Pineapple and Muenster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pingree92

Assistant Cook
I made this pineapple dip.. it asked for mozzarella but I didn’t have any so used Muenster cheese instead. It had a sharp sour taste and didn’t taste good at all. Does Muenster taste radically different once heated or does it not mix well with pineapple?

Hi there and welcome! I see this is your first post.
Difficult to say what the problem is without actually seeing the recipe, but I´ve got some thoughts:
1) Did you use fresh or tinned pineapple?
2) Muenster is a pretty mild cheese, but it is painted with annato to give it an orange rind. Annato can sometimes be bitter.
3) I doubt it´s the Muenster which is sharp ( can´t be sure, though). What other ingredients does the dip include?

Welcome to DC, pingree92!

I'm interested to hear more about this recipe too! DH eats a slice of fresh pineapple every morning. And, there are some things one can do with canned pineapple and fresh won't work.

Thanks for your help! Below are the ingredients. I used fresh pineapple.

Pineapple
Olive oil
Red onions
Canadian bacon
Green chili’s
Cream cheese
Sour cream
Mozzarella but substituted Muenster
Cheddar cheese
Bacon
Scallions

The only thing in that recipe that looks like it might be bitter is if you left the seeds in the chilis. I really doubt that it's the Muenster. Have you tasted the Muenster on its own?

What kind of Olive Oil did you use? I find, sometimes, an Extra Virgin can be too strong for certain dishes. Frankly, I think EVO can be overused or mis-used. I've been known to use Canola or a lighter Olive Oil in flavor when I feel or know the EVO will be too much.

I does sound like a rather involved dip! What do they call out to serve with the dip?

I tried the Muenster on its own after I cooked the dip and it was super bitter. That’s why I was thinking it was the Muenster. I had tried the Muenster before cooking and it tasted fine

I believe just regular giant eagle olive oil. They said to fry up some pizza dough but I just used some chips.

Thanks for your help! Below are the ingredients. I used fresh pineapple.

Pineapple
Olive oil
Red onions
Canadian bacon
Green chili’s
Cream cheese
Sour cream
Mozzarella but substituted Muenster
Cheddar cheese
Bacon
Scallions

Wow again. Too much cheese and two bacons!! My flavour sensors ask me: is this (a) a cheese dip (b) a cheese and pineapple dip or (c) a bacon dip? Confusing.
In my humble opinion, I´d cut out the second lot of bacon, the mozzarella and the cheddar. If it´s a bit dry just add some mayo.
Your green chiles - were they fresh, or out of a jar? That could be where the taste problem is.

Wow again. Too much cheese and two bacons!! My flavour sensors ask me: is this (a) a cheese dip (b) a cheese and pineapple dip or (c) a bacon dip? Confusing.
As the recipe title says, it's Hawaiian (pineapple) Pizza Dip (pork products and cheese) ;)

I agree that the recipe is a bit over the top, but some people like that.

As the recipe title says, it's Hawaiian (pineapple) Pizza Dip (pork products and cheese) ;)

I agree that the recipe is a bit over the top, but some people like that.

Copy that. I should watch more episodes of Hawaii 5-O.:cool:
Last time I was in Cincinnati, I tried their Beer Cheese. Same opinion, but heck did it go down well with a few beers!

Muenster and Mozzarella are VERY different cheeses. Although, Muenster can go with sweet things. I grew up having toast with grape jelly and slices of Muenster cheese. It worked. I haven't had it in decades. I need to try it again to see if I still like it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom