Pickled Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AfroSam2

Assistant Cook
A friend of mine brought over some pickled garlic Sunday for Superbowl sandwiches and they were AMAZING. He told me that his family had been pickling Garlic for decades and the jar he brought over has been stored for ab out 10 years.

He explained to me his process on pickling them however when doing some research online I could not find a recipe even remotely similar to his.

He says all that you do is add garlic and vinegar to a jar, wait 24hrs for bubbles to appear, re-open and then reseal the jar for at least a few months. The longer the better.

All the recipes Ive found online involve boiling, adding sugar, adding water, etc.

I am tempted to try it his way because the were so incredibly tasty, however im discouraged due to my inability of finding a recipe close to his.

Any suggestions?

There's many ways to pickle garlic. Your friend's method is just one of many. I buy regular, teriyaki, spicy, and sweet and sour. I don't know how it's done, but the people I buy from sure do a great job. If you loved his, use his recipe. It's just a variation on a theme and the theme is pickled garlic.

I just put peeled garlic in a covered jar filled with red wine vinegar. Everything is refilled as it is used. Lasts forever as you have found out. Garlic becomes mild enough to just munch on straight.

Just NEVER store garlic (or tomatoes) in oil unless you want to grow a garden of bacteria.

I put the peeled cloves in a jar and fill to cover with seasoned (sweet) rice vinegar. Stick 'em in the back of the fridge until I remember they're there. Eat 'em like candy.

I have a question. I used balsamic vinegar because it was different from the other flavors I have. Can I use the vinegar in other things? I drink pickle juice so is it any different using the vinegar from this in something?

Yes you could use the vinegar for other uses. That's one of the ways vinegars are flavored. Just keep refrigerated when it has garlic in it.

If you like the sweetness of pickled garlic, I would also suggest you try pickled leeks. They are not like Holland Onions. You can find them at your local asian market. They are also fantastic in Martinis.

Okay, DD now thinks I'm crazy. I have used up all my older vinegars that hadn't quite turned but were ready to be tossed and now have three jars of various pickled garlics. Rice Wine, Red Wine, and Balsamic. The hard part is going to be waiting for them to pickle themselves.

I adore garlic but i've never heard of it pickled. How do you use it? Sliced with chicken on a sandwich? As part of a salad?

I adore garlic but i've never heard of it pickled. How do you use it? Sliced with chicken on a sandwich? As part of a salad?
That's one way. You can also eat it straight out of the jar like candy. I usually buy it at the Ren Faire but now that I know how simple it is, I can just do it at home. You have to be careful though, it is possible to eat too much because it's so good.

That's one way. You can also eat it straight out of the jar like candy. I usually buy it at the Ren Faire but now that I know how simple it is, I can just do it at home. You have to be careful though, it is possible to eat too much because it's so good.

Thank you! I shall make some this weekend.:)

If you like some heat add some sliced fresh jalapeno to the jar with the garlic.

I do like a little heat so I plan to do this. I can't get Jalapeno locally so standard chillis will have to do.
OK, so I plan to sterilize my jars, fill with peeled cloves of garlic and a sliced chilli in each jar. I'm then going to dissolve a tsp each of sea salt and sugar in rice wine vinegar and fill each jar with this solution. Then I plan to store in the refridgerator.
Does that sound OK?

Okay, I've done three jars using clean brand new Ball mason jars. Was I supposed to boil them first? Oh well, it's too late now. How do you boil a mason jar? I've had Pyrex explode in boiling water so I try and keep glass away from water that's that hot.

Did you place your Pyrex dish directly on the bottom of the pot when you boiled it? That will break it. You need a towel or rack to keep the jar(s) off the bottom.

Jars should be "clean" before putting food in them for the refrigerator. Sterilizing doesn't do much good if they are exposed to the air and handled again, though I guess it makes people feel better.

It may have touched the metal on the bottom. It was scary because it was a clean break on one where I could have glued the pieces together and the other shattered.

I clean everything in hot, hot water. It's vinegar, a natural cleaning agent, I'm sure it will be fine.

Okay, something odd is occurring. Some of the pieces of garlic in a couple of the jars are turning blue-green. Not mold green, literally a light blueish-green. I combined my garlic with store bought already pealed garlic, but I don't know if that's the problem. I don't even have a way to know if the blue garlic is mine or the store bought. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? It's not mold because they are still hard and firm, mold generally makes things soft in my experience. It's the weirdest thing. I don't know what to do. I certainly don't want to toss the jars. Could the garlic be turning the garlic? It's in the Rice Wine Vinegar jar.

We have had posts on this before Callisto. I do not remember the reason, but I believe the bottom line is it is perfectly safe and normal. Someone else will have to jump in with the details though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom