Pickled Lemons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missM

Cook
Family member has given me a jar of her pickled lemons.
Any ideas about what to do with them?

She served them with a tangine of chicken but I'd like to try something else.

They might be interesting in a piccata dish - browned meat or chicken with a lemon-white-wine-caper sauce. Use the preserved lemon instead of fresh. You could probably leave out the wine, since the lemons are pickled already. Or use them to flavor bland pasta or couscous. I use lemon zest a lot in couscous.

Look up some north african dishes like Chicken Tangine, I think that how it spelled. Its similar to the meditteranean type of piccatta dishes although I think perhaps the flavors are richer.

I also pickle lemons to eat with Moroccan dishes that I cook. You can make some kofta with the lemons and cilantro, any chicken dishes or Indian dishes as well.

I have always been afraid to make any sort of Indian pickle. Too much labor. Too much effort if they have to be cooked gently in the warmth of the sun. No instant gratification as they take months to pickle. One could just as well step out to the Indian grocery store and buy excellent pickles, as good as homemade ones. But the lemon pickles without oil are hard to find. So far I have only found Priya's Lime Pickle that has no oil. All other pickles have a thick layer of oil, which helps preserve the pickle but I like my lemon pickle without any oil.

Harry, I see you found a recipe for "no oil" pickled lemons on the Indian Food Rocks site:)
The jar I was given is also a no oil perserve. Instead of the lemons being chopped into small pieces, they are sliced lengthwise into 6ths, salted etc. I could get you the recipe from daughter if you like.

As the blurb on the above site says, it is an effort to make your own preserves, but sometimes it pays off.

I'm in the process of making 'Dark, chunky marmalade' this evening. Just waiting until dinner is out of the way so that I can start warming the sugar and the fruit pulp for the final stage. Chunky marmalade...you just can't buy the real thing so this is definitely worth the effort.
Cheers M:)

Back
Top Bottom