Party this weekend! Did I get everything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I am having a backyard coming out party this weekend to show off my newly landscaped (by me) back yard and larger patio. I have been going from sunrise to sunset for several weeks trying to finish it. Finally done and I am beat!

I have about 20-30 guests and plan on a Mexican BBQ.

This is my menu so far;

Birria= slow cooked goat in enchilada sauce
2 different kinds of Carne Asada
Grilled chicken
Tofu stir fried with some Mexican spices

The above proteins are for Taco's you can make yourself.
I am chopping some onion and cilantro for garnish and plan on having some Quacomole and creme for the girls.

I am also serving chips and several different salsas for munchies and spanish rice and beans to go with dinner.
I also included some salty/spicy/crumbly Mexican cheese called Enchilado to sprinkle on whatever.

Beverages are sodas,Caronas,Clementine margaritas,Sangria and Arnold Palmers.

I could use some dessert help and any other suggestions. I think my SIL will bring a salad.

I have some zuccini that I could saute or make another salad with.

A melon salad if anyone has one other than watermelon would be a welcome recipe too.(honeydew and mint?)

Am I invited? (slobber)

I like everything about it!!

You might want some lettuce and/or some other stuff for garnish like olives, tomatoes, hearts of palm, scallions, etc. Not because it's needed or traditional but because it's a make-it-yourself party.

And I'd provide a few interesting bottled sauces too.

Congrats on all your work! It'll be a great party!

Last edited:
This is a great melon salad:
MELONS WITH GINGER SYRUP
Melons with Ginger Syrup - Fine Cooking Recipes, Techniques and Tips

Some other dessert ideas:
Tres Leches Cake, Flan, Churros, Chocolate Chipotle Brownies...

Also... MEXICAN CHOCOLATE ICEBOX CAKE - not authentic Mexican, but freakin' fantastic. (I chill it overnight, and serve it at a cool room temperature, rather than cold - the mousse-like filling is creamier):
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/101955

From my to-try list:
CINNAMON-GRILLED BANANAS WITH MEXICAN CHOCOLATE
Cinnamon-Grilled Bananas With Mexican Chocolate Recipe - Food.com - 235831

Last edited:
why is guacamole and creme only for girls?

i love guac and sour cream in tacos.

i agree with jenny about having extra hot sauces. maybe more cheeses, like habanero cheddar, or jalapeno jack?

what about making a reverse mexican (ain't that a new one) prosciutto e meloni by mincing prosciutto and mixing it with cubed or balled melons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been known to travel for a good meal, I could be the Welsh Mariachi man Llewelyn ap Maracas, my Pantalones and cummerbund await your invite;)
I hope you have a splendid weekend.

Somewhere on here is a recipe for tres leche flan. Dina posted it and she is as authentic as it gets! You could do churros too. Just a little something sweet for later.

Your meal sounds amazing and I hope it all goes well. Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies!

The mariachi sounds great but I am not sure I can afford that much tequila.

More cheeses and some tomatoes will def make the list.
I also like the grilled banana idea alot.

I have a pretty good selection of hot sauces and salsas.

@ Buckytom.....your gaydar is fine. You are from Jersey.
You can put whatever you want on yours ...Fugetaboutit!
I should have said my girls! Chorizo and melon might work well together.

I make a frosted melon salad you can use cantaloupe,casaba,or honeydew
Cream togehether 1 pack of 8oz cream cheese @ tab. milk til smooth and fluffy, Set aside. Remove the rind from your melon and cut a little from one end so melon wil stand up now cut 2 inches from other end. Scoop out seeds. Fill with1 cup of fruits you like, such as grapes cut in half, banana slices apple slices,strawberries all cut into bite sized pieces now frost the outside of the melon with the cream cheese mix and then press 1/4 cup of shredded coconut into the frosting on melon.Refrigerate when ready to serve cut your melon into 6 wedges and place the a salad plate with some of the fruit from inside top withremaining fruit and serve with sesame seed dressing. For the dressing 2 tea.powdered sugar1/2 tea paprika 1/2 tea of dry mustard,1/2 tea salt, 1/2 cup melted currant jelly, 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice,1tab.cider vinegar.1 cup salad oil and 1 tab. toasted sesame seed. mix well keep refrigerated.
kades:)

Carnitas maybe? Nothing says taco better than pork simmered in pork fat! A little Xnipec (pronounced Schnee Pic, which is Nahuatl for Dog's Nose Salsa) to really heat things up!:wacko:

Juice of 4 limes
1 red onion diced
4 habanero chiles, stemed, seeded and diced
1 tomato diced
2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
salt to taste

Soak onion in lime juice for at least 30 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and salt to taste.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom