Pepper Oil extraction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawnn

Senior Cook

How can I extract pepper oil?
I want to mix it into toasted sesame oil, mostly so I will not eat too much oil. I need sesame oil for soups and other excellent flavoring, but it is addicting.
Eden Foods has some very expensive Toasted Sesame Oil but I really want to make it myself.

too hot!

I got 18 Habanero peppers and some started to rot right away so I ended up with only about 14. I recommend only about 8 to 10 peppers for the 16oz of oil.

I sliced them and coved them with toasted sesame oil and cooked them on low heat for a long while to get all the moisture out, foaming and steaming.
The oil is almost too hot, have to make sure not to use more than I teaspoon for a quart of soup. I may have to mix in more oil to get more of the flavor of the toasted sesame.

I got 18 Habanero peppers and some started to rot right away so I ended up with only about 14. I recommend only about 8 to 10 peppers for the 16oz of oil.

I sliced them and coved them with toasted sesame oil and cooked them on low heat for a long while to get all the moisture out, foaming and steaming.
The oil is almost too hot, have to make sure not to use more than I teaspoon for a quart of soup. I may have to mix in more oil to get more of the flavor of the toasted sesame.

Beware that there is a botulism risk with what you did. Keep the oil in the fridge and use it or throw it away within 10 days or so.

Its easier to just buy hot sesame oil.

Beware that there is a botulism risk with what you did. Keep the oil in the fridge and use it or throw it away within 10 days or so.

Yes, it's also a good idea to acidify the infusion with 1 Tbs of lemon juice or vinegar per cup of oil. Keep in the fridge and toss out if it becomes cloudy or nasty during its shelf life, according to this useful site: Oil Infusions and the Risk of Botulism. It should scare you into compliance with its list of multiple infections from infusions of garlic in oil.
But there is an obvious possibility of the oil and acid separating, and I found a 5.5 oz bottle of hot sesame oil on Amazon for $10. If you are only using 1 tsp of the oil per quart of soup, a quart (if my math is right, and it isn't always!) should only cost 31c
Cheers.

I am not worried about that, I ususaly cook the oil into what ever I am using in. I also live in the cold, never seem to get my house warm for long in the winter

I am not worried about that, I ususaly cook the oil into what ever I am using in. I also live in the cold, never seem to get my house warm for long in the winter

Botulism can be killed by heat, BUT the TOXINS it releases will kill you and they are NOT killed by heat. And they are not affected by cold. You are playing with a dangerous poison.

Back
Top Bottom