Peel a Head of Garlic Quickly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Apologies if someone posted this previously, but I saw this on YouTube a couple of weeks ago. My first thought when I saw this was "that can't possibly work!" But last night I tried it and it really does. I peeled 5 heads of garlic in maybe 2 minutes. You also don't have to use the humongous bowls like the guy in the video. Small metal mixing bowls work just fine.

Check it out...

How To Peel a Head of Garlic in Less Than 10 Seconds - YouTube

No way.
That does look too easy.

Great post, Steve. I gotta try that out, but I used my last toe last night.

It works. Makes lots of noise. I get the best results from the outer cloves. The inner, less evenly shaped cloves don't seem to work as well for me.

I've seen that video, good idea.

I saw somewhere here, someone said to soak garlic in water for 15 minutes and they easily shed their skins......that didn't work so much for me. My garlic might be too dry or water repellant?

I still throw them in boiling water for 1 minute, put in cold water.......the skins come off much easier for me. (for peeling 20-50 cloves at a time) I like that they are not crushed and they are whole.

I haven't tried the microwave method yet.

I saw Rachael Ray do this on her 30 minute meals show a long time ago. Unfortunately, the only pair of bowls I have are glass, and very heavy. All that noise would probably give me a headache and I'd have to stop cooking and go lie down.

I saw Rachael Ray do this on her 30 minute meals show a long time ago. Unfortunately, the only pair of bowls I have are glass, and very heavy. All that noise would probably give me a headache and I'd have to stop cooking and go lie down.

Just watching all that work made me want a nap! Use a couple of stone bowls and make it a bit quieter!

I wonder if you really need the bowls to be that big. And if so, stoneware might be well, way too heavy to toss about like that.

Lykewoah.

I wonder how many takes he had to do? If I did that, me being the klutz and butterfingers, the mixing bowl woulda smacked me in the face, lol. :P

I wonder if you really need the bowls to be that big. And if so, stoneware might be well, way too heavy to toss about like that.
Actually, the ones I used were small metal mixing bowls, maybe 6 or 7 inches in diameter. They worked just fine. I'd be willing to bet you could even get away with using plastic. I think the big ones the guy in the video uses are more for show than practicality.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom