Pie Crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
This might seem like a stupid question to many of you... but...

Is there a difference between pie crust for a sweet/fruit pie and a pie crust for a savory/meat pie?

I see pie crust in the store, both formed and in tubes. I want to buy the crust (any product recommendations?) and make meat pies, but I'm just not sure if there is something specific I should be looking for...

Obviously, I know that I won't be using a graham cracker or Oreo crust... I'm more interested in the 'tube' crusts, so I can roll them to the size I want.

Usually the pilsbury piecrusts are oldschool regular crusts that serve any purpose, from an apple pie to a really good tortiere (ground pork). They are also a LOT better than one would expect given the fact that they arent exactly from scratch or anything. Basically as you said, as long as you dont end up using an oreo crust for a chicken pot pie you should be fine. :D

Thanks, Lugaru...

I'll tackle the pastry from scratch another time, I think. This is something new for me so I thought I'd take it one step at a time.

Hi Z! I have different recipes for dessert pie crust and savory pie crust. I'd give them to you but for the slight problem that they're all packed along with most of my stuff, sitting in a cargo container, waiting shipment to Bangkok, where I'll be relocating to soon. If you don't mind waiting about a month, I can copy them and post it here when I'm all settled in the new place.

Check the ingredients on the package ... if it contains any kind of sugar it's a sweet crust - if not, you can use it for either sweet or savory.

The only things I put in pie crust no matter whether it is sweet or savory is flour, butter, and ice water. I know some people do use sugar or other flavorings, but I never have. IMHO seasonings would detract from the filling. However, my mother would make cinnamon pie. When she made pie she always made extra crust, she would let my brother and I roll it out, lightly spread with butter and srinkle with cinnamon and sugar mix. We would then cut it into squares and bake. We always loved that. I may have to do that soon, miss that little treat.

I just used the Marie Callender for a pot pie (double crust) and I thought they were VERY good - better than Pillsbury. REALLY flakey and good.

And like everyone else said - the same crust for both sweet and savory. You can, however, if making from scratch, add thyme or other herbs to your dough - even a bit of cream cheese or goat cheese.

kitchenelf said:
if making from scratch, add thyme or other herbs to your dough - even a bit of cream cheese or goat cheese.

YUM! Thanks for the advice elf... I'll try Marie's first and, it that works out as well as you say, I might not need to go home made for a while... but if I DO, I'll definitely be herbing it up as you suggested.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom