Pantry stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ramydam said:
Fortunately there is a little market just four blocks away that sells bulk spices, but your lists have been very helpful in getting me started on an "essential" list!

Oh, and I see lots of thyme one here: I have a big gorgeous pot of fresh thyme, simply because I liked the smell and it was on sale at the garden center, but aside from chopping into an omelet, I've never used it. Suggestion? :chef:
Thyme goes really well with anything you use tomatoes in. It is good on beef too.

:) Barbara

ramydam said:
Oh, and I see lots of thyme one here: I have a big gorgeous pot of fresh thyme, simply because I liked the smell and it was on sale at the garden center, but aside from chopping into an omelet, I've never used it. Suggestion? :chef:

For me, Thyme and Poultry were made for each other. Whenever I make a Chicken soup, Roast Chicken, or Roast Turkey, I always make sure to have Thyme as one of the base herbs seasoning the dish. I also use Thyme in my Clam Chowder, along with Tarragon, which gives a GREAT flavor.

As for essentials in my kitchen:

Kosher salt
Black peppercorns
Fresh Garlic

after those three, it all depends on what I want to cook today.

Lots of interesting spices (herbs and seasonings) listed here. Your pantry should be filled with those spices you cook with most. As you try new recipes, you'll have to buy some new spices to make them. These slowly build up a pantry full of spices you can use over and over.

You pantry contents are personal choices based on what you like and use.

jkath said:
ramydam:

I've noticed that if you look at the prices in the spice section (where spices are sold in jars), and then check the prices in the "ethnic spice section" (where spices are sold in plastic bags), there is a huge price difference. Very often I can buy spices for 1/2 price if I get it in the plastic bag. (I keep my older jars and refill and date as needed)

jkath - that is exactly what I do - the difference in cumin is amazing when you buy it at an ethnic grocery store - VERY affordable - along with Mexican Oregano, and many others.

Thyme is good on chicken for starters. Or a chicken stew with thyme dumplings.

Thyme
Garlic
Basil
Tarragon (excellent with chicken and forgotten a lot of times)
Some kind of blend - whether it's Emeril's spice blend or Kansas City Seasoning

Last edited:
I have the same problem i built up a good selection of herbs and spices after living with my sister but since i've finished uni and moved i had to start again. I bought one a week until i had all the ones i use regularly and they are cheaper in the packets than in the jars (unless you have to buy jars to put the packets in) and i also grow parsley, chives etc. in my garden.

Back
Top Bottom