"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2017, 04:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
AtotehZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1
Question Pizza(low fat), substitute ingredient to cheese?

Hello guys,

This is my first post on the forum. I made my account here to ask a question.

I'm trying to cut down on fat in my pizza and thought the best way to do that was to either cut down on the cheese fat. Whether that's done by finding a low fat cheese or cutting cheese and replacing it with a substitute ingredient I don't know.

Do you have any experience with making low fat pizza that tastes as close to normal as possible?

AtotehZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,392
Welcome to DC. Can't help you as IMO, there is no substitute for full fat cheese. There are part skim milk cheeses, but I'm not sure if they are low fat.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:24 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,885
it is myth that pizza need cheese. Also some of the "original" pizza dont have cheese. Original pizza marinara doesnt have cheese and there is many other types that dont have cheese.

Why dont you try it?
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
it is myth that pizza need cheese. Also some of the "original" pizza dont have cheese. Original pizza marinara doesnt have cheese and there is many other types that dont have cheese.

Why dont you try it?
What is and where did that pizza come from?
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,885
Italy: Pizza is just a piece of left over bread dough, with left over on top and bake and cheese was expensive. So if you have marinara sauce, a tomato sauce made for sailor dont contain fish at all, you topped the bread with that and baked it and top it with basil. Dinner.

Dad friend Julius, used to make this amazing pizza with olive oil, thins slices of onion, aubergine, tomatoes, basil baked. That how his nona made pizza. She only used the cheese she made for new year, weddings and family party in the summer, otherwise she sold it. I remember him talk about how he loved her pizzas, she used other veggies to and sometimes anchovies but never cheese. I miss Julius.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,446
a little bit of fresh grated Parmesan, Gran Padano, or Romano goes a long way....
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:21 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Italy: Pizza is just a piece of left over bread dough, with left over on top and bake and cheese was expensive. So if you have marinara sauce, a tomato sauce made for sailor dont contain fish at all, you topped the bread with that and baked it and top it with basil. Dinner.

Dad friend Julius, used to make this amazing pizza with olive oil, thins slices of onion, aubergine, tomatoes, basil baked. That how his nona made pizza. She only used the cheese she made for new year, weddings and family party in the summer, otherwise she sold it. I remember him talk about how he loved her pizzas, she used other veggies to and sometimes anchovies but never cheese. I miss Julius.
Was there pizza before tomatoes?
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Italy: Pizza is just a piece of left over bread dough, with left over on top and bake and cheese was expensive. So if you have marinara sauce, a tomato sauce made for sailor dont contain fish at all, you topped the bread with that and baked it and top it with basil. Dinner.

Dad friend Julius, used to make this amazing pizza with olive oil, thins slices of onion, aubergine, tomatoes, basil baked. That how his nona made pizza. She only used the cheese she made for new year, weddings and family party in the summer, otherwise she sold it. I remember him talk about how he loved her pizzas, she used other veggies to and sometimes anchovies but never cheese. I miss Julius.
That's not pizza - that's flatbread
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,885
Yes, pizza exited pre tomatoes , but not as we know it. Pizza means flat bread, 997 AD in Geata Italy, the tenants have to give the bishop duodecim pizze ( 12 pizza) at Christmas. Flat breads are boring and humans always tries to make food more fun, so people used to add stuff on top. Romans did flat breads flavored with herb, vegetable , suet and lot of other weird stuff. Greeks did it too. Persian cooked flat bread with dates and cheese on their shields. In Mediterranean countries, every one has their form of topped flat breads.
But the pizza most people think of came to be 18th or early 19th century, no one is really sure when tomatoes became the done thing. And even then the cheese drenched pizza we think of, didnt really exist until Italians got to USA. That is where the cheese explosion happened. Every country has their own form of pizza now.

So if you love pizza but can try other topped flat bread and see if you like it too.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,885
GotGarlic: Try to say that to Julius and he would scream at you. A very passionate Italian guy.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,412
Pizza is a flatbread, but not all flatbreads are pizza, at least by definition since the late 1800s. Flatbreads are known to have existed since ancient times in Greece, Italy, Egypt, Babylon, entire Middle Eastern area. Italy doesn't have the singular honor of inventing flatbread. What is known as today's pizza was invented in the late 1800s and the first known shop making it shortly after that in Naples.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,885
medtran as I said in my post, but also not all pizza has cheese or tomatoes.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Yes, pizza exited pre tomatoes , but not as we know it. Pizza means flat bread, 997 AD in Geata Italy, the tenants have to give the bishop duodecim pizze ( 12 pizza) at Christmas.
Pizza in Italian means pie - it's a broad category, not a specific item.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
CakePoet is absolutely correct. I've been to Naples a few times (where pizza, as we know it, originated), and not all pizza has cheese on it. And the ones that do aren't usually buried in cheese like we make it here in the states.

Pretty much this:
The Pizza Marinara Recipe and Preparation - Silvio Cicchi
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #15
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
a little bit of fresh grated Parmesan, Gran Padano, or Romano goes a long way....
That would be my solution!

Always focus on keeping the flavor and a small amount of the sinful ingredient or else you will feel deprived!

For a little extra flavor try adding a couple tablespoons of grated cheese to the flour when you mix up the dough.

Another option would be to cut back on the amount of really, really good pizza and have a gigantic side salad with your slice.

One slice instead of two and the fat calories are cut in half!

Good luck!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #16
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,885
Gotgarlic: no the word comes from the pitta, then became pizza and that was a flatt bread. Isnt la torta is pie, apple pie is torta di mele but mine Italian is not as good as yours, I am not fluent and it been ages since I used it. I will ask Mino about instead.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Gotgarlic: no the word comes from the pitta, then became pizza and that was a flatt bread. Isnt la torta is pie, apple pie is torta di mele but mine Italian is not as good as yours, I am not fluent and it been ages since I used it. I will ask Mino about instead.
I don't claim to be fluent in Italian (although I studied French and Spanish [both Romance languages like Italian] and Greek & Latin Root Words), but I read a lot and I'm good at research. Pie in English can be many things, sweet or savory (English has different word origins than Romance languages). Torta is a sweet pie. Pizza, as you say, comes from pita, a flatbread that can be translated as pie. You will frequently hear people in the United States refer to pizza as pie but not bread.

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #18
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,885
So all Americans do is right?

But Torta di Tortellini isnt sweet nor is Torta verde al radicchio.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't claim to be fluent in Italian (although I studied French and Spanish [both Romance languages like Italian] and Greek & Latin Root Words), but I read a lot and I'm good at research. Pie in English can be many things, sweet or savory (English has different word origins than Romance languages). Torta is a sweet pie. Pizza, as you say, comes from pita, a flatbread that can be translated as pie. You will frequently hear people in the United States refer to pizza as pie but not bread.

Sorry, I made a mistake. Torta is an enclosed pie. That's what makes it distinct from flatbread.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
So all Americans do is right?
That's a strange conclusion. I certainly didn't say that.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheese, fat, pizza, substitute

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.