Pasta linked to lower BMI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
According to

Pasta linked to lower BMI - CNN.com

"A little bit of what's irresistible is good for you, Italian scientists have discovered. Their analysis of more than 23,000 people found that eating some pasta is associated with a lower body mass index. Those who enjoyed their noodles were less likely to be overweight and obese."

More evidence supporting the Mediterranean diet.

It's not that I don't believe them.....but I'm pretty sure my excess body weight is made of pasta.

From the article:

"A little bit of what's irresistible is good for you..."

A little bit.... :( And therein lies my downfall.
I feel your pain.

The article says 1 Cup of cooked pasta. Here's one cup:
1cup.jpg

sigh...

:LOL: larry!

I think it depends on how rich that 1/2 cup of ice cream is, Andy. Pasta is pasta, but Graeter's is unbelievably rich. Like hand-made-from-scratch rich. Like "I"m gonna need to diet for a month after I finish this pint" rich. When I bought the first pint, I did the 1/2 cup serving thing, four servings to the pint. For the next pint, it took Himself and me six servings to finish it. It's that good.

He didn't like the Salted Caramel one I got recently. It was all mine - so I did one soup spoon scoop of it every time I wanted ice cream. Even at a spoonful every night, it took me almost two weeks to finish it. It's. That. Rich. :yum:

Now pasta? Except for shape and white flour/whole wheat flour thing, it's pretty much just pasta. Not that I'm complaining!

Hmmmm, ITALIAN scientists and pasta. I think I'd more evidence from other sources.

It is recommended that you follow the Mediterranean diet accordion to the CNN report this morning. I didn't see that in this report. I don't think the whole report was included in this reference. Part of that diet includes wine with every evening meal. So for alcoholics and those folks who don't drink, that is not a recommendation.

Also not taken into consideration is the fact that the pasta is not the only food included in the meal. For Americans, we serve meat and have bread with almost every meal. If meat is included in the Italian meal, it is served separately in a big bowl. As the bowl is passed around, you have the option of take it or leave it. Americans tend to serve directly from the stove. (Unless they are having company and want to impress.)

It has been several months since I have had any pasta. I can't say that I miss it. I still would rather have a big bowl of broccoli with butter. So which is going to pile the pounds on. The pasta or the butter? :angel:

Addie, please stop speaking as if your experience applies to everyone :rolleyes: I've visited Italy twice, in six or so cities, and meat is certainly not always served separately like that.

I keep trying to explain to my dietician, "I'm Sicilian. We eat bread with our macaroni!" but she just doesn't seem to comprehend it.

:LOL: Larry.

After my grandfather developed Type II diabetes, my grandmother actually portioned out his food with measuring cups.

I portion my food out with measuring cups, or I use my kitchen scale, depending on the food. I can easily measure mashed potatoes and vegetables with a measuring cup, as well as conchiglie or mostaccioli. But I would fusilli trying to measure spaghetti with a measuring cup.

I weigh out pasta for SO and me. Of course that doesn't guarantee weight loss unless you weigh out smaller portions. We've cut our portions by 30% and it helps makes a difference.

My hands are small, so I can pretty well measure out a single serving. It was a lot easier though when the kids were small and the whole family sat down together at a meal. Then I just dumped the whole box in. Just enough to feed seven. And no one gained any extra weight. :angel:

Addie, please stop speaking as if your experience applies to everyone :rolleyes: I've visited Italy twice, in six or so cities, and meat is certainly not always served separately like that.

In most of the places where we ate in Italy, you basically ordered a la carte, and skipped any part of the full meal you wished. Unfortunately the food was always so good that we found it hard to skip anything, especially in Florence and the other parts of Tuscany where we spend about half of our 3 weeks. :yum:

I weigh out pasta for SO and me. Of course that doesn't guarantee weight loss unless you weigh out smaller portions. We've cut our portions by 30% and it helps makes a difference.

I am allowed ½ cup or 2oz of carbs, ½ cup of cooked vegetables and 4oz of protein. I can have as much salad as I want, as long as I limit the dressing to 2 tablespoons. I once watched Graham Kerr, on his health concious TV show called The Gathering Place, dress a salad large enough for a family of 4 with tabelspoon of dressing. He used a salad spinner! Of course, he didn't have to worry about cleaning it afterwards. The production company has people for that.

...Part of that diet includes wine with every evening meal. So for alcoholics and those folks who don't drink, that is not a recommendation...
For Americans, we serve meat and have bread with almost every meal...
Addie, I've read a number of books about the Mediterranean diet and not one said you have to include wine with your dinner. They say that if you want a glass of wine daily, to consume it with your dinner meal and, even more importantly, with friends and family who join you at table. The wine isn't a necessity. A wholesome, well balanced meal and a convivial group makes for a good dinner.

And I guess Himself and I aren't American. We never have bread with dinner, except for an occasional Grands biscuit with ham or smoked pork chops. Heck, many times I don't use bread when I make a sandwich - I wrap the meat in a lettuce leaf.

Back
Top Bottom