Pistachio cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuzzmark

Assistant Cook
I'm new here & jumping right in with a question! I'm from MA & was wondering if anyone here has ever been to Mike's Pastry in Boston's North End. If you have, you may have had their pistachio cookies. OMG! They are incredible. So here's the question...Has anyone duplicated the recipe? I have tried & tried, but still nothing like them. I've been using almond paste, but now I'm wondering if they use that at all. I tried beating the egg whites till stiff, not dry. I tried beating them till frothy. I dropped them in the mixture of almond paste & sugar, both 10X and/or white. Used flour and no flour. I think you get the picture. Speaking of which I inserted a picture of them. Aye yai yai!!!! I SO want to make these babies!
Help anyone?
Clara aka nuzzmark

Attachments

• pistachio cookie pic.jpg
    pistachio cookie pic.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,447
Hi! Thank you! You know..I think I saw this & completely forgot about it! At my grocery store, they sell almond paste..Odense. It's with all the baking stuff. If they have it at your store, make sure you get almond paste....not the marzipan. It's $5.99
I need to get more of the almond paste myself. Probably more pistachio's too..lol. I got some at BJ's Wholesale club & they're called "Wonderful" pistachios...roasted & salted...$10.99 for a 1 lb. bag.
Thanks again....
Clara

Last edited:
You're welcome. I had no idea I was being helpful regarding gluten but I'm sure glad it has none so that you can give these a go. I can't wait to make them for a pre-christmas dinner party I'm going to next week. Thanks Clara for letting us all know about these.

I'll report back with my critique...oh that reminds me, I have to post how my "Blessing of the Blender Party" went last weekend. (Here's a hint...awesomely wowee zowee)

uh... never heard of them before but I had to comment because that cookie looks absolutely delicious. I think I might try that recipe...

Okay, so my husband likes pistachios and he likes maccaroons - I think this recipie is the best of both worlds - gonna try it. Thanks for posting this.

Be cautious because the link is not a TNT (not tried by me anyway) recipe...it's just the only one I could find and the poster is trying to replicate a secret recipe.

Here is a link to mikespastry.com if you want to order them and have them shipped....only problem is that they're quite pricey...$15 per pound plus shipping.

mikespastry: Pistachio Nut (Mike's Own) Macaroons by the Pound

I'm going to make these myself and probably tweak* the recipe so I'll let you know how it goes.

*...for instance, the recipe says to take a level Tblsp of the dough and roll into balls...um, that is a miniscule amount for making a cookie...and I don't think they were rolled into balls as they aren't that uniform in shape. The instructions forget to mention to coat them in powdered sugar after baking

Last edited:
$15 a pound does sound pricey....until you go to make them yourself. $5.99 for 1 tube of almond paste. This recipe calls for 2 8oz. cans of almond paste. I couldn't find "cans". I got the Odense Almond paste & they are 7 oz. tubes. $10.99 for a 1 pound bag of pistachios. ( you use about 1/2 the bag) So right there you have over $15.00 & you get about 2 dozen. I didn't weigh them.....maybe they are 1-2 lbs.?????
The picture from Mike's Pastry where you can order them, does not look like the cookie at all. The one's I've bought from there are a good 2", more square & about 1" thick. Big cookie!
Oh well.......I'll try them again, but not now.
Anyone who tries them, please let us know how they came out!
Clara

$15 a pound does sound pricey....until you go to make them yourself. $5.99 for 1 tube of almond paste. This recipe calls for 2 8oz. cans of almond paste. I couldn't find "cans". I got the Odense Almond paste & they are 7 oz. tubes. $10.99 for a 1 pound bag of pistachios. ( you use about 1/2 the bag) So right there you have over $15.00 & you get about 2 dozen. I didn't weigh them.....maybe they are 1-2 lbs.?????
The picture from Mike's Pastry where you can order them, does not look like the cookie at all. The one's I've bought from there are a good 2", more square & about 1" thick. Big cookie!
Oh well.......I'll try them again, but not now.
Anyone who tries them, please let us know how they came out!
Clara

Here in California I can get pistachios for half or less than half of that price so I really should try them.

Okay, so my husband likes pistachios and he likes maccaroons - I think this recipie is the best of both worlds - gonna try it. Thanks for posting this.

I'm going to make these myself and probably tweak* the recipe so I'll let you know how it goes.

*...for instance, the recipe says to take a level Tblsp of the dough and roll into balls...um, that is a miniscule amount for making a cookie...and I don't think they were rolled into balls as they aren't that uniform in shape. The instructions forget to mention to coat them in powdered sugar after baking

Gee, sounds iffy. Perhaps you both should send a few my way. I'll bravely test them for you. ;)

I thought I posted this the other day, but it must have gone into cyber space! Anyway, I made the cookies from the recipe that called for 2 8 oz. cans of almond paste. I couldn't find that at my market, so I used the tubes that are 7 oz. each. They came out flat. The ones on the next tray covered the whole tray! So, I took the remaining dough, maybe 1 cup (?) & added about 1/3 cup flour, 1 tsp. bkg. powder & another egg white. They came out a little puffier & didn't spread as much. I won't make any more right now, but I have a question. What would be the difference between stiffly beaten (not dry)egg whites folded into the dough and egg whites beaten until frothy & poured into the dough in the mixer & beaten with the paddle attachment?

Wait...I did another search for the cookies & completely forgot that I posted this on another forum. I couldn't find this recipe among all mine...I must have kept it as a saved file!
I remember they did come out pretty good. I think you have to bake them just until lightly golden. I'm all out of pistachios & almond paste!!! lol Maybe I'll make them for New Year's! lol

Chewy Pistachio Cookies
1/2 cup egg white, room temp. I used dried egg whites (8 tsps. dried egg whites & 1/2 cup warm water)
1 tsp. almond extract
1-7oz box almond paste, grated
2 1/3 cups 10X sugar
3 Tbls. all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups shelled pistachios
10X sugar to roll the cookies in
3 drops green food coloring

Grind about 2 cups of pistachios, but not into the texture of paste. Coarsely chop the remaining pistachios. You can use your judgement on how many nuts to grind & chop.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2-3 cookie sheets (depending on how big you make the cookies) with parchment paper.

In large bowl, combine the eggs whites with green food coloring. Beat egg whites & extract until firm, but not dry. In separate bowl, combine grated almond paste, flour & 10X sugar. Beat until mixture resembles small crumbs. Stir in pistachios. Mix well with wooden spoon. Fold in beaten egg whites.

Drop on parchment paper, either by Tbls. or with wire release scoop. I used the small scoop, but make them bigger if you like. They really don't spread much, so you can put them fairly close, about 1 1/2 inches apart.

I have been using the rack above the center one in the oven. I find that cookies come out more evenly baked.

Bake 12-14 minutes. Centers should be slightly soft & bottoms lightly browned. This keeps them chewy. Cool a couple of minutes before removing them from parchments paper. Gently roll them in 10X sugar & place them on wire racks.

I freeze my cookies, so I didn't roll all of them. Just the one's DH & I ate ! When I want to make a plate to give as a gift, I make the plate right from the freezer. I roll whatever needs to be rolled in 10X sugar then. I think it sticks better.

If you try them, let me know what you think.
Clara

Last edited:
That's good nuzzmark...i'll try them...but I have a question. It seems this question was asked but I can't find it: Is almond paste the same as marzipan?

Mollyanne....

Is almond paste the same as marzipan?
no...marzipan is completely different. make sure you check the pkg. when buying it. Marzipan is a paste you roll out & make shapes of fruits, or flowers.
hope you like the cookies!
Clara

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom