Pink Eyed Peas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mamalovelock

Assistant Cook
I purchased some pink eyed peas for the first time ever yesterday. I am wondering if I can cook them in my crock pot and if so do i need to boil them for a little while first? *Also does anyone know how long they may take to cook in crock pot? Need some guidance here, I'm in uncharted territory! Lol. :wacko::chef::)

Welcome to DC.
Pink eyed peas? Are they Pink eyed purple hulled? Are they fresh or dry. Fresh ones will only take about 20 minutes on the stove top. I would not put them in the crock pot they are easy to over cook. Dry ones should take about as long to cook as dry Black Eyed Peas, ( Bacon always helps)

Josie

Yes they are the pink eyed purple hulled. Wow, only twenty minutes! That's great. They are fresh. Can't wait to try them out! Thanks!

For pink-eyed purple hulls, 20 minutes is pushing it just a tad IMO....You can certainly check them for doneness after 20 minutes, but if you get a raw/green taste you may want to cook longer. They should hold their shape, and be tender when done. Simmering/slow boiling is the preferred method of cooking....Any of the usual seasoning meats (hocks, salt pork, bacon, ham, tasso, pig tails, etc etc, etc, work well ~ Bacon especially is good. Salt to taste!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
If they are purple hulls, I want to try growing them next year! Do they taste like black-eyed peas? Do the "eyes" turn color when you cook them? Never heard of them, I'll have to hunt for them when it comes time to buy seeds next January...

Pink-eyes are milder than black-eyed peas...The black-eyes have an 'earthy' flavor...especially the dried ones. The "pink-eye"can be various shades of pink/pale reddish. ~~ When cooked the eye darkens. You'll need 65 yo 75 days of mostly full sun.....

Fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom