"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Parchment Paper in Glassware?

Do people use parchment paper in glassware? I feel like I've seen people use parchment paper mostly for metal baking pans...

Learning2Cook45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

I rarely use parchment paper because I try to minimize the use of disposable materials in the kitchen. I use silicone mats or baking spray if I need to.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You don't hear much about parchment in glass pans because of what you typically cook in them. Baked goods are usually cooked on/in metal pans and are delicate enough that manhandling them to get them unstuck could result in disaster.

I see no reason to avoid using parchment in glass.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks Andy!

So if I wanted to make roasted veggies in a glass dish, would you recommend just cooking them on the dish itself, on foil, parchment, etc.?
Learning2Cook45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning2Cook45 View Post
Thanks Andy!

So if I wanted to make roasted veggies in a glass dish, would you recommend just cooking them on the dish itself, on foil, parchment, etc.?
I use a silicone mat when I roast vegis. I have used parchment in the past, but you have to make sure that the heat tolerance of the parchment paper you have is high enough for the temperature you will use to roast the vegis. It should say on the box. I was getting some very dark, fragile parts to the parchment I was using. I hadn't known to read the "for use up to ..." temperature on the box.

I am an absolute stickler for getting every last, little, brown spot off my glass bake ware. Since the vegis are usually tossed in oil before roasting, oil gets on the glass and makes those little brown spots. I use a damp rag and baking soda to scrub them off, but it's much easier not to have that task.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I roast veggie on half or quarter sheet pan (aluminum). I line it with foil and oil it.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I use a silicone mat when I roast vegis. I have used parchment in the past, but you have to make sure that the heat tolerance of the parchment paper you have is high enough for the temperature you will use to roast the vegis. It should say on the box. I was getting some very dark, fragile parts to the parchment I was using. I hadn't known to read the "for use up to ..." temperature on the box.

I am an absolute stickler for getting every last, little, brown spot off my glass bake ware. Since the vegis are usually tossed in oil before roasting, oil gets on the glass and makes those little brown spots. I use a damp rag and baking soda to scrub them off, but it's much easier not to have that task.

Good to know I'm not alone with my quirk about pristine glass bake ware.
Some "off brands" for Pam are often responsible I think. I know it's not good for the environment but I'm guilty of often using foil in my glass pans.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Good to know I'm not alone with my quirk about pristine glass bake ware.
Some "off brands" for Pam are often responsible I think. I know it's not good for the environment but I'm guilty of often using foil in my glass pans.

Any kind of oil can make those spots. I don't use cooking spray and I still get them. I think they happen most when the oil is exposed to air while it is being heated in the oven.