Pickled olives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
A friends father use to do this, and I had forgotten until now. You take a jar of whole olives and dump them into a bowl. You repack them with fresh sliced garlic, sliced onion, and dried red pepper pods. Your call in a 16 oz. jar, but I put about five garlic pods, handful of sliced onions and six red hot peppers. Packing them is a little difficult, but it can be done. Now the hard part. You have to let it set about a month. Turning it every week. But I swear, they are really good and habit forming. If you like hot stuff, that is.

Phil, that sounds great.
Recently, we went to a wake, and I picked up what looked like a dill picle from a meat tray. It was a dill pickle, but it was HOT!!! Everyone was laughing at me for coughing and blowing smoke out my ears.
It was delicious, though...don't know if the pickles came from a store, or were homemade.

It was good, though, huh?

Constance said:
Phil, that sounds great.
Recently, we went to a wake, and I picked up what looked like a dill picle from a meat tray. It was a dill pickle, but it was HOT!!! Everyone was laughing at me for coughing and blowing smoke out my ears.
It was delicious, though...don't know if the pickles came from a store, or were homemade.[/QUOTE\

Constance, here in Texas, we put hot sauce on pancakes
:mrgreen: There are a lot of sweet-hot pickles, relishes, and a bread 'n butter pickle called Sweet Hots. Now I admit, some can go way overboard on the hot stuff. I saw a jar of salsa on a shelf called "He!! in a Jar".

Yep...

JMediger said:
Sounds good! Do you repack with the original brine or ...?[/QUOTE\

I use what was in the jar. I'll admit I haven't done this in some time and I have just used a common jar of olives. I have thought of using an import thinking some may have different, or better flavors, than the regular grocery store olives I usually buy.

Back
Top Bottom