Pistachio recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmeheran

Senior Cook
My wife bought some pistachios the other day. They are not salted, brother are they bland, but not stale. So, I think if someone could suggest a simple recipe it would be greatly appreciated. I have heard of things like cashew chicken, a friend likes that one. Perhaps some type of pound cake... Oh! Now I remember, I was looking online for pistachio recipes and several suggested using pistachio pudding in the recipe. Huh!!! We do not have anything like Central Market or Whole Foods down here in the benighted lands, so no pistachio pudding or mango tang etc.

Pistachio baklava is THE BEST. I have a recipe that is great- none of that cinnamon and clove cover up for inferior nuts! Let me know if you want it.

Siegal said:
Pistachio baklava is THE BEST. I have a recipe that is great- none of that cinnamon and clove cover up for inferior nuts! Let me know if you want it.

Yes, please!

How about pistachio pesto? Sub the pists for the pine nuts. Pist butter, throw the nuts into the food processer with a bit of oil, some salt, and use in place of peanut butter.

Last edited:
This is from my all time favorite cookbook Aroma of Aleppo. It sounds simple but that is what makes it so good...and the pistachio instead of the not as yummy walnut. But it is so good - people go nuts when I make it (pun!)

Anyway here is the recipe:
I have used 9 inch round cake pans but I always end up with too much pistachio so try a little bit bigger pan.
mix 1½ lbs shelled pistachios chopped, 2 Tbsp powdered sugar, and 1/4 cup butter.

melt a cup of butter and layer 12 sheet of phyllo pastry, brushed with butter (like a disgusting amount of butter) between each layer. put the nuts in after 12 layers, then do 12 more layers. Pour any extra butter over the top. Refrigerate it for about half and hour until its firm enough to cut into triangles. Then bake at 350 for one hour.

make sugar syrup: 1/2 cup water melted with 1.5 cups sugar a teaspoon of lemon juice and a 1/2 teaspoon of orange flower or rose water. Let it boil for about 15 mins until its thick but still pourable. Refrigerate. Make sure the syrup is cold when you pour it over the hot baklava when it comes out of the oven. So usually I make the syrup first. I usually have some left over but it depends on how much syrup you like.

Wow that sounds delicious! Basil, cilantro, pistachios, garlic, Olive or pistachio oil, lemon or lime zest, Parmesan or Asiago cheese. I'm looking forward to trying it!

The main reason I don't buy pistachios is that an open container is an empty container! The only thing the shells do is slow me down a bit. Same end result! :)

Wow that sounds delicious! Basil, cilantro, pistachios, garlic, Olive or pistachio oil, lemon or lime zest, Parmesan or Asiago cheese. I'm looking forward to trying it!

The main reason I don't buy pistachios is that an open container is an empty container! The only thing the shells do is slow me down a bit. Same end result! :)

Same here - I can't stop eating them!

The folks at Jello make pistachio pudding mix, Pmeheron. I'm sure you can find it in your regular supermarket. Although I'd want to see the recipe before recommending it.

Pistachios are very big (literally as well as figuratively) in Sicily. See if you can find a book on Sicillian cooking, and I'd bet there will be recipes in it using them.

I like to crush them, and use them as a breading when panfrying fish and chicken. They also can sub anytime pinenuts are called for. And a handful of pistachios in a pate is often the crowning touch.

pistachios are also popular in turkish cuisine.

my neighbors make turkish baklava using pistachios, and a similar dish called ekmek kadiyifi which uses shredded phyllo instead of sheets. here's a close recipe, just sub pistachios for the hazelnuts: Kadayif Recipe

i've also had greek ekmek katayifi, which is similar to the turkish version but the shredded phyllo is atop a pistachio custard.

my neighbors also make milk and nut pudding that's topped with pistachios. another close recipe: Turkish Milk and Almond Pudding (Keskul) Recipe | Yummly

Last edited:
buckytom said:
pistachios are also popular in turkish cuisine.

my neighbors make turkish baklava using pistachios, and a similar dish called ekmek kadiyifi which uses shredded phyllo instead of sheets. here's a close recipe, just sub pistachios for the hazelnuts: Kadayif Recipe

i've also had greek ekmek katayifi, which is similar to the turkish version but the shredded phyllo is atop a pistachio custard.

my neighbors also make milk and nut pudding that's topped with pistachios. another close recipe: Turkish Milk and Almond Pudding (Keskul) Recipe | Yummly

I have been dying to may kadayif. I just couldn't get shredded phyllo! Where did you find it?

Pistachio Biscotti Italian Cookies or Baklava

I agree with the Baklava. Biscotti in Italy normally calls for almonds however, pistachios can be quite fabulous.

*** Recipes sent on request.

M.C.

Pistachio Breading for Fish or Chicken

@ H.F.

Hi Brook,

this sounds quite interesting ... in Spain and Sicily ( the Moorish - year 800 ) they use more almonds in their pastries and concoctions however, in Turkey and Greece they use pistachios more.

Have to try this.

Thanks for idea.
Margi.

Nope! None of the regular grocery stores carry pistachio pudding here. Now, Central Market might carry it, but the nearest one is up in San Antonio. It is about 150 miles north of here and therefor impractical to go there. The customers here in Kingsville are only interested in beans, burritos and beer.

Nope! None of the regular grocery stores carry pistachio pudding here. Now, Central Market might carry it, but the nearest one is up in San Antonio. It is about 150 miles north of here and therefor impractical to go there. The customers here in Kingsville are only interested in beans, burritos and beer.

Oh, as an addendum to the previous post, I need to add that in recent years the only pistachio ice cream I have seen contains almonds instead of pistachios.

@ PM: Pistachio Biscotti Cookies

As per your request, here is one of our family recipes from Grandmom Margherite and I:

Makes 5 dozen ( and they are lovely with breakfast coffee )

2 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
4 large eggs
2 tsps sweetened butter room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 cups shelled pistachios chopped

1) preheat the oven at 300 degrees farenheit
2) Grease and flour 2 large cookie sheets.
3) mix the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl with an electric mixer
4) add eggs, room temperature butter, vanilla and almond extracts
5) blend ingredients well until combined
6) stir in the pistachios
7) transfer dough to a cutting board well floured
8) using well floured hands, form into 5 or 6 logs of 1 x 6 "
9) space the logs on the cookie sheets 2 1/2 " apart ( they extend in baking ) that have been prepared
10) bake until light golden brown about 1 hour
11) transfer the logs to the cooking board, and using a serrated knife, slice the logs on the diagonal into 1/2 inch wide biscotti.
12) then place biscotti on the cookie sheets with cut surface facing down
13) re- bake for about 30 mins until golden brown
14) let cool on rack

Have a nice Sunday.
Keep us posted.

*** one can make a risotto with pistachios too ... any recipe calling for almonds shall work ...

MC

I have been dying to may kadayif. I just couldn't get shredded phyllo! Where did you find it?

i'll ask my neighbours. they probably buy it in a nearby middle eastern market, but i wouldn't put it past them that they make it themselves. they do almost everything from scratch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom