think adding 1/4 tsp baking powder will help the 2tsp already there? It stays very pale.

Yes, I did let it rest 30 minutes. Do you really think adding 1/4 tsp baking powder will help the 2tsp already there? It stays very pale.
Not 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda. Baking soda raises the pH and makes lots of things brown better.

Almost all of the pancake recipes I have call for using BUTTERMILK. They say it makes a big difference, makes them nice and fluffy.

Suoer fluffy, super moist, super tasty. Feel free to add fresh blueberries, M&M's, corn kernals, whatever suits your fancy.

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Double Acting Baking Powder

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil

Mix the wert & dry ingredients in separate bowls; then combine into a batter. Make sure to leave small lumps.

Cook over medium heat until bubbles begin to pop on top. Flip an cook until golden brown. eve fresh with your favorite pancake topping. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chidf Longwind of the North

I tried the following today:

2 Cup flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp salt
0.25 tsp baking soda

1.5 Cup Milk
2 Eggs
1 Tbsp butter
0.25 tsp vanilla extract

Mix and set for 30 minutes.

They came out great as far as fluffy and flavor but are a little too hard to press through with a fork. Too rubbery. Any suggestions?

They came out great as far as fluffy and flavor but are a little too hard to press through with a fork. Too rubbery. Any suggestions?
I'm curious about why you seem to want to reinvent the wheel. There are many tried-and-true recipes for pancakes, including the one the Chief posted above. Why do you want keep trying to make up your own?

I want a recipe with few enough ingredients that is as good a store bought mixes. Just subtle changes. And I like my recipes to be kind of original.

The water test is done by dripping a drop of water on the hot pan or griddle. If it dances, the temperature is right. If it just sits there with little bubbles or just sizzles a bit, the pan isn't hot enough. If it vanishes in a puff of steam, the pan is too hot. It should dance around for several seconds as it evaporates.

Interesting. I will try that next time. I think I got best results on range level 5 which is basically a shade above medium heat.

The recipe I posted is better than boxed mixes, and can be modified to male it your own by adding flavor extracts such ass vanilla, almond, or whatever suits you taste. You can add cinnamon, diced apple, blueberries, various chopped nuts, pumpkin, use melted butter, or bacon/sausage grease instead of cooking oil, etc.

Plus, if you use a little more flour, and sweetener, you have muffin batter. You can replace 1/3 of the all-purpose flour with buckwheat flour, or use whole whet flour. If you add another 1/4 cup of milk, it makes great waffle batter. I've even been known to replace the oil with pumpkin puree, or apple sauce, with the appropriate spices to make delectable fruity pancakes and/or waffles.

The point is, the original recipe has the correct ratios of flour, fat, eggs, leavening agent, and milk to create really great pancakes. How you modify it to make it into everything from muffins, to cake, to waffles, even biscuits is up to you.I'm not posting to toot my own horn, but rather to share wat I've learned from 50 years of cooking, so that you don't have to struggle as I once did.

You can even change the leavening agents and use baking soda and buttermilk to create the Co2 bubbles that make the pancakes rise, or use baking soda and cream of tartar to make your own baking powder. The important aspect of any quick breads is the fat, liquid, flour ratios. everything else is variable. Oh, and just so you know, pork fat has less cholesterol than does butter. So if you enjoy the flavors of bacon, or sausage, you can use the rendered grease from cooking these items in place of cooking oil, or butter in the batter.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom