Pantry stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramydam

Cook
Wow, it's been a while since I've been here!
I am in a new apartment and have nearly empty shelves at the moment. I am getting heartily sick of chicken seasoned only with salt and pepper, but I can't afford to go out and buy every spice that takes my fancy. Hence, my question for all of you:
What is the one spice or seasoning you can't live without? (Or top five :chef: )

There's lots of seasonings I use a lot, but the following are five that I use very frequently and in a wide variety of dishes:

1. Montreal Seasoning or Tone's Canadian Steak Seasoning (basically the same but diff brands).

2. Paul Prudhommes Poultry Magic or BBQ Magic.

3. Granulated Onion.

4. Garlic Powder or Garlic Salt.

5. Black Pepper.

thyme - oregeno - basil - garlic - cayene pepper- onion powder and a jar of emerils' bam which you can make yourself instead of buying it.

Bam Seasoning
3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional if not into spicey)
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine with a wooden spoon.

Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.

Yield: about 3/4 cup

It depends on what I'm actually cooking, and the time of year. During the summer, I don't really use many seasonings, as I only cook a couple times a week, and it's usually on the grill.

I actually have quite an extensive selection of spices and herbs, mainly because I am a cook, and can use a wide variety. However, I find myself using the following most:

Garlic (usually the canned, minced, stuff, kept in the fridge, although I also use powdered)
Thyme
Sage
Tarragon
Paprika
My own Mexican seasoning mix
Prudhomme's basic Blackened Seasoning mix, which I mix myself
BBQ Seasoning rub, again, I mix this myself

I'm debating on working on my own poultry seasoning blend again, as most of the herbs and spices that I use are for chicken

This year, I'm growing my own sage and thyme. They are taking off! I may even start using some, just to get back into using fresh herbs again. Otherwise, I'm just going to wait until fall, harvest them, and store them over the winter.

Well, I have three cupboard shelves absolutely crammed with just about every type of herb/spice imaginable, plus a rotating herb-holder thingy on my counter for the most-used ones....but the ones I use the most are:

Minced Garlic (the 'fresh' type in a jar),
Minced Ginger (again, the 'fresh' type in a jar).
Mixed Italian Herbs.
Herbs de Provence,
Rosemary.
Curry powder,
Garam Masala.

Last edited:
Tone's Garlic/Herb Seasoning
Bayou Blast (Emeril's Stuff)
Packets of Taco Seasoning
Packets of Italian Dressing Mix
Packets of Onion Soup Mix
Packets of Ranch Dressing mix
cumin
chili powder
cayenne pepper
ground ginger
granulated garlic
paprika
cinnamon
Coleman's mustard powder
dill weed
sage
thyme
Coarse salt
Restaurant grind pepper
whole nutmeg
I keep a jar of minced garlic in olive oil in the fridge...
same with chopped ginger...
and packets of frozen parsley and basil in the freezer.

I have jars and jars of other things that I use once in a while, like mixed pickling spice, tarragon, Chinese 5 spice powder, etc.

Last edited:
I really find I go through phases with certain herbs and spices, for example this summer has been the "summer of thyme". My list this week :mrgreen: would be:

-Lemon pepper
-Ginger
-Oregano
-Basil
-Cinnamon
-sage (ground)
-Black peppercorns
-Maldon sea salt

I know that spices/herbs can be pricey, but if your local grocery store has a bulk section you may be able to get smaller quantities at lower prices, or ask a friend or two if they'd like to go to a warehouse-store type place (which are also often cheaper in the long run, aka price per/gram) and all chip in on spices which you'd divide between yourselves.

p.s.
It really doens't count but I find honey to indispensable in the kitchen for seasoning.

Do you have a bulk food store near you, that sells bulk spices? You can pick up small amounts of spices, which are fresher for a fraction of the cost.

Some of the most important to me are garlic, black pepper, cinnamon, and thyme.

It just about takes a bank loan to buy all your spices at once, so I would suggest buying a few at a time, starting with your favorites.

:) Barbara

Fortunately there is a little market just four blocks away that sells bulk spices, but your lists have been very helpful in getting me started on an "essential" list!

Oh, and I see lots of thyme one here: I have a big gorgeous pot of fresh thyme, simply because I liked the smell and it was on sale at the garden center, but aside from chopping into an omelet, I've never used it. Suggestion? :chef:

Last edited:
Assuming you have S&P, and perhaps some form of chile (name your poison-- hot sauces, ground cayenne, flakes, whichever you're most likely to use the most), I'd say the next two would be Cavender's Greek (has sage, oregano, and garlic) and Lawrey's (a childhood comfort food basic) as far as blends go. The Montreal chicken seasoning mentioned before tastes a lot like the Cavender's, a little chunkier. For pure herbs, a must for me is sage, but in reality, Cavender's will provide enough sage for most purposes. If you make a lot of tomato sauce, you'll want some dried oregano. To me there are a few herbs not worth buying dried, period: basil, mint, parsley. I'm not a "super taster" and to me they don't taste, period.

ramydam:

I've noticed that if you look at the prices in the spice section (where spices are sold in jars), and then check the prices in the "ethnic spice section" (where spices are sold in plastic bags), there is a huge price difference. Very often I can buy spices for 1/2 price if I get it in the plastic bag. (I keep my older jars and refill and date as needed)

We frequently use a Greek seasoning called Cavender's (with a low-sodium version, too). It's made in Harrison, Arkansas, (yeah, right, where all the Greek population hangs out) and just goes on or in about everything. Not very expensive, by comparison, either.

The price of spice is awful. A few times we've talked ourselves out of some essentials because of that. So, thanks, JKath for the tip - we'll check out the bagged section next trip.

Not a problem!

Also, spices online can save money as well.
I forgot to mention my favorite of favorites!
I put it on my beef and chicken before I grill them - I LOVE it!
Here it is:
mesquitetop.gif

http://oldewestportspice.com/mesquite.php

Garlic FOR SURE! Thyme, cumin and black pepper or chili powder.
If I had to have an all purpose blend, I like "Joes Hot Stuff".

You should also search out where you can buy herbs by weight instead of the 3, 4 sometimes 7 dollar an ounce shelf spices, like McCormick. I buy bulk herbs from co-ops, health food stores, sometimes Wholefoods. You can buy a little and they will be much cheaper.

I also keep a pretty wide selection of pastas and rice to go with my garlic ;-)

bryan

salt and pepper (of course)
onion powder
garlic (any works for me)
montreal steak seasoning
basil
oregano
cinnamon
nutmeg

Back
Top Bottom