Pantry Needs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beached

Assistant Cook
Hey, I am planning on moving into my own appartment come this fall and after living with the parents for 21 years, my cooking supplies have always been provided for me whenever i wanted to cook somthing. I have run into a delema however, i will not be able to run to the store at whim in order to get those few ingrediants missing for a recipie like i always have been. I am hoping to get some help with my pantry to be.

What are the items that I will need to keep in order to be able to cook just about any recipie I may find. (I am a big fan of asian foods too)

Thank you in advance for any help :)

Hey, I am planning on moving into my own appartment come this fall and after living with the parents for 21 years, my cooking supplies have always been provided for me whenever i wanted to cook somthing. I have run into a delema however, i will not be able to run to the store at whim in order to get those few ingrediants missing for a recipie like i always have been. I am hoping to get some help with my pantry to be.

What are the items that I will need to keep in order to be able to cook just about any recipie I may find. (I am a big fan of asian foods too)

Thank you in advance for any help :)

It's difficult for a stranger who knows little about you or your cooking habits to tell you what to stock in your pantry.

What I recommend is that when you prepare to shop for meals you look over recipes and list the items you need to make them. Some of those items will be perishable and will be used for one dish and be gone.

Other items will be spices, seasonings mixes, sauces , etc that you will buy in quantities greater than can be used in one recipe. These items will build your pantry over time with the ingredients that you actually use.

So if you like Asian dishes, you will probably have things like soy sauce and fish sauce on hand. There could be Thai curries or dried chilies, hoisin sauce or ketjap manis.

The rest is up to you to decide. Base your purchases on your needs.

I do not wish to have certain meals to cook over and over again, I often browse the internet until i find a recipe that sounds good. I forgot about perishable foods being a problem so limit the list to food that can be kept for at least 3 weeks.
Do to editing restrictions I am unable to keep a list of items on here Like I wished too.
so here is the list I have started with. and i will keep adding to the list.

Fruits:
Frozen Strawberries
Frozen Bluebarries
*Can you freeze apples and have them still be good for cooking?

Veggies:
Beans (Of a few varieties)
Carrots
Corn
Mushrooms
Onions
Potatoes
Tomatoes

Fish:
*Allergic to the preservitive for fish so fish dishes will be out
*Can only eat freshly caught fish

Meats:
Bacon
Beef (Ground)
Chicken Breasts
Steaks (Pork Steaks, Beef Steaks)
Turkey Breasts
*Where do i get Duck? I love it at restoraunts

Basics:
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Bread
Bread Crumbs
Butter
Chocolate
Eggs
Flour
Lemon Juice
Soy Sauce
Sugar
Vanilla Extract
Yeast

Spices:
All SPice
Basil
Celery Salt
Chives
Chillie Powder
Cinnamon
Cloves
Curry
Garlic
Ginger
Nutmeg
Onion Salt
Pepper
Sage
Salt
Wassabi

You seem to be pretty up on what you'll need to keep on hand, so I'm confused as to what help you're looking to get here.

As far as where to get duck, you buy it wherever you get the rest of your meat. Most supermarkets sell it whole, but recently a number of them have started to carry legs & breasts separately (although at a much higher price).

Fresh garlic is a must! - plus fresh ginger. Also, assorted bell peppers - you can slice and freeze them for longer storage.

For spices/dried herbs, I'd add cumin powder, cumin seeds, smoked paprika, garam masala, red chili flakes, oregano, fines herbes, herbes de Provence...

Other additions:
Cocoa powder (both Dutched and natural)
Instant espresso powder
Hot sauce
Canned tomatoes
Olives
Assorted cheeses
Pasta
Extra virgin olive oil
Rice
Low sodium chicken broth
Peanut butter
Mustard
Mayonnaise
Vinegar
Nuts

As Andy said, it really depends on what you will be cooking and only you can answer that. The list you have already seems like a good starting point. Because I am a different person I would have a different list than you as we have different tastes. There really is not one list that will work for everyone.

Look through some cookbooks and notice which recipes catch your eye. notice which ingredients are in more than one of those recipes. Start jotting those down. You will probably see a pattern develop pretty quickly.

And don't think that Slobodomo AK47 talks for the rest of the members here. I found his post rude and uncalled for and not indicative of the type of response you would normally get here. Welcome to the site!

There are free printable grocery lists available - just google them- and check what you need from the recipes you will be using. Easy as pie.

gb, i am confused, i don't see a post from slobodomo ak47. i checked his stats and say no posts, no threads. tis a mystery.

beach, keep in mind sweetie all those spices , etc are going to be very expensive. you made have to buy them piece meal instead of all at once. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom