Penzeys Spices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
OK I am very excited. I just placed my first order through Penzeys Spices. I have heard great things about them, but have never tried their stuff. Here is what I just ordered:

Fajita Seasoning
Brown Mustard Seed
Ozark Seasoning
Chicken Soup Base
Chicken Taco Seasoning
Sicilian Salad Seasoning
Garden Salad Seasoning

I can't wait to get my order :)

Oh and they were having a contest to see where they would open their next store and Boston won. That made my day!

What have you bought from Penzeys and did you like it or not?

Great choice GB!!

I actually have never ordered spices from there, but I always order Vanilla beans (Madagascar) and they are perferctly fresh & cheap!!!!!

I adore Penzey's and ahve used them for years; always, always, top quality product and new ideas. I've ordered just about everything from them, and never been dissatisfied.

Try their Foxpoint Seasoning for fish/chicken. The peppercorns are awesome. The Ozark seasoning is awesome. Oh, and do get the 'Barbeque of the Americas' - I've used it on everything!

I love their gift packs, too, and have given many away as Christmas presents.

GB, I'm jealous - I voted for Charleston, but didn't make it! I even wrote them a letter saying I'd love to manage a store in my area!

Marm, it sounds like they are trying to open a few more stores after Boston so I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

I can't say enough about Penzey's. Just got my most recent order today. I've used them for years - there is no other brand in my spice cabinet. I don't usually buy the blends (though I have a few), but I must have all the pure spices. I also get things like saffron and vanilla from them. They always send a sample size of something like lemon pepper, pasta sprinkle, or Galena Street (which I got today). The recipes in the catalogue are great, the reading material is so informative, and they seem like such a nice family when the include what they've been up to. I really like buying from them.

Never heard of these spices. Are they perhaps a regional favorite. All I remember is Watkins and now it is almost gone. I have only seen it at fairs.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS = SMASH IDAHO

norgeskog said:
Never heard of these spices. Are they perhaps a regional favorite. All I remember is Watkins and now it is almost gone. I have only seen it at fairs.

They sell it like Avon here. Look in your phone book for distributors if you are interested. Watkins has a couple products that are irreplaceable in our house.

Alix said:
norgeskog said:

They sell it like Avon here. Look in your phone book for distributors if you are interested. Watkins has a couple products that are irreplaceable in our house.

Thanks again, Alix.

I went to Google and searched. Penzeys has a website but no store close to me in Oregon, nearest I believe is Iowa, but I ordered a catalog. I will look later in my phone book. THanks Alix

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS = SMASH IDAHO SATURDAY

Penzey's is mostly in the mid-west. They're opening a store in Boston but that's 1 1/2 hours from me so I will still order on line. That's the best way. When you get their catalogue you'll see. I'm sure you'll enjoy reading it.

In the grocery store I buy Schilling or McCormick. Can't speak for everywhere, but in my small area everything else is junk. I have also ordered Penzeys off the internet and have been very satisfied with the results - fresh and fast delivery.

Penzey's

I have been ordering from Penzey's for years. Outstanding products and service! Check out the prices for the stale stuff on the grocery store shelf and compare it with Penzey's....big difference and always much fresher.

I love Penzey's cinnamon - China Cassia and Korintje Cassia. Their Vietnamese is supposed to be excellent, also.
I also really like their double vanilla extract, fines herbes and herbes de Provence.
Their Tellicherry black peppercorns are pretty good, but not bold enough for me. Next time I'm going to try both their Sarawak and Special Extra Bold Indian Peppercorns.

Merstar,

You are making really good choices on the sarawak and extra bold pepper corns.

The Sarawak doesn't even need food to accompany it. The smell alone is pure heaven!

I am a loyal Penzey's follower. I try to order almost everything from them because it's so much better quality than the store-brands and also ends up to be cheaper, usually.

Staples in my house are peppercorns, thyme, cinnamon, vanilla, garlic and onion powder, bay leaves, cumin, chile powder, dried chiles, oregano, several of the curry mixes, allspice berries, ginger, and more stuff that I am forgetting. I also have tried some of their spice blends in small quantities.

Robt is right about the pepper. I ordered both Sarawack and Xspecial awhile ago and the aroma alone put me into the trancelike state I go around in today. :shock:

Can't wait for their Boston location.

Back
Top Bottom